Give Me a Reason for The Season

Reaction score
OK, every one is on the "Let's fire coach McCarthy" band wagon and I'm lucky not to have the job
that makes decisions like that, but here's one question I would love to have explained to me.

How does a relatively successful coach, who worked with two of the greatest QB of our time, fall
so far out of whack coaching the best football team of the ages?????????

There has to be something personal that made him decide to stop trying to keep the Packers successful.....
#1...Could it be money?
#2...Secretly wanting to coach another team, (Like Holmgren did) ?
#3...Close door disagreements among the powers that be?
#4...Medical issues?
#5...Given poor players through FA or the draft?

I'd like for you to add your guess here

Cheers

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, every one is on the "Let's fire coach McCarthy" band wagon and I'm lucky not to have the job
that makes decisions like that, but here's one question I would love to have explained to me.

How does a relatively successful coach, who worked with two of the greatest QB of our time, fall

There has to be something personal that made him decide to stop trying to keep the Packers successful.....
#1...Could it be money?
#4...Medical issues?

Cheers
Your post does not match the title unless you assume that we ALL agree with you that the reason for this season is all on MCcarthy.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complacency.
Stubborness.
Set in his ways.
Lack of flexibility.

I'm not trying to bag on McCarthy, but those are his main problems, I think.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

#1...Could it be money?
#4...Medical issues?

Cheers
Stubborness and an inability to look inside and see where future growth will come from. MM got stuck somewhere around 2015 and has been running pretty much the same game plan since.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your post does not match the title unless you assume that we ALL agree with you that the reason for this season is all on MCcarthy.
Good point. The lack of success isn’t ALL on MM. Lack of execution by the players (well, a lot of the players) comes to mind. IMO, only Davante Adams and Bakhtiari are playing at a championship level.

That said, teams don’t fire players, they fire HCs. It is time for MM to move on. He’s too stubborn and refuses to grow. And a HC should be more than a glorified OC. Not sure who coaches GB next season, but assuming it’s not MM, it needs to be someone who can manage all aspects of the game, rely more on the coordinators, and keep a big picture in mind. MM is a pure offensive coach. That’s the job of the OC. My guess is that MM and maybe Philbin will be gone next year. Leave it up to Gluten and whoever the new HC is to select the rest of the coaching staff.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Which team are you talking about?

Gimme some of what you are smoking.

It's not what I'm smoking, it's that your forgetting the Packers legacy for wins.

Some fans are just fair weather fans and jump on the band wagon only when a team is winning.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are many reasons for change when you have 12 and you are sub .500....he cannot do it all. the minute our offense gets the team up, the defense goes down. what does that say? to me it says a lack of everything that is needed and it starts with the head coach down. great coaches adjust, good ol boys ride hall of fame qb's and do not change what they become comfortable with. that is what we have here. good ol boys club. murphy, thompson, mccarthy, capers in that order. the org needs all of these replaced imho. these pieces got a lucky superbowl and got comfortable. when you have an aaron rodgers you need to continue to evolve. i hate to say it but look at pittsburgh. that coach keeps evolving in a winning fashion. keeps drafting quality. this yrs draft to me was the first decent draft we have had in 5 years. the gm is younger and sees the forest for the trees, mccarthy and murphy do not.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not what I'm smoking, it's that your forgetting the Packers legacy for wins.

Some fans are just fair weather fans and jump on the band wagon only when a team is winning.
If you look at the entire history of the NFL, I daresay the Packers are the best football team of the ages.

Ah you're looking at franchise. I'd agree.

But then you're effectively comparing MM to Vince Lombardi....seriously?

This is a weak team. MM is just part of the problem. It's lot more than just him. The lack of reinforcements, injuries and ARs drop in form...are just compounded by bad game plan.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah you're looking at franchise. I'd agree.

But then you're effectively comparing MM to Vince Lombardi....seriously?
I don't see how that's effectively comparing MM to Vince Lombardi - at all.

McCarthy did a nice job coaching the Packers to the Super Bowl in the 2010 season. And his offense the next year was one of the most potent ever. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have changed with the times well, and his offense has become stale and predictable. It's too bad, because this team was on a good run, certainly better than most of the teams in the league.

I'm not happy with the "only one Super Bowl each with two HOF quarterbacks" though. If Rodgers was/is really a GOAT candidate, then he's the LeBron James of the NFL. And if you have LeBron James on your team, you move heaven and earth to surround him with winning talent. I know the salary cap is a big obstacle, but the team has failed to do that the last several years. Ted tried to run the team on the cheap, they kept Capers too long, etc. There was one gentleman on ESPN today who said that they've already wasted Rodgers prime (because he's banged up now).

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A reason for the season?
Oh thank god this is about the Packers and not about putting the Christ back into Christmas.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry Mike but when I read the OP, THAT was the way you came across. Crap happens and we have to suck it up and hope next season is better.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts