GB's DT Colin Cole signs with seahawks ...........

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he signed a 5 yr contract , guess that opens the wallet to get Chris Canty ( seahawks want him too ). :beer:

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We best get Canty now that Coles gone.. I mean look at what we'd have if we dont get Canty.

Jenkins
PIckett
Jolly
Harrell
Malone.

Please TT Get this one!

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cole is not a huge loss but a loss none the less. He is someone that could have backed up Pickett at the nose. Some said he could have played DE also but I don't think he had that talent.

You would have liked to sign Cole but it's not a earth shaking loss.

I don't like the money Canty wants. You can't break the bank on a guy who has like 7 sacks in the past 3 years. He is a decent player but not a great player and should be paid accordingly.

The Packers do however need some help in the front seven and if at the right price he could help.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
totally agree with you freefromwhatyouare. We need help, and Canty would be great, but it's A LOT of money he wants, money that he doesn't deserve. But it's the market, he's the best out there this year, and we need help...

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's "the best" DE left in free agency but there wasn't much to begin with.

Antonio Smith who just signed elsewhere is a better player than Canty.

The Packers will be ok if they don't get Canty. Do I think he could help some? Yes, however I don't like over-paying lesser talent. It will and always does come back to haunt you. Again, at the right price you sign him. If not you let someone else make a mistake and over-pay him.

We have plenty of our current quality players to spend money on. You don't pay Canty crazy dollars and get Cullen Jenkins upset that this cat is making 2 times what he does.

A LOT goes into this and I think some will go crazy and start blasting Ted Thompson if he doesn't sign here. Those same fans would be complaining he was over-paid if he under performs next season.

Ted will do what's right for the TEAM and that's why we are lucky to have him running the show.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GJ85 said:
Not a big loss we will survive

You guys are nuts if you think this is a small loss. How bad did the loss of Williams affect this team last year? How much was it exacerbated with one other loss to injury? (Jenkins)

Your D-lineman are the heart & soul of your D. Rag tag pick-ups & Justin Harrell are all that's left to back-up Jolly, Pickett & Jenkins now. This is going to be another disappointing season.

As for Chris Canty, he wasn't a Pro Bowler but the OLB playing behind him was. That's what 3-4 DEs are expected to do - make better players out of your 2nd line of defense. Demarcus Ware is considered one of the best OLBs in the league. Can you guess why? Kampman would have been indefensible with a guy like Canty eating up blockers in front of Aaron. Very disappointing turn of events. :no:

Now a couple of new guys will be expected to step in & gel instantly with the current group in order for GB to be a contender in the division. How sucky is that? :no:

For a decade & a half this team was an annual contender & division titles were expected. Now all we hope for is to be competitive in the division. How sucky is that? :no: :no:

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Now a couple of new guys will be expected to step in & gel instantly with the current group in order for GB to be a contender in the division. How sucky is that? :no:

For a decade & a half this team was an annual contender & division titles were expected. Now all we hope for is to be competitive in the division. How sucky is that? :no: :no:

Cole played 4 years in GB. The only time he received any substantial playing time was due to injury to someone else. Think of it. Cole had no Pro-Bowl players in front of him (Pickett, Jolly, Harrell & Williams) but yet he couldn't subplant any of them in 4 years. Cole is at best a back-up who just got over-paid like most FAs.

The current roster & the draft will produce a better DL than free agency ever could.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WoodyG said:
Cole played 4 years in GB. The only time he received any substantial playing time was due to injury to someone else. Think of it. Cole had no Pro-Bowl players in front of him (Pickett, Jolly, Harrell & Williams) but yet he couldn't subplant any of them in 4 years. Cole is at best a back-up who just got over-paid like most FAs.

The current roster & the draft will produce a better DL than free agency ever could.

Jolly was given more opportunities to develop than Cole after TT came along. Everyone agrees that D-lineman need 3 or 4 years to mature. Apparently SEA believes Cole is ready. They have faced him a couple of times in the last 3 seasons so they're apparently impressed with him.

The politics of who starts & who doesn't is an unspoken code among GMs & coaches. TT drafted Jolly, Sherman drafted Cole. How bad does it reflect on TT's drafting skill if his pick doesn't play ahead of Cole? TT's already dealing with his blunder of picking an IR junkie like Harrell so what's he got left to hang his hat on (with respect to DTs) besides Jolly?

Cole was worth keeping, unless your GM wishes to allow his team to wallow in mediocrity for another year or two while new acquisitions acclimate themselves to their new teammates.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cole sucks, he signed elsewhere, move on. He will be replaced. If he is replaced with someone worse than him, than that's a problem. But there aren't a lot of guys that are worse than him... He sucks, for Christ's sake!

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
It was my understanding that Cole was not a good fit for the 3-4.

If you want to get picky then it's safe to say that, since none of these current players have been part of a 3-4 defense in the last 4 years, none of them are a good fit for the 3-4. It's the same learning curve for all of them. It's a lame excuse for letting another D-lineman get away from an already thin group.

CalifPacker said:
I also think the Giants overpaid for Canty.

What are you basing this statement on? The fact that Canty played DE in a 3-4 so well in his years at DAL that Demarcus Ware became a superstar playing OLB behind him? He's 26 years old & has 2 or more of his best years ahead of him.

Maybe NYG paid too much for a guy that's better suited to play the 3-4 but it's a fact that GB needed him a whole lot more than NYG, therefore he was worth the $$$ to come to GB, if just for the experience in the system.

BTW, if you want to talk about overpaid, look no further than GB's #12. Great guy & good player but give me a break. His mid-season contract was unwarranted & mostly undeserved for a guy 8 games into his 1st starting season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
BTW, if you want to talk about overpaid, look no further than GB's #12. Great guy & good player but give me a break. His mid-season contract was unwarranted & mostly undeserved for a guy 8 games into his 1st starting season.
Yeah, totally agree with you. I rather have a cheap **** Rexy... Or maybe the great Gus Frerotte... It's not just 8 games, you forget that this guy has been in here for 3 years, and the coaches and personnel evaluate him every day... and he's 24, if you want to talk about age. What has Phillip Rivers done better than Rodgers? Or Jay Cutler? Those guys get more money than him... It's one thing to dislike the administration, but to criticize EVERY MOVE... And Canty WAS overpaid. Look at Aaron Smith. He's mile ahead of Canty, and he doesn't get the money this guy just got... I would like to have Canty in Green and Gold, don't care how much it would cost, because you need to utilize your cap space to get good players, it's the GM job to do it, but to say he wasn't ovarpaid it's not true...

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow!

Now Rodgers is over-paid?

They were jealous of Favre for 17 years and now it's Aarons turn.

I hate when Bears fans sneak in here.

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Maybe NYG paid too much for a guy that's better suited to play the 3-4 but it's a fact that GB needed him a whole lot more than NYG, therefore he was worth the $$$ to come to GB, if just for the experience in the system.

This isn't Fantasy Football. You can't throw money in all directions just to spend it. Canty is a DL. Comparing his contract to a QBs contract is absurd. The most critical spot on any NFL team is the QB.

A-Rod's contract will seem like a steal after he plays in the next few Pro-Bowls.

At least you didn't mention that 'old, retired' QB to make your point.

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
waterboy wrote:
As for Chris Canty, he wasn't a Pro Bowler but the OLB playing behind him was. That's what 3-4 DEs are expected to do - make better players out of your 2nd line of defense. Demarcus Ware is considered one of the best OLBs in the league. Can you guess why? Kampman would have been indefensible with a guy like Canty eating up blockers in front of Aaron. Very disappointing turn of events.

Great take, coudn't agree with you more..helped Ware become dominate in Dallas and could have helped Kampan succeed even more in the 3-4. Too bad but hopefully TT has a plan B for a DE.

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know, this may be GB's year to draft specificaly DT, OLB, and OL players

i say this because they are getting really thin in these spots

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WoodyG said:
doughsellz said:

This isn't Fantasy Football. You can't throw money in all directions just to spend it. Canty is a DL. Comparing his contract to a QBs contract is absurd. The most critical spot on any NFL team is the QB.

A-Rod's contract will seem like a steal after he plays in the next few Pro-Bowls.

At least you didn't mention that 'old, retired' QB to make your point.

For you to infer that I was comparing Rodger's contract to Canty's is absurd.

$60 million for a QB with 8 starts to his credit is a LOT of money. He was a back-up for 3 years. Canty started & played exceptionally well for 4 years. To say he is overpaid & Rodgers is not is absurd. That's my point, not a dollar for dollar, apples to oranges contract comparison.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not feed into this crap about Rodgers being over-paid. It's a ridiculous argument to compare the signing of DE to the contract of a starting QB in the NFL.

Canty playing exceptionally well for four years? hmm wonder why the Cowboys didn't make sure they didn't lose him? He is a average DE who was over-paid in free agency.

This drivel was started by doghsellz and I'm learning fast to ignore his posts.

p.s. doughboy you can continue this crap in the "rip on MM and TT" thread.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Canty, a 6-7, 305-pounder, played his first four seasons for the Giants' NFC East rivals, the Dallas Cowboys. He played all 64 games with 50 starts during that time and started all 16 games in each of the last three seasons. Canty, 26, totaled 148 tackles (102 solo), 10.0 sacks, eight passes defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery."
4 seasons, 10 sacks, 1 forced fumble.
Are those $42Million Dollars stats???

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
CalifPacker said:
It was my understanding that Cole was not a good fit for the 3-4.

CalifPacker said:
I also think the Giants overpaid for Canty.

What are you basing this statement on? The fact that Canty played DE in a 3-4 so well in his years at DAL that Demarcus Ware became a superstar playing OLB behind him? He's 26 years old & has 2 or more of his best years ahead of him.

Career Stats more
Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
2008 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 37 25 12 3.0 -- 5 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2007 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 43 30 13 3.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2006 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 33 24 9 1.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2005 Dallas Cowboys 16 2 35 23 12 2.5 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
TOTAL-----------------------148 102 46 10.0 0 8 0 0 -- 0 0 0 0

You want to pay $42 mil for this?

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, amazing to me when people are getting excited/panic mode at losing "Colin Cole". We are talking about the same guy that has been in GB the past few years, the journeyman DT, some people are behaving as if we lost an interior play making wrecking ball that was constantly in the backfield blasting QB's and RB's!!! I don't remember any of those plays but I do drink quite a bit during games so who knows. People, take a step back, Teddy will find a mid to late draft pick rookie that will come in and be the equal of Cole and better suited for the 3-4, and oh yeah at a fraction of that ridiculous salary Sea threw in C squareds lap!!!
Weigh in on the Canty deal, believe or understand how they could justify throwing that down. His age, combined with the size/weight/ability he brings to their talented but undersized DL group. They needed some stoutness and run stuffing to go with their sack guys, not only all that its always sweet to sign a talented young guy from your division rival making it a two tiered move, you strengthen your team and weaken the Cowboys

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Career Stats more
Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
2008 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 37 25 12 3.0 -- 5 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2007 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 43 30 13 3.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2006 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 33 24 9 1.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2005 Dallas Cowboys 16 2 35 23 12 2.5 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
TOTAL-----------------------148 102 46 10.0 0 8 0 0 -- 0 0 0 0

You want to pay $42 mil for this?

Yes, I would. I'm not TT though so it's a moot point.

Read my post again, then list Ware's stats since Canty became a starter. I believe Kampman compares more than favorably to Ware & would have achieved similar results.

Since Canty had designs on playing in a more stat-friendly (for him) position in a 4-3, it may never have happened for us in GB. Canty's agent probably was just yanking NYG's chain, I don't know.

I do know what talks & what walks though. :yes:

Back on topic, GB still needed Cole. His loss will be felt late in the season when the rookie replacement hits the wall & injuries take their toll.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz,
The Packers did not need Cole. They did not see him as a good fit. I posted last week from a kffl NR.

Nevertheless, he is no longer a Packer so, lets move on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts