1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gas Prices

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by all about da packers, Jun 2, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is a little late, but I am wondering WTF is going on with gas prices?

I mean first there was a fire in one refinery. Then there was an electrical power outage at another refinery. What really irked me is that the estimated time of getting everything back on track was 3 friggin weeks. FOR A DAMN POWER OUTAGE?

There was a recent report issued in the Toronto Star (local paper) that stated Canadians pay (on average) $0.15 per gallon than their Southern neighbors.

Seeing some of the prices, I have to wonder WTF is going on. I mean I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm scratching my head at why on earth things seem to be going wrong lately, causing increased fuel prices. It happens at moments JUST before the weekend, and it's usually a long estimated time of getting everything running again.

Am I wrong for thinking there might be some conspiracy (or even price fixing) going on?

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    I think there is cuz I heard that the same time last year, we had less crude oil around but yet prices were much lower..So what has changed??

I also know that there was a bill going to be passed not to long ago, or in the near future giving harsher jail times to people found gouging prices..

In my area just other day it was over 3.50/ gallon for just reg unleaded...That is just crazy, I dont really believe it has to be THAT HIGH...

3. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard from some politicians that prices are that high because oil companies need that money to run...

Then I read a report that oil companies had profits in excess of 700 million last quarter.... :wtf:

4. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's all Ted Thompson's fault.

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    don't complain about your gas prices ours are a rip off.

6. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is why.

Although there is some school of thought on higher gas prices forcing better fuel mileage vehicles....On the other hand, check out Big Oil company profits!

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Here is the TRUTH.
    Why are we paying so much?
    Because the FOREIGN countries that supply it can charge whatever they want! There's NO "shortage". But hey, why should they produce more, bring the price down to decent levels? Whats in it for them?
    If they can charge $70 for a barrel of oil, instead of $20, they don't have to work as hard and they make LOTS more MONEY!
    There is NO incentive for them to lower prices. And what can we do to stop it? Nothing!
    Why? Because the "ecologists" here won't let us go and get our OWN oil from Alaska or off the coast of Florida. It might endanger some "spotted Owls" or something. We have our OWN oil, but it just sits there.
    And other coutries have their own rigs set up off of Florida, and they are getting the oil we COULD be getting for ourselves.
    So........the next time you have to fill up your vehicle, and it's costs you $40, thank a "tree hugger" for allowing your pockets to be picked by foreign countries.
    JMO of course.

8. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It is the law of supply and demand. You use the stuff, prices go up.

I can understand that there are times that people must drive, but just drive when you have to. Ride a bike instead, like I do.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's supply and demand if there is a shortage......a REAL shortage, not some drummed up garbage as excuses why we are getting raked over the coals. Think about it.....people would buy even MORE gas if prices came down. Now, if oil wasn't a MONOPOLY, supply and demand would work. But they have ALL the oil, and can charge what they want, because what other choice do we have? Thats right.....none! They have us.....(pardon the pun)..over a barrell!

10. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As callous as this sounds, don't like the gas prices? Use less gas.

When I look around, I see half the cars on the road are SUVs or trucks, and I'm living in the freaking suburbs. Most of these folks don't need them, and they complain they have no money. I wonder why.

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said. As a hard-core capitalist, simply use less gas. I'd rather use the money I save to buy more investments.

Wife and I carpool to work. We both found jobs close to the house. I never really check the gas prices, because I simply put in $10 when it gets low. We use BART whenever we want to go into San Francisco. Or we con some friend to drive us around.

And considering you take a bike, I bet you have a great body. No, I'm not hitting on you, I'm just saying you're probably in much better shape than the average American. And you'll save money in health care costs later on in life.

12. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    ^^^^crock of ****. ;)

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Do you really think what I said was a crock Arrow?

14. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    sorry for the late response cheese man. you know i meant that light-heartedly..thats why i put the wink there. ;)

i just thought it was a bit naive to blame "tree huggers" for high gas prices. it seems like you're ignoring all the collusion and and foul sh!t that goes on in that greedy industry..

15. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly cheesey, just harp on arrow's avatar, and question his sexuality.

You'll get even then.

Or just start calling him arrow-"I have a small"-gargantuan.

But yeah, don't try making fun of his friend Ephren, that kinda backfired on me last time.

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well....it IS a fact that the environmentalists are the ones that put the stop on us getting our own oil out of oil rich Alaska.
    Now....if you read all of my post.....i said the current situation price wise was because of the greedy industry that is a monopoly. It's not like we can get our oil elsewhere.
    But if you trace it farther back beyond the oil companies, you arrive at the environmentalists (tree huggers) that have kept us from supplying our OWN oil, which WOULD keep the Arab nations from gouging us. Now, I'm NOT saying we should say the hell with our environment and just destroy it. The oil CAN be recovered without destroying everything in it's path.
    With the "tree huggers" there is no balance. Like in California, they had to stop housing projects because a thought "rare" spotted owl lived there. Now.....there are hundreds of species of owls around, but some how a spotted owl takes precedent over humans. I have read where people that owned land in Wisconsin that they bought years ago as an investment, tried to sell the land to a developer. But some rare plant was found on the land, and the land could not be developed. So the owner couldn't sell it, as no one could build on it. Is that fair? Is that right? I myself do not think so. We live in a time where people are jumping through hoops to save owls and plants, but think it's fine to destroy a human life before it's born because it's not convienient for the mother at the time to have the kid.
    So these of course are my views. I'm sure there are many that won't agree with me..........or if they do agree with me, won't say so for fear of being blasted.

17. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Because spineless politicians...you know, the same loudmouths who scream over our dependency on foreign oil...will not let us tap our own or build new refineries. These same assholes make us produce a bunch of short-run "boutique blends" that make matters worse every summer.

God, I hate these assholes!!

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats because they are afraid of upsetting the Politically Correct crowd. They won't get their votes come next election if they DARE to go to Alaska to get OUR oil.
    It all revolves around getting votes. If they piss off the PC crowd, they won't carry states like California.
    It's a shame that it comes down to this, but it does. Kids are taught in school how BAD we humans are on the environment, so they are brainwashed from little on up to think along those lines. And if there is no one to tell them the OTHER side of the story, they will believe that what they are taught is the truth. Same thing with evolution. They think that because a teacher tells them it's real, it HAS to be the truth. They usually don't hear both sides of the argument.

19. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    from my understanding it's never about upsetting somebody..its always about money, whether it be from lobbyists or campaign backers...it's always gonna come back to money.

on a side note if a rare plant was on my land and i couldn't sell it because of it..that plant wouldn't be there the next week lol. same with the owls! lol

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It IS about money! And if someone gets elected, there's the money.

I would pull the plants out by the roots! Of course then you would have Al Gore knocking on your door with his camera crew, stating :"You pulled up the rarest of weeds! It's the ONLY weed that could have stopped global warming!" :rotflmao:

21. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Even the government has the "watchdogs" after them..

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/7826812.html

WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) -- An environmental group and the U-S Forest Service have reached agreement to scale back a timber sale in northern Wisconsin.

It's in order to protect nearly 1500 acres of forest that provide habitat for red-shouldered hawks.

The settlement comes after the Habitat Education Center in Madison challenged the timber sale in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest in Langlade and Oconto counties.

The center's attorney Kathrine Dixon said today the settlement allows logging on about 4500 acres but keeps key habitat for the birds from being disturbed.

The latest development involves five timber sales the Forest Service proposed in 2005 involving nearly 34,000 acres.

Dixon says there's still a dispute between the two groups on logging sales for about 20,000 acres.

A spokeswoman for the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest says the settlement is expected to be formally signed this week, allowing the agency to solicit bids for the logging.

22. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There hasn't been a new refinery built in this country in 26 years.
    Demand for gasoline keeps increasing and refinery capacity due to aging infrastructure and more maintenance is actually decreasing.
    The supply can't keep up with the demand, therefore higher prices.

The environmentalists are bringing this country to it's knees.

Whether it's building a power plant, a mine, a refinery or simply harvesting timber, companies have to jump through so many environmental hoops that it takes 20 plus years from a propsal to actually getting all the permits.

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    GREAT points Yoop! And the cost to these companies is so overwhelming, guess who these costs get passed down to? Yup.....you and me.

24. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    THANK YOU for the post Pack93z! This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff i'm talking about! Now......just so people understand.....I'm not for clear cutting all our forests. But selective logging is beneficial to almost all animals living in the woods. If you ever drive through an old growth forests, it LOOKS like it would be good for deer and other animals to live in. But the truth is very few animals can survive in old growth forests. If you look into one of these forests, what you will notice is that it's very dark in there, even on a bright sunny day. And you can see pretty far, as there are not many small plants growing on the forest floor. And there is where the problem lies. The canopy of leaves blocks sunlight that is necessary for new plant growth, which is of course what deer, rabbits, and other browsing animals live on. If the plants arn't there come winter, the animals will starve. So if you selectivly log some of it, it allows new plant growth, which gives food AND cover from the predators.

25. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually glad we have some environmental laws. As someone who's a child from a LEGAL immigrant from a third world country, I've seen what countries with no environmental laws look like. They're pretty ***** disgusting. I also was a foreign exchange student in another third world country.

If you leave this country, you'll be glad we have the laws we have. America rules. We have clean air, clean water, clean rivers, clean streets, clean cities, etc. The rest of the world is pretty sick when it comes to their environment. I'd rather keep it that way.

As for old growth forests, some of them should be left alone. These animals have lived in them for thousands of years. Are they stupid? Don't you think they could figure out how to survive on their own?

And what about predators? Do you have something against predators? I actually like predators. They kill the sick and the weak. Best thing you can do for an animal species is have predators kill off some of them.