GB v Dallas: a schedule comparison

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, i am looking past the Panthers. we will destroy that team at home. secondly im not looking past the Detroit Lions, but as a fan i could if i wanted to.

now lets get down to business. A lot has been said about who can beat who and who really owns the NFC. Well because no one really knows anything until the showdown on Nov 29.... i decided to look at the past.
Im comparing the opponents that both GB and Dallas have played and determining who wins.

Giants: Dallas has played the Giants twice already, and won both games. if you add up their combined totals they beat the Giants by 21 points over two games. Green Bay played the Giants once and beat them by 22 points.
ADVANTAGE : Green Bay. granted its a division rival for them... it still took Dallas two games to get even close to our one game beat down.

Vikings: Dallas has played the Vikings once and won by 10 Points. GB has played the Vikings twice and won both games by a margin of 41 points.
ADVANTAGE: Green Bay. our division rival and apparently it would take 4 games against the Vikings to equal our margin of defeat.

Philadelphia: Dallas (after a bye week) beat them 38-17. Green Bay beat the Eagles 16-13 on a last second field goal on the first game of the season.
Advantage: Dallas. They beat a good Philly team at Philly and even though it was after their bye week and we played them rusty at the start of the season. Their blowout was more impressive.

Chicago: Green Bay lost this ancient rivalry game despite a decent showing after a late breakdown from a young team. Dallas beat the Bears 34-10 and made Chicago look silly.
Advantage: Dallas. division rival or not the beat down Dallas put on them was impressive and theres really no excuses here.

Summary: Green Bay and Dallas have played 4 of the same teams over 5 games each.

Green Bay with a total margin defeat of 59 points and an average of 11.8 per opponent
Dallas with a total margin defeat of 76 points and an average of 15.2 per opponent.

Factor in Chicago playing the game of their lives against Green Bay, and the fact that Dallas played two of these teams after a bye (we played two AFC West teams) The teams are closer than the numbers might suggest.
Also considering that the only team that has a playoff shot right now being New York and the fact that in one game we beat them worse than they could in two.

Packnic's Prediction: Green Bay 27 Dallas 17

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really hard to compare two teams just by looking at the scores of games with common opponents.
There are a lot of factors that do not show up.

weather, injuries, playing field, the group of refs who are calling the game (some are more noted for throwing flags and others let the teams play the game.), cohesiveness of the team at a given period of time and so on.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've gotten better at scheming/adjusting for TE's throughout the season. Our linebackers are so damn fast they're almost better than our safeties at covering the TE. Lots of options.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope our rookies don't fold under the pressure of a big, national exposure, under the microscope type game.

The key will be to stay loose, and not get "tight".

That goes for McCarthy as well.

He can get tight sometimes...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
terrell owens needs to be stopped for us to win

I agree. Stopping Owens is much more important than stopping Whitten. It is also much more possible, considering the Pack's defense. I don't know if any WR's have had big days against the Packers yet this season, but Owens will be the biggest test. And leading up to that, they will be tested by Steve Smith and Roy Williams, who are no slouches by any means.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but Dallas should have the advantage in that Giants comparison.

The main reason why we scored so much on NYG was because Manning didn't play the entire game, Umenyiora (the anchor of that defense) didn't play, Jacobs (they're starting tailback) didn't play. Despite all that, Manning put up a sufficing performance against us and their 3rd string tailback got like 75 yards on our so-called dominating defense.

Dallas went against the 6-2 team, a team that was highly regarded as the most improved unit because of all the starters that have returned.

You also fail to mention that the only team Dallas lost to is the New England Patriots.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
terrell owens needs to be stopped for us to win

I agree. Stopping Owens is much more important than stopping Whitten. It is also much more possible, considering the Pack's defense. I don't know if any WR's have had big days against the Packers yet this season, but Owens will be the biggest test. And leading up to that, they will be tested by Steve Smith and Roy Williams, who are no slouches by any means.

Considering our play against guys like Jeremy Shockey, Antonio Gates, Chris Cooley, and Tony Gonzalez--I think it's pretty important to stop Witten.

Teams have stopped Owens before, but Romo still had guys like Witten, Crayton and their 2-headed backfield step up.

Scythe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but Dallas should have the advantage in that Giants comparison.

The main reason why we scored so much on NYG was because Manning didn't play the entire game, Umenyiora (the anchor of that defense) didn't play, Jacobs (they're starting tailback) didn't play. Despite all that, Manning put up a sufficing performance against us and their 3rd string tailback got like 75 yards on our so-called dominating defense.

Dallas went against the 6-2 team, a team that was highly regarded as the most improved unit because of all the starters that have returned.

You also fail to mention that the only team Dallas lost to is the New England Patriots.

The Giants game was already out of reach when Manning came out, and Umenyiora did play. Also, Lorenzen only had 28 yards passing in the game .

AZRunning

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more important to shut down TO and the rest of the cowboys. Jeremy Shockey, Antonio Gates, Chris Cooley, and Tony Gonzalez all had good games against us and all lost. Witten can have his catches but doesn't have the potential to dominate a game the way TO does.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
t.o is a factor but dont forget barber they stop the run game and they have to throw alot chances are we get some interceptions our d-line needs to be tip top in this game o-line too cowboys secondary is weak from what i've read but for now i want a win sunday and turkey day :D

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All those stats only mean something in fantasy football. Stats like that only mean something on ESPN

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really is hard to not think about this game so soon eh guys. I mean this game will really be a big one. There is a video on NFL.com that has a former football player turned commentator who said a lot of cool things about the Packers and gave them equal chance with the Cowboys saying that they matched up very well. Of course he was just saying what us fans already know but it was nice hearing someone in the biz say it for a change.

Members online

Latest posts