Getting "defensive" in the secondary.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off i would like to say that i think Sam shields is our best cover corner. Rarely does he get beat deep and he plays the ball very well. I've always said that once he learned how to tackle he could be all pro with his great ball skills and speed..well he is a far better tackler then what he used to be. I noticed that he had the task of shadowing AJ Green nearly the entire game. Which leads me to my next topic.

Tramon Williams, what happened to this guy? He had great potential and all of a sudden turned into an average cb at best. Can't even be trusted to lock up the other teams best wr anymore. He just looked bad on the touchdown he gave up and looks like he's afraid to tackle. If you ask me when Casey Heyward comes back you input him in with Shields as the starting cb nd hopefully it motivates Tramon to either get it together or follow Jennings to Minnesota after the season.

MD Jennings and Mcmillan are the same type of player to me, neither guy has sure fire starter written on him and they give up more plays then they make. Not good for a safety. I would like to see Hyde get as chance there but he's forced to play corner because of injury reasons. Burnett is no Ed Reed but he will come up and tackle and he does have good ball skills. We are missing him and Heyward big time.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams - Unfortunately I have never thought he was all he was cracked up to be. The spree in the 2011 playoffs was more of an aberration to me than the constant. I have never really seen him as a lock-down corner in any way. Just not physical enough to stay with any of the big time receivers in this league. He gets pushed around like a rag doll a lot.

What I would personally like to see is House step-up more. I think at 6'1" he has the size to be a little more dominant against the bigger receivers. And he is physical with receivers, which yes may result in more penalties but can also get a receiver off their game.

Have Shields on the other side, Heyward in the slot. Williams maybe in dime or see if you can get anything good for him which I highly doubt after his last 2 seasons. I just don't see much value in him anymore.

I have no problems with Burnett... He's not Collins, but he makes plays. And is not a huge liability which is more than I can say for the two back there now. Plus I think you give him a couple more years experience and he has potential to be a top 10 safety.

As far as the other side... I really dont have a good answer for that. Think we may be looking to the draft or Free Agency next year for a permanent solution. For now make due with what you have.

Members online

Latest posts