George Pickens is really good!

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I study him, the more I like him. Pickens in my mind is former Texan great Andre Johnson, only slighter framed. He runs every route, has nimble feet along the sidelines, isn’t afraid of contact, goes both vertical and horizontal after the ball, hand catches the rock with ease, has some real wiggle at over 6’3” and is a legit low 4.4 guy. He did have the knee injury, but if he is healthy, I have no problem seeing him in the Green and Gold any where in this draft. I believe he has all the tools to be a true top flight NFL receiver - he has a bit of cocky and nasty to his game which I like.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question with Pickens isn't talent, its whether his previous ACL indicates he's injury prone. If a guy gets injured in college, will he be more durable in the NFL? Justin Harrell was hurt in college and could never get out of the hot tub in the NFL. I really like Pickens so I hope his ACL was a one time bad luck injury.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question with Pickens isn't talent, its whether his previous ACL indicates he's injury prone. If a guy gets injured in college, will he be more durable in the NFL? Justin Harrell was hurt in college and could never get out of the hot tub in the NFL. I really like Pickens so I hope his ACL was a one time bad luck injury.
I think the fact that he injured his ACL during the collegiate preseason and played in the last 4 games is a testament to his commitment.

He could've shut it down but he didn't.

That shows high character and sacrifice.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the fact that he injured his ACL during the collegiate preseason and played in the last 4 games is a testament to his commitment.

He could've shut it down but he didn't.

That shows high character and sacrifice.
Yes and no. Yes, great he came back to help his team. However, it was also important for him to put something recent on film. Otherwise, he might not even be in the discussion until round 3 or later. That translates into a lot of money. Injuries can really put a big cloud over a college players future and his ability to come back from the ACL as quickly as he did, definitely helps move him up into the second round and maybe even the first. I am a big Pickens fan, but would prefer if he was available, he would be the second WR they draft.

I think they need to get one rookie WR that will contribute in 2022 and 2 that will contribute in 2023 and beyond. If they came out of the draft with either Olave or Burks, plus Pickens, I would be a happy camper.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no. Yes, great he came back to help his team. However, it was also important for him to put something recent on film. Otherwise, he might not even be in the discussion until round 3 or later. Injuries can really put a big cloud over a college players future and his ability to come back from the ACL as quickly as he did, definitely helps move him up into the second round and maybe even the first.

I'm quite sure Pickens wanted to get back to playing as quickly as possible to enhance his draft stock...of course.

Helping the team and helping himself is a win-win proposition isn't it?

His dedication to improving his way of life through his craft is mutually beneficial with helping the Bulldogs win the championship.

That narrative is actually factual. He's playing with house money as the draft approaches.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His dedication to improving his way of life through his craft is mutually beneficial with helping the Bulldogs win the championship.
Oh I totally agree. It was good for both team and individual for Pickens to come back and play in those 4 games.

Some guys sit out those conference Championships, as well as the bowl game. I can hardly blame them, they had a great year, nothing more to prove, so why risk injury. I guess the only question for NFL scouts and GM's about those guys, do they down grade them for putting themselves first? Probably not.

Each draft there seems to be at least 1 or more guys, that had they not suffered an injury their final year, they might have been top 20 in the draft. We will never know where Pickens would have gone in the draft, had he played all year, but his play up to his injury, as well as the fact that he got back on the field earlier than most, will do nothing but help his draft position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again remember this guy as an 18 year old boy balled out in the SEC….think about that…

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again remember this guy as an 18 year old boy balled out in the SEC….think about that…
No doubt Pickens could have a lot of success in the NFL, but he is one of those guys that his injury puts a question mark on him. Also, his freshman year was by far his best season. He had 49 catches for 727 yards and 8 TD's. He also didn't have future NFL QB's throwing him the ball like WR's at both Ohio State and Alabama benefit from. Tough call on Pickens and I will leave that one up to the scouts.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A friend, who's watched Pickens over the course of his career at Georgia says that the Packers should pass on him in the early going. He wasn't in the slightest bit sold on him as being the kind of player worthy of an early pick. Since I know the person who suggested that is a good judge of talent, I'm going to go with what he said.

Of course, when you get down to the 3rd round, or later, the gloves are off, because you can afford to do a little bit of reaching if you did a good job earlier in the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt Pickens could have a lot of success in the NFL, but he is one of those guys that his injury puts a question mark on him. Also, his freshman year was by far his best season. He had 49 catches for 727 yards and 8 TD's. He also didn't have future NFL QB's throwing him the ball like WR's at both Ohio State and Alabama benefit from. Tough call on Pickens and I will leave that one up to the scouts.

So you also crossed Jameson Williams off too right? At least with Pickens we know he is healthy and ready to rock post injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So you also crossed Jameson Williams off too right? At least with Pickens we know he is healthy and ready to rock post injury.
Williams is also a really tough call. I do think he will be gone before #22, but if he isn't, man I don't know. I doubt he helps the Packers in 2022 all that much, but if he completely heals from his ACL, in 2023, he might be the best WR to come out of the draft. He has an even higher ceiling than Pickens, but potentially a bigger floor.

Let's put it this way, if Williams, Burks, Olave and London are still there at 22, I might take him, in hopes that one of the other 3 fall to #28. The real dice roll would be he is there at #22 and they trade out of round 1 with the #28 pick and use a 2nd rounder on Pickens. Imagine the potential of both Williams and Pickett hitting their ceilings in 2023 and beyond.

I can see a team like Dallas grabbing Williams. They can afford not to have him play this season and if he is as good as he looked, he and Lamb would make one hell of a 1-2 punch.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A friend, who's watched Pickens over the course of his career at Georgia says that the Packers should pass on him in the early going. He wasn't in the slightest bit sold on him as being the kind of player worthy of an early pick. Since I know the person who suggested that is a good judge of talent, I'm going to go with what he said.

Of course, when you get down to the 3rd round, or later, the gloves are off, because you can afford to do a little bit of reaching if you did a good job earlier in the draft.
I've been a die-hard Georgia fan my entire life. I know I don't have the same report as your friend does, but Pickens has the ability to be special. He's shown elite ability since being a freshman and has played on a run first team with average at best quarterback play. He's made SEC corners look absolutely silly at times. He probably has the highest ceiling of any receiver out of the draft. I'm not saying your friend is wrong, but I'd love to have a discussion with him as to what he wasn't seeing with George when he was on the field. There were times where he was in the discussion of potentially being a top 5 draft pick and the injury really killed any hope of that and Stetson just isn't that good. He didn't have the time this year to put much on tape because of both of those things, but this pick would be all about potential. He's probably been our best wide receiver prospect since AJ Green.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a die-hard Georgia fan my entire life. I know I don't have the same report as your friend does, but Pickens has the ability to be special. He's shown elite ability since being a freshman and has played on a run first team with average at best quarterback play. He's made SEC corners look absolutely silly at times. He probably has the highest ceiling of any receiver out of the draft. I'm not saying your friend is wrong, but I'd love to have a discussion with him as to what he wasn't seeing with George when he was on the field. There were times where he was in the discussion of potentially being a top 5 draft pick and the injury really killed any hope of that and Stetson just isn't that good. He didn't have the time this year to put much on tape because of both of those things, but this pick would be all about potential. He's probably been our best wide receiver prospect since AJ Green.

He has easily been the best since Green….I’m not sure if anyone comes close to even discuss.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone posted it elsewhere, but AJ Green re-signed with the Cardinals for a year. I actually wouldn't have minded seeing him in GB. Cardinals are pretty loaded at WR, yet their QB is now in the "will he be there" stage.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know whether or not Pickens is the real deal or not, but I do trust the judgement of the guy who made the comment. He's been close to the game, and around coaching for several decades, and apparently has resources real close to the program itself.

No matter where he goes, we're going to find out just how good he is.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone posted it elsewhere, but AJ Green re-signed with the Cardinals for a year. I actually wouldn't have minded seeing him in GB. Cardinals are pretty loaded at WR, yet their QB is now in the "will he be there" stage.
I believe this makes it a little less likely ARZ takes a WR at #23. That could be a good thing for GB.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if I've said this, but I do like the physical presence offered by London, and according to some sources, the guy can block. The questions about his health - if I recall correctly - broken ankle, and now hammy, do raise some questions. Enough that it should scare us off?

The question is, will it scare others off, and will he be there when we pick? There's something about this guy that tells me he could be something special. There's also a question in my mind about his health, and will he be one of those guys who spends more time watching games than playing?

My biggest question is, which would I take if my options were London and Olave?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know if I've said this, but I do like the physical presence offered by London, and according to some sources, the guy can block. The questions about his health - if I recall correctly - broken ankle, and now hammy, do raise some questions. Enough that it should scare us off?

The question is, will it scare others off, and will he be there when we pick? There's something about this guy that tells me he could be something special. There's also a question in my mind about his health, and will he be one of those guys who spends more time watching games than playing?

My biggest question is, which would I take if my options were London and Olave?
I watched quite a bit of film of London and something seemed to be consistent and then it finally dawned on me. He is really pretty good at high pointing balls and contested catches, but that was the problem too. Many of his catches were with 1 or 2 guys right on him. Which told me he really wasn't getting himself open that often. Then I read a few scouting reports on him and they both said just about the same thing and what I was observing.

Weaknesses
  • Lacks desired foot quickness out of release.
  • Will live with route squatters crowding him underneath.
  • Trouble eluding route redirections in space.
  • Slow-developing downfield routes require plus pass protection.
  • Will struggle to find desired separation from breaks and turns versus man.
  • Runs and moves like an athletic tight end.
  • Below-average toughness as run blocker.
  • Not a get-away guy in run after catch.
He kind of reminds me of Lazard. He is a good blocker, has some physicality and decent hands, but isn't the best route runner and not that fast. The fact that London wasn't beating college DB's worries me even more. What is he going to do in the NFL when all of them are the best college players?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched quite a bit of film of London and something seemed to be consistent and then it finally dawned on me. He is really pretty good at high pointing balls and contested catches, but that was the problem too. Many of his catches were with 1 or 2 guys right on him. Which told me he really wasn't getting himself open that often. Then I read a few scouting reports on him and they both said just about the same thing and what I was observing.

Weaknesses
  • Lacks desired foot quickness out of release.
  • Will live with route squatters crowding him underneath.
  • Trouble eluding route redirections in space.
  • Slow-developing downfield routes require plus pass protection.
  • Will struggle to find desired separation from breaks and turns versus man.
  • Runs and moves like an athletic tight end.
  • Below-average toughness as run blocker.
  • Not a get-away guy in run after catch.
He kind of reminds me of Lazard. He is a good blocker, has some physicality and decent hands, but isn't the best route runner and not that fast. The fact that London wasn't beating college DB's worries me even more. What is he going to do in the NFL when all of them are the best college players?
Valid points. Interesting that he's considered by some as to almost being a hybrid between TE and WR. With the Packers believing in guys who can play multiple positions, that could be a plus to them? It would depend on whether or not they felt he was capable of learning how to run block effectively.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Valid points. Interesting that he's considered by some as to almost being a hybrid between TE and WR. With the Packers believing in guys who can play multiple positions, that could be a plus to them? It would depend on whether or not they felt he was capable of learning how to run block effectively.
If they are thinking about London, it would probably have to come in round 1. If they are going to draft him strictly for his skills as a hybrid TE/WR...not so sure I would like the pick. Yes, it does fit into MLF's offense, but they already have Lazard and Tonyan as well. I would prefer them using a first rounder on a WR that has shown good route running skills, as well as speed. I could be wrong, but I think I read that most scouts feel that Olave was the best route runner of the WR's or maybe it was Wilson.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are thinking about London, it would probably have to come in round 1. If they are going to draft him strictly for his skills as a hybrid TE/WR...not so sure I would like the pick. Yes, it does fit into MLF's offense, but they already have Lazard and Tonyan as well. I would prefer them using a first rounder on a WR that has shown good route running skills, as well as speed. I could be wrong, but I think I read that most scouts feel that Olave was the best route runner of the WR's or maybe it was Wilson.
No argument from my perspective. If London was there when we do our first 2nd round pick, I'd grab him in a heartbeat. Before that? There are a lot of options out there, and it doesn't necessarily mean a WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No argument from my perspective. If London was there when we do our first 2nd round pick, I'd grab him in a heartbeat. Before that? There are a lot of options out there, and it doesn't necessarily mean a WR.
I will admit to not knowing exactly what the Packers are looking for in a WR. I see London as a guy that could do really well in MLF's system, but with a Davante Adams like teammate. I just don't see him as the complete route runner and guy who can usually find a way to get himself open, which Davante is one of the best at. Also, remember that Rodgers doesn't throw a lot of balls, that he thinks will be contested catches. Not saying that is a bad thing, since he throws so very few picks. However, if London can't get himself open, will Rodgers go to him? I doubt a defense is going to worry a lot about covering an offense featuring Lazard, Cobb and London. Just my opinion. :)

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just bought the last issue of Packers Plus with their mock draft. They had the the top 5 receivers all gone with the Packers sitting still. But Devin Lloyd was picked at 22, and George Karlaftis was picked at 28.
I really want Burks, but would be happy with this scenario.
Now in the second round it would be nice to see trade ups to possibly get Pickens and another player. Maybe Trey McBride or Alec Pierce. There always is a run at the top of the second round on receivers it seems. I just hope this isn’t a deja vu of the Jordan Love draft where all the top line receivers are gone. And I don’t want to trade up for one unless it is a 4th rounder with one of our firsts A small trade up would be okay.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packer fans wanted to see George Pickens become a Packer. Check out this week 3 TNF catch...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts