GB PG Editorial: Farve made his decison-in his own time

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The followng is from The Green Bay Press-Gazette Editorial section in the April 27, 2006 issue of the GB PG.

Issue

Brett Favre's decision

Our view

Continuing to play is good news for Green Bay

Posted April 27, 2006

Editorial: Favre made his decision — in his own time

The one-sentence press release from Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson Wednesday morning speaks for us.

"The Green Bay Packers are very pleased that Brett has come to this decision, and look forward to a successful 2006 season."

Brett Favre's announcement ended a see-saw winter that saw fans growing anxious to know whether an era had come to an end. That we can look forward to another season of the man's very special career is a bonus that many predicted would not be afforded to us.

But it is germane to note that through the point-counterpoint of the Favre retirement issue, in which every national television and radio sports commentator and scores of area fans voiced or wrote an opinion, Favre never lied to us.

He told us on Jan. 1 that he didn't know what he was going to do. He told us again in late January. He repeated it to Press-Gazette columnist Chris Havel earlier this month, then again the following day to the horde of reporters that converged on western Tennessee for a golf tournament press conference.

Clearly, the Favre Watch became a distraction and led to a restless fandom. But the satisfaction that comes with knowing that Favre will play on should be reinforced by the knowledge that he never made disparaging comments about Green Bay or seemed to be holding up the Packers for more money.

A public that has had an overdose of athlete greed and a me-first attitude should take heart in the fact that Favre maintained a professional, if reclusive, demeanor during his self-imposed hibernation. He told the world that he was going to withdraw to his Mississippi home to contemplate his future and would tell us when he was ready.

That's exactly what he did.

His decision clears the way for the next phase of the Ted Thompson-Mike McCarthy 2006 plan, beginning with this weekend's draft, then the minicamps, then training camp, then the season.

Knowing that Favre is onboard can only increase the chances that the plan can succeed, despite obvious team shortcomings. But the fact that the man who has entertained Packers fans for 14 seasons stands ready to entertain for a 15th season is spring tonic for us all."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
A public that has had an overdose of athlete greed and a me-first attitude should take heart in the fact that Favre maintained a professional, if reclusive, demeanor during his self-imposed hibernation. He told the world that he was going to withdraw to his Mississippi home to contemplate his future and would tell us when he was ready.

That's exactly what he did.

Hate to be soure grapes, but Brett didn't tell us anything. He told Ted and Mike and some where between them and JSonline and our forum here is where some of us were told.

I have yet to hear/learn about a speech made by Brett to the fans.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, Just so you all know... I'll be holding a press conference at 9 am CST Monday morning in Game Day Chat to announce that I WILL keep posting messages on packerforum.com.

Members online

Latest posts