GB/Dallas Game from a Cowboys Fan's Perspective

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off I want to say I have a great respect for Favre and the Packers organization. I followed Favre since he led Southern Miss to an unlikely upset of a then powerhouse Bama team. I've always liked his style of play and am excited that we finally have a QB that has similar attributes.

It should be an incredible game with 2 teams that are not only playing exceptional, but come with such a rich tradition of history and championship play.

Honestly I have only seen a few Packers' games, but what I have seen is impressive. Offensively I think GB will create a lot of problems for our secondary with the spread offense. Driver is solid and Jennings and Jones look like future all-stars. Also, everyone knows we struggle with TE coverage so that can also be exploited. We are pretty tough against the run so I don't expect Grant to get much. As for our pass rush, Ware and Ellis are having great years. Ellis is just getting back into the groove after a possible career ending injury last season. He has 8.5 sacks in 8 games played. I don't expect big sack numbers though because Brett is mobile and smart and knows when to get rid of the ball.

When Dallas is on offense I think they can also have success with Witten since GB has also struggled against TEs. Witten's success and that of the running game will determine how much damage TO does. Our line is big and does well in pass protect, but is inconsistent in run blocking so I don't think rushing success is a given. Barber has a tendancy to bounce all his runs to the outside and Jones has to have a seam to be effective. I think Romo's mobility will decrease the effectiveness of your rush and our line has played well when challenged by a good pass rushing team. You can pretty much expect Romo to make one bad throw a game (INT), but he usually does well afterwards.

Special teams: Folk has been money as our kicker and McBriar is a pro-bowl punter. Our true weakness is our KO coverage. Folk kicks short and we don't tackle well. Most teams start around their 35 which is awful on our part.

I think this is a 4th qtr game unless one team has multiple turnovers or penalties, in which case either team could run away with the game.

Here's to an injury free game. :D Thoughts?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Establishing the run with Grant will open things up for our offense. Look for some short passes early followed by a good dose of Grant. This will keep our offense on the field longer, helping our defense to be ready.

The key for our defense will be stopping Witten. TO's impact should be limited by some good coverage. If we end up needing to help out on covering Witten too much, then we'll struggle in run and pass defense. The other difficult factor will be Romo's mobility. Cutler was able to do well against us because of his ability to throw well rolling out of the pocket and Romo could create the same problems.

This one will be a tough battle that will likely come down to the last drive. I really like how MM has created a winning attitude for this team. These guys believe that they will win every game and that makes a huge difference. The difference might come down to which QB can make the least mistakes rather than the biggest plays though. T.O.'s are killer.

GO PACK GO!!!

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers give up too many plays over the middle. That has been one of there problems and obviously that is where the TE's go. They don't usually get beat down field on the wings with harris and woodson covering. Lately they have been getting a beat on a lot of over the middle plays beating the safetys and LBers when they are back in coverage.

They get a fair bit of pressure but they are leaving the middle of the field way too open as of late so if you run TE straight or slant u can get it off in time. If they cover the middle ground better they are an elite defense. The injuries have hurt that the last few games.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off I want to say I have a great respect for Favre and the Packers organization. I followed Favre since he led Southern Miss to an unlikely upset of a then powerhouse Bama team. I've always liked his style of play and am excited that we finally have a QB that has similar attributes.

It should be an incredible game with 2 teams that are not only playing exceptional, but come with such a rich tradition of history and championship play.

Honestly I have only seen a few Packers' games, but what I have seen is impressive. Offensively I think GB will create a lot of problems for our secondary with the spread offense. Driver is solid and Jennings and Jones look like future all-stars. Also, everyone knows we struggle with TE coverage so that can also be exploited. We are pretty tough against the run so I don't expect Grant to get much. As for our pass rush, Ware and Ellis are having great years. Ellis is just getting back into the groove after a possible career ending injury last season. He has 8.5 sacks in 8 games played. I don't expect big sack numbers though because Brett is mobile and smart and knows when to get rid of the ball.

When Dallas is on offense I think they can also have success with Witten since GB has also struggled against TEs. Witten's success and that of the running game will determine how much damage TO does. Our line is big and does well in pass protect, but is inconsistent in run blocking so I don't think rushing success is a given. Barber has a tendancy to bounce all his runs to the outside and Jones has to have a seam to be effective. I think Romo's mobility will decrease the effectiveness of your rush and our line has played well when challenged by a good pass rushing team. You can pretty much expect Romo to make one bad throw a game (INT), but he usually does well afterwards.

Special teams: Folk has been money as our kicker and McBriar is a pro-bowl punter. Our true weakness is our KO coverage. Folk kicks short and we don't tackle well. Most teams start around their 35 which is awful on our part.

I think this is a 4th qtr game unless one team has multiple turnovers or penalties, in which case either team could run away with the game.

Here's to an injury free game. :D Thoughts?

Bayou - Wow. You really know your stuff. It's always a pleasure to read another fan's perspective when they know what they're talking about.

We too have problems covering TEs. It's probably our biggest weakness on D. You were right to mention that we have that weakness as well as you.

Our Special Teams are pretty solid, which was our biggest weakness last year and it's been fixed this year. Koren Robinson's been wanting to bust one since coming back to the NFL, and he has the stills to do it.

We don't run much in the first half, and our running is really set up by our passing. You'll be putting 7 or sometimes even 6 men in the box, and we'll sneak a run on you. That's how we get a lot of rushing yardage. Grant though, giving him credit, really is a good runner. Wynn was good too, but he was chronically hurt. How many rushing yards we'll gain on you? Well, depends on too many factors to predict right now.

You may be right about this being a 4th Q game, unless turnovers decide the game earlier.

And yes, I pray for no injuries for either side. As much as I don't like opposing teams, I've been injured before and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as simply as i can put it, the key to this game, for both teams, is the home-run type plays. Packers need to limit the Cowboys explosive plays. Cowboys need to limit the Packers explosive plays. if this happens, it will be a very close game, barring any major injuries.

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Zombie.

I expect Dallas to play a lot of nickel D which is nothing new the last few weeks. The news is today that Anthony Henry was held out of practice and if he is still hobbled that will hurt because that forces us to play more Nate Jones and he got lit up in the game against the Patriots. Newman is finally health and that helps us a lot. Our nickel LB Burnett is doing well and he may actually end up with TE responsibilities.

What really scares me is we played a soft cover 2 against the Skins and it was an absolute disaster which almost cost us the game. If we employ that against you guys I don't like our chances.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is a couple quick thought's after watching a couple of the Cowboys games yesterday instead of the Packers.. :(

Packers on Offense.. A lot of the Packers gameplan and formations will depend on how well Tausch and Cliffy handle the OLB in pass protection. If Mark's ankle is slowing him at all or Cliffy stuggles with the speed.. then we will see alot of Bubba (if he plays) or a back staying in to chip block. That will dictate whether we are balanced early or not.. if they handle it.. watch for us to attack the middle of the field with 4 and 5 wide sets about 15 yards or so deep... I am not sold on the LBers of the Cowboys in pass coverage and especially like our chances against the Safeties of the Boy's.

Either way... late in the game I think we can wear down that front and run especially between the Tackle and Guards... they cover the alleys outside pretty well and up the nose.. but I think they can be beaten running right at their ends.. their OLB get upfield moreso.. so there should be lanes in that spot. Watch for an identical route to the KC game up the hashmarks of the field.. forcing the safety to make a decision about covering the middle deep zone and for Jennings or Robinson to get behind them.

Packers on Defense.. Line play will be key in this game, if we handle them upfront and keep Romo in the pocket.. we take a large portion of the threat away from them. Romo doesn't like to drop real deep into the pocket.. so KGB (if he plays) can't take a real wide rush... we need to be able inside pass rush with the ends, collapse the pocket evenly to force Romo to play as a Pocket passer and not add any addition stress to the pass coverages.

I think Dallas will get yards in the running game, but let them have some.. just not any big gainers. Witten is going to have a good game, but again, I think we allow him to have some of those catches.. just keep him in front of the defense and get him to the ground. Crayton and Hurd may have a decent day, but only because we roll coverage to TO early in the game.. frustrating him. To me that will be the key.. if we keep TO quiet for the first 15 to 20 minutes of the game.. he will take himself out of the game. I don't for a second think that TO has changed this year.. he wants the damn ball and often. If he gets off early.. he will stay engauged and give Al a complete game.

Overall I think this will be a great game, but I think the first 5 to 10 minutes of the game will be key. Packers win those minutes.. we have a great chance to win the game. We lose those minutes.. it will be an uphill climb the whole game.

Dark Horse players of the game... Barber on Dallas... Robinson on the Packers.. somehow I think Koren plays a huge role in this game.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a couple quick thought's after watching a couple of the Cowboys games yesterday instead of the Packers.. :(

Packers on Offense.. A lot of the Packers gameplan and formations will depend on how well Tausch and Cliffy handle the OLB in pass protection. If Mark's ankle is slowing him at all or Cliffy stuggles with the speed.. then we will see alot of Bubba (if he plays) or a back staying in to chip block. That will dictate whether we are balanced early or not.. if they handle it.. watch for us to attack the middle of the field with 4 and 5 wide sets about 15 yards or so deep... I am not sold on the LBers of the Cowboys in pass coverage and especially like our chances against the Safeties of the Boy's.

Either way... late in the game I think we can wear down that front and run especially between the Tackle and Guards... they cover the alleys outside pretty well and up the nose.. but I think they can be beaten running right at their ends.. their OLB get upfield moreso.. so there should be lanes in that spot. Watch for an identical route to the KC game up the hashmarks of the field.. forcing the safety to make a decision about covering the middle deep zone and for Jennings or Robinson to get behind them.

Packers on Defense.. Line play will be key in this game, if we handle them upfront and keep Romo in the pocket.. we take a large portion of the threat away from them. Romo doesn't like to drop real deep into the pocket.. so KGB (if he plays) can't take a real wide rush... we need to be able inside pass rush with the ends, collapse the pocket evenly to force Romo to play as a Pocket passer and not add any addition stress to the pass coverages.

I think Dallas will get yards in the running game, but let them have some.. just not any big gainers. Witten is going to have a good game, but again, I think we allow him to have some of those catches.. just keep him in front of the defense and get him to the ground. Crayton and Hurd may have a decent day, but only because we roll coverage to TO early in the game.. frustrating him. To me that will be the key.. if we keep TO quiet for the first 15 to 20 minutes of the game.. he will take himself out of the game. I don't for a second think that TO has changed this year.. he wants the damn ball and often. If he gets off early.. he will stay engauged and give Al a complete game.

Overall I think this will be a great game, but I think the first 5 to 10 minutes of the game will be key. Packers win those minutes.. we have a great chance to win the game. We lose those minutes.. it will be an uphill climb the whole game.

Dark Horse players of the game... Barber on Dallas... Robinson on the Packers.. somehow I think Koren plays a huge role in this game.

i've wanted to make an "I'm your huckleberry" comment ever since you changed your sig, but haven't come up with anything witty. at any rate, nice sig.

Pack93z

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i've wanted to make an "I'm your huckleberry" comment ever since you changed your sig, but haven't come up with anything witty. at any rate, nice sig.

Thanks... all-time favorite movie.. I wonder if we can cast TO as Ike Clanton?

Brett: Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Bayou Cowboy

Bayou Cowboy:
Welcome and a good post from a Cowpoke fan. No Smack which I enjoy! I think you are right this is a 4th Qtr game, only caveat is turnovers mar what might be a classic game! I think Witten will be a key player and if he is then TO might be very small in this game. I also suspect that Witten will not be so big as to decide the game. If GB cannot pressure Romo then it could be a long night but I do believe there will be enough material in this game for the loser to say next time will be different! I expect a 27-24 score and who knows who has 27
Pack88

Pack93z

Reaction score
Yes I have to agree.. the Cowboy posters have been quite knowledgeable and given very good insights to the game from a different viewpoint.. well done indeed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I have to agree.. the Cowboy posters have been quite knowledgeable and given very good insights to the game from a different viewpoint.. well done indeed.
I agree........so far, it seems guys like Bayou are coming here, not the smack talking disrespectful clowns that seem to want to come here to start trouble.
I doff my "Cheesehead" to you Bayou!
You know.........I was down at the 1995 NFC championship game in Dallas, and i was surprised that i was NOT treated badly. Playful ribbing, but nothing over the top. If fans treated each other like this, maybe the idiots would stay away.
Here's to an injury free game..............and i HOPE a Packer victory! :wink:
(Brett needs to win there, to make it complete!) :D

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah bozz i agree. killer avatar. another quote "straight" from that badass movie that relates.

"The Cowboys are finished, you understand? I see a blue star, I kill the man wearin' it! So run you cowboy, run. Go tell all the other cowboys the Pack's coming! You tell em Favre's comin, and Hell's coming with him!"
"Hell's coming with him!"

OP
OP
B

BayouCowboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the Tombstone quotes guys. One of my all-time faves. Here's my rebuttal, "You hypocrisy knows no bounds." and for Brett, "Poor soul. The strain of the Cowboys' rush was more than he could bear." j/k

Thanks for making me welcome. Your football knowledge is refreshing. :p

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post BayouCowboy. I pretty much agree with your analysis.

I only watched Dallas in two pretty uninteresting games (Eagles on SNF and Jets on Thanksgiving), so I don't know your team all that well.

Romo's mobility is a concern and hopefully we can keep him in the pocket and get some hits on him.

If our cornerbacks are healthy then I think we have a bit of an advantage there. Hopefully Woodson can play.

Pack93z

Reaction score
yeah bozz i agree. killer avatar. another quote "straight" from that badass movie that relates.

"The Cowboys are finished, you understand? I see a blue star, I kill the man wearin' it! So run you cowboy, run. Go tell all the other cowboys the Pack's coming! You tell em Favre's comin, and Hell's coming with him!"
"Hell's coming with him!"

Now that is awesome.. well done.. very well done.

And Bayou... you got game.. excellent comeback.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"it would appear the strain of the playoffs was more than he could bear."

Brett Favre... 0-8 At Dallas Stadium. (the one with the hole in the roof, so God has somewhere to flush"

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin'"

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post Bayou. Some of the matchups are intriguing in this game, to say the least. You have a mammoth O-line, but we sub our DT's (and even our DE's) to keep them fresh. How much that will nullify the size and power of your O-line will be interesting. We have physical corners, but you have TO, who isn't exactly a string bean out there. You have a very respectable RB duo. Our run D can be attacked for 5-10 yards a play if we're looking to contain the pass and explosive plays, so its success will all depend on what Romo can do early, or what we are looking for him to do. Otherwise it is stout, especially when Barnett and Bigby are prowling the line looking to take down the runner. Witten is a major weapon for you guys, but I've seen improvement in how we cover TE's in the past few games vs. earlier in the season, especially (oddly enough) from our LB's, like Hawk. Bigby can be beat fairly routinely against a TE with a nicely thrown ball, but the guy is usually down soon after. Woodson is a very smart CB who likes to lure QB's into throws, and Romo is something of a risk taker, is he not? C-Wood may get a pick. WARNING: Kampman is a monster. Don't think he'll be quiet just because he has a 330+ tackle on him.

On offense, we have a lot of WR weapons, but you have two very good corners. How you choose to defend our 3-5 WR sets will be key. First the slants were popular in GB, then the deep balls, then the corner routes. You have to stay aggressive and a step ahead of our offensive gameplan and try not to react to what we have already done, because that will burn you. You have an excellent outside pass rush against our two very good but banged up tackles. I don't know how that will play out. Our running game is hard to predict in a game like this.

Keep a close eye on your kickoffs and punts too. If your kick coverage is suspect, we could bust one. It seems like we've gotten consistently close the last few weeks, making it through the first level of tacklers almost every time. I'm just waiting for one to be returned (that doesn't happen on a trick fake FG pooch punt when O-linemen are trying to run down Tramon).

This game is so evenly matched, with so many fun battles, it's going to be incredible. Best of luck, although I hope your team loses of course. :lol: Here's to a healthy game and seeing each other again in the NFCC.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brett Favre... 0-8 At Dallas Stadium. (the one with the hole in the roof, so God has somewhere to flush"

We could talk about 4th and 26 if you'd like to talk about collapses.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that other than the special teams, our teams are exactly the same. Our kicker has more length, and I don't know squat about your d-line. My guess is that line for line (d-line, linebackers and secondary) that our defense is a fraction better than Dallas', but we'll find out on Thursday.

The_Butler_did_it

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bayou and BoysFan178...welcome. I really respect your posts. They are thoughtfull and respectfull. Living in Georgetown (between Austin and Dallas) I wear my Packer Jersey every game day and have had a few run in's with fans that were much less. I look forward to a great game that should only enhance the rematch for the NFC title. These teams are so close that breaks and momentum may well determine who wins. Hats off to a great season so far and pray for no serious injuries for either team.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Nah..........I'd rather talk about "Tickle Me Romo". :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

packattack92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

That play had nothing to do with Favre. I believe that particular played did deal with Mr. **** Romo himself.

Members online

Latest posts