GB trades for RB

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers trade for running back
The Green Bay Packers reportedly have acquired running back Ryan Grant in a trade from the New York Giants.

The Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger reported that the Packers have given up an undisclosed draft pick for the former Notre Dame running back. Grant, who missed all of last season due to a hand injury sustained in a nightclub incident, rushed for 90 yards on 18 carries in the preseason.

The 6-foot-1 and 218-pound Grant will give the Packers some insurance in case Brandon Jackson (concussion), Vernand Morency (knee) and Noah Herron (knee) are slow to recover from their injuries.

The Star-Ledger on its website said the Packers had offered one of their kickers, Mason Crosby or Dave Rayner, to the Giants instead of the draft pick.

-- Rob Demovsky, [email protected]

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, here's to hoping he's another quality TT value pickup. (anymore, i'm surprised if any of these guys don't pan out for us, and that's a good problem to have)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What surprises me about this is that TT parted with a draft pick.

That excites me! If Ted thinks this guy is worth a pick, this guy is probably something good.

Nice find on that message board trom!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol he must be good. We gave a Draft Pick!!!

In all seriousness I can't tell you I know a whole scouting report on the guy. He has good size and decent speed. I'm not sure if he's the problem solver for the Packers running game though.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only thought on him is that even though he averaged 5.0ypc, since he was deep in the rotation, he probably wasn't playing againest the #1 Ds. I just KNEW TT would get a player I'd never heard of just to tick me off. Do the Giants use the ZBS??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grant_ryan00.html

thats his college profile

Veteran running back with uncommon talent who aims to regain his starting role this season ... has earned three monograms with the Irish and was the starting running back in 2002 ... became only the seventh player in Notre Dame history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season (1,085 yards) in 2002 ... needs 295 yards rushing to become the 13th player in Notre Dame history to rush for 2,000 yards in a career ... has rushed for 1,705 yards and 13 touchdowns in his career ... has rushed for 100+ yards four times in his Irish career ... a straight-line runner who is hard to tackle because of his size ... has explosive speed through the line ... possesses a great work ethic and is willing to play through injuries ... a student of the game who always seeks to learn as much as he can.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recording the NYG/NE game on NFLN to check the kid out right now!

Maybe the trade of a draft pick points to TT feeling 'set' on the current depth- maybe next offseason we'll see a change from the normal strategy?

And to answer your question, grandpa-no, the Gmen don't run a ZBS. They're slam-bang downhill.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only thought on him is that even though he averaged 5.0ypc, since he was deep in the rotation, he probably wasn't playing againest the #1 Ds. I just KNEW TT would get a player I'd never heard of just to tick me off. Do the Giants use the ZBS??

Based on the reports I've read in the last half hour or so, it seems like he'll be an ideal fit for the ZBS.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to **** in your cheerios LT, but

"In many ways Grant represents a stereotypical Notre Dame football player from the past 10 years or so — a talented player who never reached his potential. Grant reached his peak as a sophomore and never improved from that point. From the 2002 Boston College game on, it appeared Grant was slower and went down easier than he did previously."

Link

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

"In many ways Grant represents a stereotypical Notre Dame football player from the past 10 years or so — a talented player who never reached his potential. Grant reached his peak as a sophomore and never improved from that point. From the 2002 Boston College game on, it appeared Grant was slower and went down easier than he did previously."

Link

Of course he didnt reach his potential, he's gonna reach his potential WITH THE PACKERS!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Link

Didnt say a word either negative or positive about him..just posted his COLLEGE profile..

so you must have pissed in someone else's cheerios :p

Reaction score
Of course he didnt reach his potential, he's gonna reach his potential WITH THE PACKERS!

And it'll all be because of Greg Jennings.

Seriously, wait until Gregorious spends a half and hour with this dude, he'll teach him to be the BEST. RB. EVER.

I say this Grant kid will become Jenning's student, and he'll learn the delicate art of making peoples' heads explode when they try to tackle you.

Just wait and see. :pop:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully this dude will contribute, i have faith in TT's scouting ability and i;m sure he did his homework on him

btw, i'm making an appearance in the chatroom tonight for a meet and greet session. come along!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
...so you must have pissed in someone else's cheerios :p

Cool LT :p

It is a moot point anyway, because as trom so eloquently put it looong ago:

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 01:14 PM
you live by the favre, you die by the favre.

:pop:

I still stand by that for the most part

but this is about our new RB, take your viking fagatronics elsewhere!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People cant seem to take jokes today. The dendy thread. this.

thats a shame.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Link

didn't jerome bettis come from Notre Dame?