Gilbert Brown to return to the packers and play again?

bsmith_501

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL | G. Brown has not ruled out a return to the NFL
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:53:21 -0700

Tamira Surprenant, of the Capital Times, reports former NFL DT Gilbert Brown has not completely ruled out a return to the NFL. Brown was on the mend following left knee surgery when he was released by the Green Bay Packers in March of 2004. Brown still has aspirations to renew his career and has been keeping the lines of communications open with the Packers. "I am talking to (Packers general manager) Ted Thompson, but I don't know what is going to come about," Brown said in a recent interview. "But a guy in my situation will probably have to wait until after the draft (April 29 and 30) before he starts getting calls. So I'm just in a holding pattern right now, just try to stay in shape and be ready when they do call me." Brown added this will be the last year for him to attempt a comeback.

from kffl.com
Just a quick note; Brown is 35 years old, which is old for a defensive lineman. What are your thoughts?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhhhh.....The Grave Digger!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh how I would love to see ol' 93 in the Green and Gold again!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's 35...and injury prone like none-other...although he's been out of football for 2? years now...which is a little less tear on his body than a typical 35 year old NFL D.T.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, this is a pipe dream.

Think he could get a job with his resume somewhere...

If you had the luxury of just playing him for a handfull of downs he could possibly still be effective.

Should get a shot at being a back-up somewhere, prob not here though.

Kinda would like to see him back in green and gold...Come off the bench for a few downs.

A favorite. I'd love to see the digger again. :D

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah football wise I don't know how much he could help. I say throw in in the middle and let him fall down, When your that big you got to be useful for something.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gotta like the guys heart...

Don't always rule out the old guys...there's still some gas left in the tank...

Would be a tremendous asset in the locker room....

(and i'm not just talking about the size of his posterior...!)

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love big Gilbert Brown. I picked a pass with him and ran it back for a TD on one of my football games. I have the video stored on my Xbox.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
I love big Gilbert Brown. I picked a pass with him and ran it back for a TD on one of my football games. I have the video stored on my Xbox.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Wow that must have been one heck of a slow run!

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was only about 30 yards or so. He did break a few tackles, though. He wouldn't have made it if it was 31 yards.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i always thought he looked soooo bad-*** with that tinted lens on his helmet. *****-****A WEARS SUNGLASSES WHILE HE'S PLAYING!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's just looking for a chance right now, so why not. If he has actually gotten himself healed up and in good shape, then sign him at the vet's minimum with no bonus. See how he does in TC.

No cost if to cut him, but big upside if he is ready to play. He might be able to play up to greedy Grady's level.

Right now our only run stuffers are Picket and Washington. Washington has done nothing thusfar.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Grady is gone, why NOT give the big guy a chance? He sure has the HEART for it, he WANTS to play here. (Unlike walker)

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only if there was an injury in that area(God forbid), and all other options were gone, would TT consider him. I'd love to see him play in the Green 'n' Gold again(at a reasonable ability) but realistically I don't see it happening.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think the Packers should give Gilbert a chance, he does heart lots more you can say about some new guys that want money money money. Put him in the middle or just prop him up there..LOL

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Let the Big Man try to make a go of it, the man can still eat up two blockers at the point of attack, play him 10 to 20 plays a game in rotation. Would love to see the emotion that him brought to the field again, but realistically let him come to camp and give it a whirl.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he does come back it'll be a 1 yr minium wage type of deal... At worse I think he'd provide good depth to the line.. He was on the radio a couple months back said he was working out..

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Let the Big Man try to make a go of it, the man can still eat up two blockers at the point of attack, play him 10 to 20 plays a game in rotation. Would love to see the emotion that him brought to the field again, but realistically let him come to camp and give it a whirl.

Man you gotta LOVE football to wanna come back and play nose at his age. I mean your entire goal is to just take up blockers so others can reap the glory, with a little icing thrown in when some rb is forced back in your direction. That's love for the game.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the SAME at BOTH Fan Fests. He was telling the fans to bug the coach into giving him a chance. I say, what the heck! See if he DOES have anything left in the rather enormus tank!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he will be playing in GB.

TT likes his kind of players.

A couple of years out of pro football, willing to play for the minimum, minimum, minimum wage !!! He is not a blockbuster free agency signing, just what TT likes !!!!!

Have a good evening....

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts