Gibbs??

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Gibbs really call 2 time outs in a row to ice the kicker, thereby incurring a 15 yard penalty???

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Redskin's radio discussing this as I live in Virginia. Gibbs maintains he was unaware of the rule. A couple callers thought that was probably a lie. One caller implied that Gibbs might have even done this to take full blame on the loss on himself and off the players. It is all crazy. I guess I am inclined to believe a guy like Gibbs though. If he said he didn't know the rule, then he didn't know the rule.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most serious fans know this rule so It's hard to believe Gibbs wouldn't.
I also heard on ESPN this morning that Gibbs didn't know that his team would only have 10 players on the field on their 1st defensive play in honor of #21.
If both these things are the case, I have to question if Joe Gibbs is in touch with reallity anymore.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think after the amount of emotions that team has experienced this week.. they probably were spent by then. Not really normal circumstances with a funeral to attend today and dealing with everything else.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe so...........it just seems weird that he GAVE the other team the winning FG. Maybe had they not got the 15 yards, maybe their kicker would have missed it. I don't know.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Maybe so...........it just seems weird that he GAVE the other team the winning FG. Maybe had they not got the 15 yards, maybe their kicker would have missed it. I don't know.

He drilled the kick right before Gibbs took the first timeout.. guys were crying on the sidelines as they lined up for the first kick... I really don't think alot of them were ready to deal with playing a game...

Gibbs looked like a father that had lost a son.. I think it took alot out of him.

"Sunday Ticket" allows me to get out of the regional laugher that was the Vikes against the Lions.. the Skins played their hearts out.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

He drilled the kick right before Gibbs took the first timeout.. guys were crying on the sidelines as they lined up for the first kick... I really don't think alot of them were ready to deal with playing a game...

Gibbs looked like a father that had lost a son.. I think it took alot out of him.

"Sunday Ticket" allows me to get out of the regional laugher that was the Vikes against the Lions.. the Skins played their hearts out.
Oh....ok. I didn't get to see any of it. I'm sure you are right about what happened then.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh....ok. I didn't get to see any of it. I'm sure you are right about what happened then.

That is just my opinion of watching the Skins sidelines... I could be completely off base... Gibbs looked overwhelmed as did most of the Skins players...

ttsather

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Having not actually heard much of the commentary that followed that debacle . . .)

The context of a place-kick played a major part in the penalty, and could explain Joe Gibbs' confusion.

Many people know that consecutive timeouts are not allowed. However, in most cases, officials simply choose to ignore the requests for a second timeout and the play continues.

Somewhat recently, I'm led to believe, this rule was amended to state that in a play in which a kicker is involved, and the request for a second timeout is used to freeze or distract a kicker, then there is an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I'm trying to find a source to back this up, but I've been told that it is now considered unsportsmanlike conduct because teams (specifically the Patriots, originally) began taking advantage of the rule by signaling for a second timeout knowing full well that it would not be awarded, but just trying to distract the kicker.

As the intent of this signal was not part of the normal course of the game, but instead was specifically meant to be a coercive use of a rules loophole, the rule was changed accordingly.

This is why Tony Corrente specifically noted in his on-field call that the second timeout call "meant to freeze the kicker", was a violation and a penalty by rule.

So, I find it understandable - inexcusable, but understandable - that Joe Gibbs may not have been fully clear on the rule. My feeling is that he DID know the rule and was covering for himself or a player, but there's some plausible deniability there.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been several similar gaffes by Gibbs this season, mostly involving clock management late in games. It seems like the game has passed him by.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember us trying to call a 2nd timeout when we lost against philly in that playoff game but the refs just ignored the players and let philly kick the field goal.

Even I know this rule.

It was a terrible day for the skins to even have to consider playing.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This rule has been mentioned on numerous occassions earlier in the season in the "icing the kicker" debates that went on after the Denver/Oakland game in week 2 I believe.

Members online

Latest posts