GB/Dallas Game from a Cowboys Fan's Perspective

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off I want to say I have a great respect for Favre and the Packers organization. I followed Favre since he led Southern Miss to an unlikely upset of a then powerhouse Bama team. I've always liked his style of play and am excited that we finally have a QB that has similar attributes.

It should be an incredible game with 2 teams that are not only playing exceptional, but come with such a rich tradition of history and championship play.

Honestly I have only seen a few Packers' games, but what I have seen is impressive. Offensively I think GB will create a lot of problems for our secondary with the spread offense. Driver is solid and Jennings and Jones look like future all-stars. Also, everyone knows we struggle with TE coverage so that can also be exploited. We are pretty tough against the run so I don't expect Grant to get much. As for our pass rush, Ware and Ellis are having great years. Ellis is just getting back into the groove after a possible career ending injury last season. He has 8.5 sacks in 8 games played. I don't expect big sack numbers though because Brett is mobile and smart and knows when to get rid of the ball.

When Dallas is on offense I think they can also have success with Witten since GB has also struggled against TEs. Witten's success and that of the running game will determine how much damage TO does. Our line is big and does well in pass protect, but is inconsistent in run blocking so I don't think rushing success is a given. Barber has a tendancy to bounce all his runs to the outside and Jones has to have a seam to be effective. I think Romo's mobility will decrease the effectiveness of your rush and our line has played well when challenged by a good pass rushing team. You can pretty much expect Romo to make one bad throw a game (INT), but he usually does well afterwards.

Special teams: Folk has been money as our kicker and McBriar is a pro-bowl punter. Our true weakness is our KO coverage. Folk kicks short and we don't tackle well. Most teams start around their 35 which is awful on our part.

I think this is a 4th qtr game unless one team has multiple turnovers or penalties, in which case either team could run away with the game.

Here's to an injury free game. :D Thoughts?

For the most part I agree. Great post.

I think both Quarterbacks have the ability to pick apart the defenses. The safeties for both teams are great against the run but are somewhat of a liablity against the pass. Roy Williams is a great player but he's always had that problem. Favre could get a few chances at completing a long ball. Same for Romo.

Witten is going to have a huge day. The Packers just have to hope his big day equals the same result in the end that the other games had when Tight Ends had a big day. Let the TE do his thing but don't let the real playmakers beat you. In the case of San Diego it was LT. In the case of Kansas City it was LJ. In this case I think it's TO but I do admitt that Dallas has a lot of ways to beat you.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboysfan178 said:
Packnic said:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"it would appear the strain of the playoffs was more than he could bear."

Brett Favre... 0-8 At Dallas Stadium. (the one with the hole in the roof, so God has somewhere to flush"

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin'"

We could talk about 4th and 26 if you'd like to talk about collapses.

That play had nothing to do with Favre. I believe that particular played did deal with Mr. **** Romo himself.

Don't be an idiot...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I live in Plano TX (suburb of Dallas) and always am treated just fine wearing my Packer gear out. Most are genuinely interested in talking football, not smack. Get some looks, and people ask are you from Wisconsin, about it. If I want to fly under the radar I wear my Lambeau field hat.

I was wearing my packer gear and was approached in a grocery store by a 27 year equipment manager of the Cowboys, Bucky Buchanan (think that is what he said). We had a great conversation about the upcoming game and the Tom Landry / Lombardi eras. Was a lot of fun. Also gave some anecdotes about Jimmy and his time as coach. Both agreed we'd like to see a good game. Should have invited him over to watch the game.

Here's to a good clean game! No injuries.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe and hate to say it, but for us to do well in Dallas we cant have 4-5 defensive players injured. I noticed Charles Woodson went to a game time decision and havent really heard about our two hurt safties.

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe and hate to say it, but for us to do well in Dallas we cant have 4-5 defensive players injured. I noticed Charles Woodson went to a game time decision and havent really heard about our two hurt safties.
I think you'll be better off with DB injuries than us. You seem to have pretty evenly distributed talent from your 1st to 3rd WRs where we have a significant drop from 1 to 2 to 3. Also Crayton our #2 WR (actually #3 since Glenn is our real #2) is still gimpy, but says he'll play. And, Henry our other starting CB will play, but in a limited roll since he still hasn't full recovered from a high ankle sprain. Those tend to linger for a long time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gattocheese said:
I think you'll be better off with DB injuries than us. You seem to have pretty evenly distributed talent from your 1st to 3rd WRs where we have a significant drop from 1 to 2 to 3. Also Crayton our #2 WR (actually #3 since Glenn is our real #2) is still gimpy, but says he'll play. And, Henry our other starting CB will play, but in a limited roll since he still hasn't full recovered from a high ankle sprain. Those tend to linger for a long time.

Woodson has a toe issue, if it isnt 100% he might have an issue pushing off it...If Woodson can't go, I think that would really be an issue for the backfield there..I hate to say it, but the Pack REALLY need him back there

Not so worried about KGB, I think he will go...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game as ALL the other games the Packers have won comes down to penalties that negate big plays. BOth sides will have big plays and which side tends to be less penalty prone at the right moments will win this game.

I think the Packers match up very well vs. the Cowboys.

Kampman/KGB are better pass rushers than anybody the Cowboys have and Romo will be running for his life alot.

I see the Packers winning this one handily.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This game as ALL the other games the Packers have won comes down to penalties that negate big plays. BOth sides will have big plays and which side tends to be less penalty prone at the right moments will win this game.

Kampman/KGB are better pass rushers than anybody the Cowboys have and Romo will be running for his life alot.

I dont think handily at all..

This game scares me, if they play mistake free ( limit penalties and no turn overs) they have a GREAT shot at winning

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

I dont think handily at all..

This game scares me, if they play mistake free ( limit penalties and no turn overs) they have a GREAT shot at winning

May be it will be close but in the presence of a Cowboys fan, what do you expect me to say?...We quit?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BayouCowboy said:
Gattocheese said:

Woodson has a toe issue, if it isnt 100% he might have an issue pushing off it...If Woodson can't go, I think that would really be an issue for the backfield there..I hate to say it, but the Pack REALLY need him back there

Not so worried about KGB, I think he will go...

Agree 100% Longtime. 100%

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kampman and KGB are excellent, but Ware and Ellis are just as dangerous. Ellis has 8.5 sacks with only 8 games played and Ware (9.0 sacks; 63 tckls, 2 FF) does it all from rushing the QB to dropping in coverage and is great in backside pursuit. A lot of what he does you don't even see in stats.

Pocket awarenes is going to be big for both Favre and Romo.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A little more of the Tombstone theme....

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brett: My fight's not with you, Cowboys.
Cowboys: We beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?
Brett: Oh that. I was just foolin' about.
Cowboys: We weren't. :wink:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Look at the crown on the old surface of the field... I wonder if it was built up to offset Troy's weaker arm. Allowing the ball to travel to the sidelines with the help of gravity. ;)

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(after getting bull rushed)
"Who wants to play in the sandbox? Wait . . . Oh crap. Where am I?"

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brett: We're gonna go right "ByYou,Cowboy!" :wink:

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BayouCowboy said:

Brett: We're gonna go right "ByYou,Cowboy!" :wink:
Bad form. Now go stand at the end of the line. :lol:

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have ya'll seen the "Tony Romo's ribs" vid? It's pretty funny. A packer fan from another forum posted it on our forum. I'll link it if anyone wants.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts