General NFL Talk

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen several reports that do not claim he was the assailant. claims that he was involved or set her up do not necessarily mean he did the actual assault.

It's all but guaranteed that McCoy wasn't the actual assailant but it would be equally terrible if he hired someone to do it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all but guaranteed that McCoy wasn't the actual assailant but it would be equally terrible if he hired someone to do it.
True that.
1> are the police as actively searching out the burglar as intensively as the social media is trying to connect the dots to McCoy?
2> Was anything taken and later found?
3> Is there a pattern for this type of crime in the region?
4> Why don't courts preemptively issue gag orders on witnesses and legal teams in cases like this?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True that.
1> are the police as actively searching out the burglar as intensively as the social media is trying to connect the dots to McCoy?
I'm sure they're not. I'm also sure they've got more limited resources and other important issues to pursue.
2> Was anything taken and later found?
Doesn't seem like it so far. If the answer is yes, what does that mean? If the answer is no, what does that mean?
3> Is there a pattern for this type of crime in the region?
What is the type of crime - unforced entry, burglary, assault, home invasion, et. al.?
4> Why don't courts preemptively issue gag orders on witnesses and legal teams in cases like this?
Has this even made it to the courts yet? If not, what is their jurisdiction? If so, what determines that a case is "like this"?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, at the risk of getting back to Edelman’s suspension (in the wrong forum), when does the NFL test players? I’m guessing it must be random and any time they please, given that Edelman missed all of last season. And why did Aaron Jones get a two-game suspension for the same thing (not complaining)? Goodell is consistently inconsistent in handing down punishments/fines. And for what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing the Edelman accusation. He’s been around too long and if he was a serial abuser, this wouldn’t be the first time. Or maybe there were other times?

D

Deleted member 6794

Ummm, at the risk of getting back to Edelman’s suspension (in the wrong forum), when does the NFL test players? I’m guessing it must be random and any time they please, given that Edelman missed all of last season. And why did Aaron Jones get a two-game suspension for the same thing (not complaining)? Goodell is consistently inconsistent in handing down punishments/fines. And for what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing the Edelman accusation. He’s been around too long and if he was a serial abuser, this wouldn’t be the first time. Or maybe there were other times?

Here's a link to the current policy on performance enhancing substances providing detailed information about the testing procedure:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016PESPolicy_v2.PDF

You have to realize that Aaron Jones was suspended based on the league's substance abuse policy because he was caught smoking marijuana. Different story.

H

HardRightEdge

These guys sure have problems with their women folk
I wouldn't be so sure that domestic violence in the NFL is more frequent than in the general population.

The NCADV estimates that 1/3 of women and 1/4 of men will experience domestic violence sometime in their lives. Based on those estimates, if we assume all 2,000 players on opening day rosters are straight and have female partners at least off-and-on in their lives (which is probably pretty close to true), this data suggests about 700 of them perpetrate domestic violence sometime in their lives if their behavior is in line with the general population.

We can probably agree that relationships go sour for three primary causes: cheating, money issues and/or alcohol or drug abuse. At least NFL players don't have the money issues of the general population while they are playing. We might presume the NFL rules that can take a player from a fat paycheck to no paycheck is a strong disincetive toward substance abuse and domestic violence. Conversely, incidents may go unreported by women who tolerate such behavior because their partner provides a comfortable lifestyle.

I don't think we can draw the conclusion that these guys are more prone to domestic violence than the general population without some hard data and that's hard to come by because of the unknown unreported incidents.

H

HardRightEdge

Ummm, at the risk of getting back to Edelman’s suspension (in the wrong forum), when does the NFL test players? I’m guessing it must be random and any time they please, given that Edelman missed all of last season. And why did Aaron Jones get a two-game suspension for the same thing (not complaining)? Goodell is consistently inconsistent in handing down punishhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT9c91KwhaAments/fines. And for what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing the Edelman accusation. He’s been around too long and if he was a serial abuser, this wouldn’t be the first time. Or maybe there were other times?
A few notes:

1) The NFL has two separate policies, one for performance enhancing drugs and another for "substances of abuse" that are not deemed performance enhancing.

2) The NFL's drug policies are established in negotiation and agreement with the NFLPA, the players union. So, unlike the Commissioner's so-called "conduct unbecoming" suspension powers which are pretty sweeping, the drug testing policies are highly formalized. The one area where the Commish has pretty sweeping "conduct unbecoming" powers in matters of drugs relates to "discipline for violations of the law relating to use, possession, acquisition, sale, or distribution of Substances of Abuse, or conspiracy to do so [which] will remain at the discretion of the Commissioner." There is similar language in the performance enhancing drug policy. In other words, if a player gets busted with drugs the Commish has a lot of latitude while the drug testing policy is very specific with respect to procedures and penalties.

3) The penalties for performance enhancing drugs are much harsher. The NLF's perspective is that use of performance enhancing drugs goes to the "integrity of the game". A first and only positive test for a performance enhancing drug draws an immediate suspension of 2 - 6 games depending on the drug. If that's the case with Edelman, the drug involved would have been a "stimulant or an anabolic agent" which calls for 4 games per the policy

4) First and even second offenses of the "substances of abuse" testing policy is generally regarded as a medical issue calling for treatment and remediation with the penalties less harsh than with performance enhancing drugs. We are not made aware of a first positive drug test for pot, high alcohol blood content or opioids, for example, as those players go into a private monitoring and remediation program with regular follow-up tests. A second failed test in this in this category of abuse (or refusing a test or just not showing up for one) will likely draw a suspension.

5) Though Aaron Jones is being disciplined without evidently failing a formal drug test under the policy, he is subject to Commish discipline as noted in 1) above. Given the NFL's acute interest in public perception, stated in the introductory paragraphs of these policies, secretly failing a first infraction test for pot, for example, does not reach the public eye and as previoulsy noted does not draw a suspension. Getting busted for pot possession or a DUI is public and will likely draw that typical 2 game suspension. Jones will now be in the remediation program with ongoing monitoring and testing beyond that applied to players with no prior infractions.

6) Players under contract for the following season who have no prior infractions are not tested between their last game and April 20. FAs get tested in conjection with a new contract. Edelman may have flunked his test during OTAs since he evidently had no prior infractions. A player with no prior infractions can use anything he wants in that 3-4 month offseason period; he just has to be sure it clears his system by April 20.

7) In season, each team has 10 players randomly tested each week. Again, players already under disciplinary action or substances of abuse "probation" undergo more rigorous testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ers-athletes-should-ignore-attacks-from-trump

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says professional athletes should "learn to ignore" the attacks they receive from President Trump.

"I think that the more that we give credence to stuff like that, the more it's gonna live on," Rodgers told NFL.com on Tuesday.

"I think if we can learn to ignore or not respond to stuff like that — if we can — it takes away the power of statements like that."

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kQxfQBCCcwAA&usg=AOvVaw1OsfnkzZ8PtnLzSuvGQcOM

Allen - 'He's trash'
Flacco - 'He sucks'
Goff - 'Average to above average'
Roethlisberger - 'Decent at best'
Manning - 'Odell makes him'
Bortles - 'Blake do what he gotta do'
Luck - 'Don't think he's good'
Tannehill - 'Haven't heard good things'
Ryan - 'Overrated'

Mayfield - 'Gets how he was top pick
Jackson - 'He's gonna do a good job'
Rodgers - Doesn't suck
Brady - Doesn't suck
Taylor - Underrated
Mariota - Good game manager
Garoppolo - 'Guess' he's good
Watson - Will be an MVP
Wentz - Will be an MVP
Prescott - 'He's OK'
Cousins - 'He's a winner'
Wilson - 'Good'
Foles - 'Good enough to win SB'
Brees - 'Really good'
Stafford - 'He's straight'

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kQxfQBCCcwAA&usg=AOvVaw1OsfnkzZ8PtnLzSuvGQcOM

Allen - 'He's trash'
Flacco - 'He sucks'
Goff - 'Average to above average'
Roethlisberger - 'Decent at best'
Manning - 'Odell makes him'
Bortles - 'Blake do what he gotta do'
Luck - 'Don't think he's good'
Tannehill - 'Haven't heard good things'
Ryan - 'Overrated'

Mayfield - 'Gets how he was top pick
Jackson - 'He's gonna do a good job'
Rodgers - Doesn't suck
Brady - Doesn't suck
Taylor - Underrated
Mariota - Good game manager
Garoppolo - 'Guess' he's good
Watson - Will be an MVP
Wentz - Will be an MVP
Prescott - 'He's OK'
Cousins - 'He's a winner'
Wilson - 'Good'
Foles - 'Good enough to win SB'
Brees - 'Really good'
Stafford - 'He's straight'

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
That's very marginally interesting. However, I'm throwing a flag on changing the title of the thread. C'mon man.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway looks like we are discussing more on forum dynamics than content of thread.

This can be locked.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Packers vs Bears will be the opening game for 2019 season. Not sure it'll be home or road for us.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're trying to see if lightning will strike twice. That's why I'm doing 3-4 OL in my mock drafts. NFL has a hit on AR.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Packers vs Bears will be the opening game for 2019 season. Not sure it'll be home or road for us.

Heard from a Bears fan last night that the Bears were putting up a fuss about the possibility of opening in Lambeau 2 years in a row so it might be in Chicago. Can't say as I blame them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard from a Bears fan last night that the Bears were putting up a fuss about the possibility of opening in Lambeau 2 years in a row so it might be in Chicago. Can't say as I blame them.
I say, Whaaaaaaaaa. Maybe if they hadn't made their stadium to look like something I'd see in an old Jetsons cartoon they'd get the iconic 100 year anniversary game.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be a tough game either way, moreso if on the road.

Hope we use pre-season better than fan showtime. We have to hit the ground running (over da Bears)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say, Whaaaaaaaaa. Maybe if they hadn't made their stadium to look like something I'd see in an old Jetsons cartoon they'd get the iconic 100 year anniversary game.

The Bears have been in the NFL longer than the Packers so I would think that would give them some additional pull. In fact I'd like to see the only two original teams playing on Thursday night and leave the Packers to their noon or 3:00 Sunday games. I hate the Thursday games although I suppose if you are going to play one the first one of the year would be the one to get.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears have been in the NFL longer than the Packers so I would think that would give them some additional pull
The Bears predate the Packers - as the Staleys! :poop: ;)
Lambeau is far more historic than than Soldier Field though, where would you rather see the season opener?
Come on now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears have been in the NFL longer than the Packers so I would think that would give them some additional pull. In fact I'd like to see the only two original teams playing on Thursday night and leave the Packers to their noon or 3:00 Sunday games. I hate the Thursday games although I suppose if you are going to play one the first one of the year would be the one to get.
They have, and I do hate Thursday night games, but like I said before. I know George Jetson, and I keep thinking i'm going to see his boy, Elroy, walking the dog around that stadium. Maybe Astro could catch frisbees at halftime? 100 years, let's play at a more iconic stadium that has all the present day amenities and has preserved it's nostalgic past.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have, and I do hate Thursday night games, but like I said before. I know George Jetson, and I keep thinking i'm going to see his boy, Elroy, walking the dog around that stadium. Maybe Astro could catch frisbees at halftime? 100 years, let's play at a more iconic stadium that has all the present day amenities and has preserved it's nostalgic past.

1. I also am not a fan of Thursday night games, as far as the Packers are concerned. I'm also not crazy about Sunday night of Monday night, but Thursday's are the worst. Sunday, noon kickoff - The best.

2. Obviously, Lambeau is superior to Soldier's Field in about every way one stadium can be superior to another. The best thing the venue in Chicago has going for it is the name. - As a vet, that I like.

3. If Green Bay opens on the road, that just means one more home game later - That's the upside.

4. Who else but Green Bay could finish 6-9-1, I third place in the division, the twelfth worst team overall, and still be tabbed to play in the League Opener.

5. Go Pack Go!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears predate the Packers - as the Staleys! :poop: ;)
Lambeau is far more historic than than Soldier Field though, where would you rather see the season opener?
Come on now.

I would rather see the season opener in Lambeau but if I were a Packer fan, and I am, and we opened in Chicago last year I'd be kind of pissed that we had to do it again this year and I'm guessing most packer fans would be as well. I wouldn't blame Bears fans for being pissed if they had to open in Lambeau again this year.

Members online

Latest posts