Gary 3.0

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like everyone agrees that Van Jefferson is good and would fit well in Green Bay. It's just a matter of who you would/wouldn't take over him.

For instance, I would take Edwards or Pittman over Jefferson pretty easily. But not everyone agrees with that.

Pittman will be a high second round draft pick, and he's a guy I hope the Packers go after if they don't move up for Mims at WR. Edwards I wouldn't mind but I would certainly prefer Van Jefferson because he's got better hands and route running. Yes, age matters for route running and so Edwards might improve, but that's a variable you don't really have to deal with in Van Jefferson.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pittman should be a high second round draft pick, and he's a guy I hope the Packers go after if they don't move up for Mims at WR. Edwards I wouldn't mind but I would certainly prefer Van Jefferson because he's got better hands and route running. Yes, age matters for route running and so Edwards might improve, but that's a variable you don't really have to deal with in Van Jefferson.

Find my suggested correction above.

In any normal WR class, Pittman would be a top 50 player. In this class, with its depth, he could go later. Of course, he could still go early, but someone will go later as a result.

In the last ten years, the highest number of WR's to go before pick #62 is 11.

The reason I personally think Edwards is a better prospect is because while Jefferson is a great route runner, Edwards is still a good one while being a bull of a player for defenders to deal with. He's stronger after the catch and more of a vertical threat because of his physicality at the catch point.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5. Jonathan Garvin - Edge - Miami - 6'4 263:
He fits into what Pettine seems to like for an edge. Garvin should be better than what he is, just needs some development and tough coaching. Worth a shot. I've watched him for his whole career, and I thought he could've been a round 1/2 talent. As a freshman he toasted Mike McGlinchey a couple times, so clearly the talent is there.
Love the insight here, Gary. I think it's players like Garvin (who I don't see or miss) who down the line in a year or two that become solid players.

The_Caribou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi there, I like your pick of Jaylon Johnson at 30, I've taken him there in a few mocks myself, although, I accept I personally am higher on him than most.

I liked his pick-6 off Jacob Eason where he said after the game that he knew Washington's formation from tape so he could jump the route. Appreciate points made that there are CBs with bigger frames but if he had a larger frame and his current skillset he wouldn't be there at 30.

His frame would concern me if he had a history of gettng torched regularly and not contesting catches but that isn't the case, although of course there will be a step up (and size up) in the NFL The highest passer rating vs Okudah last 2 years is 52.9, highest passer rating vs Johnson last 3 years is 57.9.

R2: Aiyuk, that would be a great take there.

Again nice late-rounder in DeeJay Dallas, I like positional diversity and he played WR, DB and QB in high school. Playing those roles have given him good hands as well and he is a broken tackle machine. Sure, he has a lot to learn about the position but when you factor in that he hasn't played the position that long that is only to be expected and may mean those who don't factor that in will miss out. Give him a year learning the game then let him loose and we've got another "where the hell did he come from" guy at RB.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts