Get out the hankies for Ahman

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cynic in me says this is B.S. by Green. Why? Because he doesn't have the stones to stand in front of the local media and do it. It's all part of the planned pressure to try to sucker the Packers into what would be a baaaaaaaaaaad contract.

1)Best years likely behind him
2)Part-time rusher given his asthma
3)History of domestic violence
4)When healthy this year lacked "burst" he had in prior years. Even with the new offensive line, he lacked speed and second effort.
5)Wants big money contract

The league is awash with good running backs, both veteran and rookie. The effort of Samkon Gado should be reason enough to show Ahman the door. The draft could provide another runner with fresh legs.

He was paid handsomely for his PAST achievements. The next contract is for what he will do IN THE FUTURE. Sorry, it doesn't add up to me.
The comparison to Jim Taylor is a bit off the mark. Jim Taylor gained 1000+ yards one year with a torn MCL in his knee.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/nov05/371558.asp

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you net Jim Taylor has a different zip code than Ahman, you should not put both name sin the same sentence!!!!!

Goooooo little Samkon Gooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it would be foolish to give Green a top contract right now, but I don't agree with the animosity towards him.

Green never held out like Walker or McKenzie. He never made waves, always being a team player, always willing to do his part. He continues to get injured because of his hard running style -- fighting for every yard. He has the burst and talent to be a difference maker for the team, which he had been for years. People have known that the way to stop GB in the past 5 years is to stop Green.

Green has been one of the top RBs in the NFL for a long time. In that time he did not complain about his contract nor did he hold-out for an extension. He has always been a team player. At this point of his career, he must go for a big contract. But if he does not receive that big contract, I would be extremely happy to see him in a Packer uniform next year!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points Bobby... I still say no big contract...in fact, I don't think I want him to be a Packer next yr (I think he's hit the Eddie George peak) ...

but you're right, no reason for us to be tearing him a new corn hole. Although he had some off the field issues, on the field, he had been as dedicated a worker as anyone else we praise, and like you said, probably had reason to be paid more, but didn't complain.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen all I have no problem with Green doin a little pissing and moaning. Bottom line is that his issue with the front office is that he has not even approached him about resigning. Like I said before atleast give the man a bone one year contract or a long term with performance clauses ie 1000 yards equals 2 or 3 mil in bonus money. I think Ahman relizes that with his injury it makes it tuff for the pack but I do feel for him.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Net..

You didn't seem to mind him when he was rushing for 1800 yards a season...but the opinion that now if he DARES question the GB Packer organization he should be thrown out the door smacks of hypocrisy, even for you...

And i know you would have been whining the loudest if he held out because all those productive years he was UNDERPAID behind other RB's in the league, and Sherman's baby...CLETEDIOUS HUNT...

I too don't think he will get the big contract....but if he goes to another team and does well for the next 3-5 years and starts bad mouthing the Packer's organization as a tight-*** team that doesn't treat it's players right...well...

Then you are going to have a problem attracting ANYONE with talent to come play for GB...especially if Favre has retired and SherRossley's still around...

TT better not forget that it was Wolf, Holmgren, White and Favre that built this franchise...and it will not return to glory if continues to play it on the cheap...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack TT has forgotten that. Sherman also tried to get quality players but it didnt work out and he didnt go cheap. Hmmmmmm current cap issue maybe??

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap situation was first Wolf's fault and in the past couple of years, Sherman's fault.

Wolf screwed up he last few drafts and then gave big contracts to guys who subsequently stopped playing hard, e.g. Freeman. Wolf then decided to turn the GM job over to Sherman, who was just gaining experience as a HC and no GM experience.

Since Sherman took over as HC, he believed that GB was only a player or two away from winning the SB. So as a GM, he made moves that a HC would make: pay to keep your best players, draft for need only, get any FAs to fill the voids, keep more experienced players over those with more potential, push the cap to the limit to get the players you need.

TT is now trying to get a handle on the cap, while still filling the current voids. He is totalling thinking as a GM building the best team for the future. It will be a tough road ahead.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
I agree that it would be foolish to give Green a top contract right now, but I don't agree with the animosity towards him.

Green never held out like Walker or McKenzie. He never made waves, always being a team player, always willing to do his part. He continues to get injured because of his hard running style -- fighting for every yard. He has the burst and talent to be a difference maker for the team, which he had been for years. People have known that the way to stop GB in the past 5 years is to stop Green.

Green has been one of the top RBs in the NFL for a long time. In that time he did not complain about his contract nor did he hold-out for an extension. He has always been a team player. At this point of his career, he must go for a big contract. But if he does not receive that big contract, I would be extremely happy to see him in a Packer uniform next year!!

A agree totally with your post, the way to handle someone in his situation is a heavily ladden incentive contract, budget contract with some nice performance bonus tied to it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4)When healthy this year lacked "burst" he had in prior years. Even with the new offensive line, he lacked speed and second effort.

To ahmans credit, he never ran with this updated line, with wells. He still should have done better though.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As usual, certain posters can't see reality if it bites them in the ****.

Green has talked repeatedly of getting a contract comparable to LaDanian Tomlinson.

Think he's worth that? He doesn't want any other contract.

Being sentimental is counterproductive.

When you work, do you expect extra special treatment from your boss after the day's work is done? The boss looks at your work and what you are paid, the company's needs and if the two match, you stay employed. In Green's case, he just finished 21 million dollars. He's been hurt, soon to be 29, there's a bunch of good young running backs in college, and he wants big money? The arguments that he did this and that in the past answers itself. It is in the past. The risk to the Packers is way too great to give him anything even near what he is making now.

He's injured and collecting his money now, isn't he? So his contract is essentially for four years for 21 million.

Lets not forget his tendency toward fumblitis which got him a one-way ticket out of Seattle and was tolerated in Green Bay...by Mike Sherman....Pack66.

A short term contract? No player or agent wants that. They want guaranteed money, with long-term ties.

In the end, it's business, not sentiment. With the other players scalding the salary cap next year and many, many young players to sign, giving an aging, now apparently whining, running back a whopper of a contract just because he did something in the past forgets the central point. The next contract is for what he will do IN THE FUTURE...not in the past.

Bring on Samkon.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah right net...

and if you throw $$ at a rookie who doesn't pan out...and Ahman Green gives some other team 3-5 real good years...what will you be saying then?

Sherman did that with Levens and Levens was avg. 5.3 yds per carry with the Eagles...

Do you think that Fisher was a better keep then Levens...I sure don't...

(and why the hell doesn't TT have him trying out for the team already...)

There's a dangerous precedent being set by TT and the signing of quality veterans who can help out NOW!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Green has talked repeatedly of getting a contract comparable to LaDanian Tomlinson.

Net, I did not know Ahman is requesting an LT-like contract. He is not worth that, and will not be (99% chance) a packer next year. However....there are some stupid teams out there who WILL pay Ahman LT-like money, so him requesting it isnt a no-no by ahman. He is simply setting the table. He cant say "Ill work cheap for you, GB, i love you" and then tell the raiders he wants the world on a plate. He is saying he wants an LT-contract, and thats that...someone probably will give him that. If they DONT...if nobody DOES....then of course his price demands will go down a little, and maybe if it goes down enough, we re-sign him, but probably not. This isnt a greedy,silly,egotistical move by ahman. This is just a business move.

66 said:
Yeah right net...

and if you throw $$ at a rookie who doesn't pan out...and Ahman Green gives some other team 3-5 real good years...what will you be saying then?

Sherman did that with Levens and Levens was avg. 5.3 yds per carry with the Eagles...

Do you think that Fisher was a better keep then Levens...I sure don't...

(and why the hell doesn't TT have him trying out for the team already...)

There's a dangerous precedent being set by TT and the signing of quality veterans who can help out NOW!

And what if we get rid of Gado or Fisher and they pan out, and we take an aged but proven veteran who takes us nowhere. Speculation is fun, but in the NFL..with running backs, youth is always good. The Jerome Bettises and Dorsey Levensesesses(cant spell) are a rarity, and although i dislike sherman as a coach and especially a GM, that move wasnt all that bad.

But with where we are at now, we got Gado and Fisher. Davenport wont stay cuz hes Mr. Glass. We will probably draft an RB within the first 2 rounds, so we'll have talent(and YOUTH, aka durability) at Rb next year.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
As usual, certain posters can't see reality if it bites them in the ****.

Being sentimental is counterproductive.

When you work, do you expect extra special treatment from your boss after the day's work is done? The boss looks at your work and what you are paid, the company's needs and if the two match, you stay employed. In Green's case, he just finished 21 million dollars. He's been hurt, soon to be 29, there's a bunch of good young running backs in college, and he wants big money? The arguments that he did this and that in the past answers itself. It is in the past. The risk to the Packers is way too great to give him anything even near what he is making now.

He's injured and collecting his money now, isn't he? So his contract is essentially for four years for 21 million.

Lets not forget his tendency toward fumblitis which got him a one-way ticket out of Seattle and was tolerated in Green Bay...by Mike Sherman....Pack66.

A short term contract? No player or agent wants that. They want guaranteed money, with long-term ties.

In the end, it's business, not sentiment. With the other players scalding the salary cap next year and many, many young players to sign, giving an aging, now apparently whining, running back a whopper of a contract just because he did something in the past forgets the central point. The next contract is for what he will do IN THE FUTURE...not in the past.

Bring on Samkon.

I'm not certain which posts you're reading, but no one here has said that we should sign Green to an LT type contract.

The only things I said about Green is that there's no reason to be dragging his name through the mud. He has given us many good years fighting hard for every yard and he's provided us with break-away talent to keep defenses honest.

If we can keep Green at a modest price, great! Otherwise, I say thanks for the years and good luck.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts has already said what I was going to say, and said it better and more thoroughly than I could have. No, Ahman should not get big bucks, but he has worked his butt off for our team and he deserves our respect.

And the comment about him being "a part-time rusher given his asthma" is silly. He led the league in rushing yardage over the last five years. Not bad for a "part-timer."

At this point, all Ahman can really hope for is a one-year contract for decent money. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting that from the Packers. And if he proves that he is back from the injury, sign him for two or three more years.

I like Samkon Gado, but he still has a lot to prove. I'm not on his bandwagon yet.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sign him to a 1 year deal, bring him in training camp to compete with other backs we may have and if he is the starter and darn good next year then give him more money.

I think he should have to earn it. Who knows how this injury will affect him? Why should we shell out big bucks when we don't even know if he can even perform the same?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I too don't think he will get the big contract....but if he goes to another team and does well for the next 3-5 years and starts bad mouthing the Packer's organization as a tight-*** team that doesn't treat it's players right...well...

Then you are going to have a problem attracting ANYONE with talent to come play for GB...especially if Favre has retired and SherRossley's still around...

I am not a Sherman-basher, but if asked who I thought had done more for the Packer organization as a whole, Green would win 10 times out of 10 over Sherman. Sure he was having a crappy season pre-injury, but IMO that had a lot more to do with a weak and inexperienced O-line than it did with declining talent on Green's part. A far better case could be made for firing Sherman for his performance this season than letting Green go for his.

P@ck66 said:
TT better not forget that it was Wolf, Holmgren, White and Favre that built this franchise...and it will not return to glory if continues to play it on the cheap...

*Shudders* I remember what the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey franchise was like during the Harold Ballard years. I hope TT doesn't have the Ballard philosophy in store for Green Bay, or you will see a quick return to the not-so-glory days of the 70's in a hurry. Running a pro sports franchise on the cheap is like repairing a brand new Lincoln with duct tape: it will only be worth what you put into it.

Let's hope a healthy Green returns to Green Bay in '06 for another 1000 yard season!

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green was paid well to work hard for the Packers. That is in the past.

This past summer he told the P-G he wanted LaDanian money for his next contract.

He also won't talk to the local media about it. Why? Because they truthfully reported his "incident" (another one) this summer.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, he hasn't exactly been destroying the league. The J-S showed his dropoff began last year WITH Wahle and Rivera.

If he would sign for the vets minimum, it would be worth it to the Packers.

Running backs are among the most expendable of players. Their basic skills transfer among levels of play. Take the ball and find the hole and run.
Once in awhile you block, you also catch passes.

Green's greatest asset is his ability to catch the ball.

But in the end, he will want long term, big money and that isn't Tightwad Ted's modus operandi.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jeez..net..

(sometimes i think you make crap up just to fit your personal likes and dislikes--and for some reason, you do not like Ahman Green)

-answer me this net....

if good RB's grow on trees..then why doesn't every team have a rusher that puts up 1200-1500 yards per year?

it's alot more then just running the ball...how many backs have you seen that just run the ball and run right into guys on the defense without making a move?

The Vets minimum? Sounds pretty ungrateful to me...

Green should have held out this year or last...to match your attitude because it's nothing personal net..right? It's all business..$$$

If the Packers' play hardball like that..he may putting up 1,000 + yards for some other team next year!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts