Gb trade 2008 1st rounder for Michael Turner?

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got this off a blog I read (guy is staying in media hotel in NY):

Clayton just got off the phone with Ted Thompson, GM for Green Bay. The Packers are really thinking about giving up their 1st Round pick NEXT YEAR for Michael Turner.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ill believe it when i see it.

just doesnt sound like ted.

not the ted i know.

the ted i love.

the ted with the restraining order.

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN now reports the Buffalo Bills are out of the running in acquiring San Diego Chargers RB Michael Turner.

:thumbsup:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ill believe it when i see it.

just doesnt sound like ted.

not the ted i know.

the ted i love.

the ted with the restraining order.

There's the Tro I know

The Tro I love

The Tro I adore

Well love and adore might be a stretch.

If we get Moss and Turner tomorrow, how many shots of Quervo are you doing big guy?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I have hoped for Turner, the Titans might be more logical. Another thought, and this is pure guesswork, TT knows our holes this year that need filling and can't spare any picks. But he may feel that next year we will have fewer holes as the young guys should be more NFL ready. So the Chargers may have been insisting on our #2 pick this year which would equate to #1 next year because they waited. Who knows?

Reaction score
I think trom makes a great point about this not being TT's style BUT:

Er if I remember correctly, the Titans got their GM from the Seahawks, a guy by the name of Mike Reinfeldt. He, like TT, played for the Houston Oilers, and the two are friends.

I remember reading an article a few weeks back where Reinfeldt explained his philosophy of building through the draft and keeping the Free Agent signings to a minimum.

In other words, he is a LOT similar to TT. That would mean he too would be hesitant to give up day 1 draft picks for a player like Turner.

Also, any deal that gets done would first be based on Turner negotiating a new contract, because the team that trades for Turner won't throw a 1st round pick and risk the chance of Turner escaping through Free Agency.

So far, I haven't heard that any team has struck a deal with, or even negotiated with Turner.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read or heard somewhere that the Bills are officially out of the running for Turner. That really realistically leaves the Pack and the Titans.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol so many rumours about the packers these days, it's fun to be a packerfan!!!

Don't you find it odd? I mean, Ted is known to be such a tightass but yet there are rampant rumors involving the Packers everywhere. And hes a pretty secretive guy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's secretive, but i don't think he's tight. he'll spend money on quality guys. instead of saying he's tight, i think it's more accurate to say that he's more reserved than many other GM's, not throwing money around at players who don't deserve it.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Perhaps it's a source close to Ted that is leaking the stuff?

Do agree with you about the Ted being secretive though.

Maybe Packer fans (myself included) are so anxious to win that we fuel all the rumors. RaiderPride's post about Moss/Anderson for A-Rod and a pick only took 1 day before the Boston Herald printed it. So, either it is true or the reporters read the message boards.

Do other team's fan sites have as many rampant rumors?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my take....The one report said that TT would not give a #1 pick next year because he doesn't know how high that pick might be. If true, that's STUPIDITY of the first order. The last two years Turner has averaged 6+YPC. Which first rd. pick this year, or any year, does he figure will get him 6+YPC? Bush didn't do it last year and Peterson won't do it this year. Where is he going to get such a player at ANY price? Yet he thinks a #1 next year is too much? He'll be darned lucky to get a RB who will average 5 YPC. If this report is true, he's carrying his rep for tightness way too far. JMHO.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol

1 report of 349693246394734 reports.

lets just wait and see and not pretend to read minds.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
little bit of bad news

Turner to Titans?
<Apr. 27> The Tennessee Titans are emerging as the big player on the Michael Turner trade sweepstakes, ESPN's John Clayton reports. The Chargers say they have a first-round offer from 2008 from an unnamed team. The Titans are spending the most time trying to satisfy the Chargers in a trade. The Titans aren?t willing to give up their first-round pick this year or first-round pick next year, but they are trying to offer creative deals. The Bills are officially out and not going to make a Turner trade. The price of signing him might exceed what it cost the Ravens to pay former Bill Willis McGahee. The Packers aren?t saying if they are in on the Turner bidding. No deal was completed Friday night, but talks are continuing into Saturday morning. Turner could end up in Tennessee.

i guess that says we are still the top bider... but titans are nippin at our heels

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
little bit of bad news

Turner to Titans?
<Apr. 27> The Tennessee Titans are emerging as the big player on the Michael Turner trade sweepstakes, ESPN's John Clayton reports. The Chargers say they have a first-round offer from 2008 from an unnamed team. The Titans are spending the most time trying to satisfy the Chargers in a trade. The Titans aren't willing to give up their first-round pick this year or first-round pick next year, but they are trying to offer creative deals. The Bills are officially out and not going to make a Turner trade.
This is getting silly. So, let me follow here:

1. Chargers have a first round offer in 08 (prob GB)
2. The Titans aren't willing to give up a 1st in 07 or 08.

Yet
3. The Titans are emerging as a big player for Turner

:shrug:

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that we are not under a major deadline to deal for Turner here -- if the deal is for a 1st round pick next year. So, we have time next week to get that deal done and work out terms with him. The only effect it would have on us is if we were to draft Lynch in the 1st or a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Which may not be a bad idea to do anyway.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that we are not under a major deadline to deal for Turner here -- if the deal is for a 1st round pick next year. So, we have time next week to get that deal done and work out terms with him. The only effect it would have on us is if we were to draft Lynch in the 1st or a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Which may not be a bad idea to do anyway.
The danger, though, is that we pass on a few decent backs in the first day because of Turner. Then, after the draft, SD says they now want a 1st and a 3rd. What do you do then? You set yourself up for no leverage. Right now, we can just take a back in the draft if need be. Plus, with the issues we have, I wouldn't want to spend a 1st in 08 (Turner) AND a 2nd this year. I'd rather get Turner done and then use our first day picks on needs at safety, nickel corner, WR (maybe trade for Moss) and TE.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts