1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Giant Fan - Secondary Issues

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Leek21, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Leek21

Leek21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a long time Giant fan; congrats on your season and big win last against the Seahawks.

For those that don't follow the Giants. The secondary is beat up bad.. Madison, Dockery, and Ross all have injury issues. That means the 3 healthy corners are:

McQuarters - benched from the nickle position early in the season, has played very well in the past 2 games both as Punt Returner and corner.

Webster - Demoted to backup early in the season. Then further demoted to the inactive list later in the season. Has been outstanding the past few weeks making some great plays.

Pope - You guys know as much about him as Giants fans do. Undrafted in 2007 draft. Signed as free agent with Dolphins. Released and signed to the Giants practice Squad. Has moved up because of injuries and played against Dallas last week (first time as a Giant).

The real starters still could make the game:

Ross - dislocated his shoulder last week (will hopefully play).
    Madison - has missed the last 2 weeks but there is a chance he could be back.
    Dockery - was on crutches last week but there is a small chance he too could return.

Don't get over excited about a thin secondary, these guys are over achievers and might surprise you. On paper it obviously favours the Pack but if the Giants can get some pressure on Farve then I have faith in the secondary.

Should be a great a game!

Giants 27 Packers 24

2. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks for the luck. But we've been torching secondaries all year, and I really don't expect anything different from this game. Some might say I'm being over confident, but I'm not. The only way I see the packers losing this game is if we have another game like the last Bears game, where EVERYTHING goes wrong and we essentially beat ourselves.

I hope all the Giants starters can play just so that can't be an excuse. =)

Good luck.

3. Leek21

Leek21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to be a bad guy but I was careful not to wish you guys 'Good Luck'. Honestly I wish you have really bad luck, I wish the ball always bounces our way, you get the untimely penalties, the fumbles, the tipped interceptions, and any other 'bad luck'. :D

I do however hope it is an injury free game on both sides.

That being said, you are over confident. It's not the Giants secondary you need to worry about. It's the pass rush. If Giants hit Farve enough times good things will happen. If Farve has time then I agree with you he will expose the secondary.

Also if the Giants can establish the power running game, they might be able to eat up some clock keeping your offense off the field.

How good are the Packers Special Teams ? Giants KO team has greatly improved the past few weeks (since Hixon took over from Droughns).
    Their KO/P coverage is also excellent. Punting is solid, and the kicker is good enough.

Special Teams could be the difference and Giants are pretty solid in special teams.

4. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    We always hear about how opposing pass rushes will kill us, yet we allowed the third fewest amount of sacks in the NFL and I don't see the Giants doing much. I see the OL doing an excellent job and Favre getting all kinds of time and torching your secondary.

The Packers ST unit is very good. Punting has been pretty good with an exception of the Bears game. Will Blackmon is a very solid punt returner and Koren Robinson is a very good KO returner. Mason Crosby led the NFL in scoring this season.

5. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To add to both of these posts, yes, we Packers fans could be called overconfident. Coughlin is showing that he is not the coach we all thought. He's good. And I'll give him an edge as far as experience goes for sure, and now he's got the players in love with him, which wasn't the case last year at this time.

As to the ST's....

Crosby's hangtime on kickoffs is great, giving our coverage time to get downfield and limit yardage. Fundamentals are HEAVILY stressed with this team, so don't hold out hope for any missed tackles.

Ryan is a beast as far as punters go, and he gets it done when he gets a normal snap from center.

We specifically spent numerous draft picks on guys for special teams alone, and it's payed off all year.

6. Leek21

Leek21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

7. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2

8. brnt247

brnt247 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't have to worry about the pass rush at all. You could put the best 4 pass rushing D lineman down against the Packers and the passing game would be just as efficient. The pack don't hold onto the ball long enough to get sacked. It just isn't possible, there will for sure be a few sacks on Favre this game, but it won't effect the passing game tremendously. The 5 yard slants/hitches/outs/stops are what the Packers rely on, and that coupled with a few screens over the pass rush will neutralize the Giants pass rush. When we throw deep, we usually have a TE and a RB staying put to help on the pass rush. This game won't be too close, and I know I'm extremely confident. 38-17.

9. brnt247

brnt247 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

10. Leek21

Leek21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

11. brnt247

brnt247 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Giants are the same team they were in week 1 and 2. They lost to the Packers and Cowboys, two teams who proved over the season to be better. It isn't as if they got upset by two subpar teams and then managed to improve over the season.

The Bears had the Packers number, and outside of those 2 games they played very well in every other game, including the Cowboy game. Without Woodson and KGB and with Favre out for the game and still almost winning is a great job by them.

The Giants beat two teams that limped into the playoffs, going around .500 in the last few games of the regular season. They had momentum vs. teams that were running in quick sand.

I've said this before, maybe not on this forum. But I was more worried about the Seahawk game than I am about this one. The Seahawks are a more well rounded team with better coaching in my opinion.

38-17

12. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Giants fans are thinking far too simplistically about how they are going to win. They shout out words like "pass rush!" and "Jacobs!" and then nod their heads in smug, warm reassurance that they are now unbeatable.

Sorry, but you're not. Not even close. The Packers have been better than the Cowboys for awhile, and you got lucky barely beating the Cowboys while being outgained by over 100 yards in Offense. Jacobs may do well, but it's not like he'll gain 5 yards a carry and make your offense an unstoppable force. He can be contained, especially if we shut down your receivers.

And while you simply say "Grant will be dropped and we'll drop LBs back in coverage and stop the receivers," BE REALISTIC. Our receivers are the best in the NFC, and even when healthy your dbacks are only average. Its just not that simple.

Either way, it'll be a good game. I'm expecting a comfortable win. I very well may be wrong.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I always say no injuries instead of good luck. ;)

Our STs are solid. Besides the 2nd Bears game, we were something like +4 in ST TDs (one or two fumbles, the rest returns). Plus, Koren Robinson, our KR got close to busting one on several occasions. He's due.

14. Guitarzan-54

Guitarzan-54 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    FACT IS........Both these teams are KILLER and deserve to be where they're at.

The GIANTS shouldn't be fooled by a few losses, and being swept by the BEARS. It was very uncharacteristic of the PACKERS.
    Well....except for the past couple of years. LOL! Chicago pretty much OWNS Green Bay. But, regardless...

And the PACKERS shouldn't overlook Jacobs. As A BEARS fan, I am all to aware of what not giving enough respect to a somewhat rookie running back can do to your game.
    And lets not forget the GIANTS pass, and run defense.
    ...both are very good. Even if beat up a bit.

This game will truly be a DOG FIGHT for sure!

But, I gotta tell ya Leek21....I really don't see the GIANTS beating Favre in Lambeau.
    ....not THIS Sunday, anyway. The PACKERS are motivated beyond belief.
    And, if you haven't seen last Sundays game against the Seahags, you have no idea what's coming your way.
    As much as it pains me to say, as a BEARS fan....it was a Beautiful thing!

Brett Favre is on FIRE!....and The PACKERS are freakin' SMOKIN!

This is no match for "Little Brother and the G-Men".

I'm totally gonna enjoy this Sunday!

GIANTS - PACKERS........CHARGERS - PATRIOTS!!!!!

GESUSS!!!!!......IT DON'T GET BETTER THEN THAT!

THIS IS FOOTBALL BABY!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH. AND HERE'S TO NO INJURIES!!!!

15. jhensiak

jhensiak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! I will not try to get to excited

Packers score only 24 points, I feel you are being a tad optimistic. I case you have not seen Favre play he seems to be able to get rid of the ball pretty quickly, I predict frustrated Giant defensive ends. And even if the giants secondary "steps up" I feel pretty good about Ryan Grant breaking a few long runs especially if the Giants run defense look like it did last sunday.

16. brnt247

brnt247 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about Grant having some big runs. In all but one game against the Chiefs, in his first start, he has had a run for more than 20 yards.

17. favre2driver

favre2driver Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We won't see many 5 receiver sets. But if we do, we should see lots of hitches, screens, curls, short 5 yard slants. We need to control the clock. I am not scared of Eli Manning and the receivers. I think our secondary will contain them. But their running game is good. BRadshaw is Barry Sanders type 5'9" and 185 lbs. While Jacobs is 260lbs.

Packers 31 Giants 21

18. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre has the ability to pick apart any defense in football. The best defense for the Giants in their pass rush. If you don't get to Favre then he'll beat you. That's your best defense. I'm not so worried about the Giants secondary. It's the pass rush. Also GB has Ryan Grant now and if he's able to sustain a running game the Packers will be in good shape. So a lot of things factor into this game. Not just the Giants dinged up secondary. If I'm the Giants I try and take Grant out of the game because the Packers are very dangerous when they are running the ball.

Obviously the Giants are a worthy opponent but if the Packers play up to their potential, GB should win. It's going to be a tough game on both sides and both teams deserve to be where they're at. I wouldn't be overconfident on either side to be honest with you. I'm not taking anything for granted.

19. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Here's a useless stat for ya: In 17 games played, the Pack have scored at least 30 points 10 times (all wins, with no opponent scoring more than 24 in those games). That includes games against defenses like San Diego, Kansas City (in Arrowhead), Minnesota, Seattle, and yes, the Giants. In New Jersey.

This offense has only been getting better, so I don't see us missing the 30-point mark this week.

20. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Here's a stat: The Packers friggin kick ***!

This stat has been provided by Intoxicated Incorporated.

21. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
  22. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

23. bhepper

bhepper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :pop: x 2

24. johnny_blood

johnny_blood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It is going to be very difficult to get pressure on Favre, even though the Giants have a great d-line.

Favre is still very elusive, has excellent awareness of where the pressure is coming, and has a quick release.

Now, in the past that wasn't always enough, and you would see Brett sometimes struggle when the defense was being disruptive.

The huge difference this year is we have 5 starting-quality wide receivers and two very good tight ends, so someone is actually open for him to use that quick release. He doesn't have to force it into bad spots when you're bringing pressure. (Note: I'm not predicting we play spread offense all day.)

The Giants are very good and I am not predicting a blowout. You knocked off the #1 seed so obviously you think you can beat us!

But what I'm not seeing here is talk of Eli. If he doesn't do something special, you won't keep up. We've scored 30+ points at home every game since Oct 14.

25. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A point to consider might be Favre's iconic status, and how that might influence the refs to throw the penalty flag if the Giants hit Favre even a moment after the ball is released.

Scheme wise, the Packers like to bring their TE in motion and line him up as a FB. Then there is the two FB-one RB Falcon package that was very successful against the Seahawks blitz. That Packers have the ability to block blitzes, and that can't be understated.

Coach McCarthy identified that in his interview right after the Giants won against the Cowboys. When you think about that for a second, it's scary because it shows you that McCarthy was quite aware of the Giants tendencies without even formally game planning against them.

I'm positive that McCarthy and our coaching staff will be ready for what the Giants do and may possibly do.

I must admit that the Giants' running game worries me, especially considering our run D faltered down the stretch.

The positive thing is during the Seahawks pre-game warm-up, there seems to have been this sense in the atmosphere that our D-line was just firing on all cylinders. Our DT group as a whole probably had their best game, and our RE/DT Cullen Jenkins had his best performance since the pre-season. So things are coming together for our d-line, which bodes well for us.