Game 17 -- here kitty kitty. Season ender vs hapless Lions [pregame and post game thread]

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Noon away game. I'm sure most of the discussion will be around which starters to sit. Does Arod have time for his surgery if he doesn't play? Then a week off to go home and get Covid. Seems to be par for bye weeks late this season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling a lot of our starters will sit this one out. All we have to do is get out of town without any more injuries.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Rodgers and Adams plan on playing at least part of the game. That surprises me but hopefully hopefully it is only for a few drives

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Meaningless game really for the Packers. A win or a loss changes absolutely nothing. This should be view as a Preseason game and if they are going to play starters, get them out ASAP. Only thing I heard on postgame show was that Adams is X yards short of a Packer record, so he may really want to play.

I actually think this is a better game for guys like Love to get in there, gets some meaningful reps and show the Packers what they have. The whole Practice squad should be inserted and see if we have any sleepers.

Almost 3 weeks before the Packers next meaningful game....use that time wisely.

Edit: Just looked it up. Adams established a new career high of 1,498 receiving yards on Sunday, putting him just 21 behind Jordy Nelson's 7-year-old franchise record.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meaningless game really for the Packers. A win or a loss changes absolutely nothing. This should be view as a Preseason game and if they are going to play starters, get them out ASAP. Only thing I heard on postgame show was that Adams is X yards short of a Packer record, so he may really want to play.

I actually think this is a better game for guys like Love to get in there, gets some meaningful reps and show the Packers what they have. The whole Practice squad should be inserted and see if we have any sleepers.

Almost 3 weeks before the Packers next meaningful game....use that time wisely.

Edit: Just looked it up. Adams established a new career high of 1,498 receiving yards on Sunday, putting him just 21 behind Jordy Nelson's 7-year-old franchise record.
Adams plays, gets his 21+ yards on a TD reception on the first drive and then sits. That's the way I'm writing it.

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams plays, gets his 21+ yards on a TD reception on the first drive and then sits. That's the way I'm writing it.
For what its worth Jordy did it in a 16 game season, this is a 17 game season. Doesn't feel right that people are just disregarding this. (btw the title of the thread is wrong, next week is week 18, not 17).

& yeah i know, davantae sat out a game for covid this year, but still, if this was a 16 game season, the book would be closed and the numbers would stand.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For what its worth Jordy did it in a 16 game season, this is a 17 game season. Doesn't feel right that people are just disregarding this. (btw the title of the thread is wrong, next week is week 18, not 17).

& yeah i know, davantae sat out a game for covid this year, but still, if this was a 16 game season, the book would be closed and the numbers would stand.
I guess close the record books then and start over, 17 game seasons are here and I think the NFL will eventually try to add even more games.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always believed the record books should represent facts. As an example, running backs. A guy who gained 1,000 yards back in the era of 12 games a year has done a lot better than the guy who does it in 16 games, or 17 games. As an example, to get 1,000 in the old days, you needed to average over 83 yards a game. With today's 17 game season, only 59. It applies with everything, across the board.

I remember when a QB would get 2,800 yards passing and it was great! Now, they get 4,000, and it's "okay," not great. The problem is, based on length of season, those are nearly identical stats!

In baseball, I know of two home run records, nothing more. Babe Ruth, 60 in 154 games, and 61 by Roger Maris, but he didn't hit his 59th until the 155th game of the season. Therefore, Ruth's record remains intact. As for those hit during the juiced ball, bat, and player era they don't mean squat. Those guys were freaks through drugs.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I've always believed the record books should represent facts. As an example, running backs. A guy who gained 1,000 yards back in the era of 12 games a year has done a lot better than the guy who does it in 16 games, or 17 games. As an example, to get 1,000 in the old days, you needed to average over 83 yards a game. With today's 17 game season, only 59. It applies with everything, across the board.

I remember when a QB would get 2,800 yards passing and it was great! Now, they get 4,000, and it's "okay," not great. The problem is, based on length of season, those are nearly identical stats!

In baseball, I know of two home run records, nothing more. Babe Ruth, 60 in 154 games, and 61 by Roger Maris, but he didn't hit his 59th until the 155th game of the season. Therefore, Ruth's record remains intact. As for those hit during the juiced ball, bat, and player era they don't mean squat. Those guys were freaks through drugs.

Most rushing yards averaged per game in a season looks different than most yards in a season.

Simpson had 2003 yards in 1973 but if you extrapolate out for 16 games it's 2,290 yards.

Most Yards Averaged in a Season:

O.J Simpson : 1973 , 143.1 YPG (14 Games) 2,003
Jim Brown : 1963, 133.1 (14 Games)
Walter Payton : 1977, 132.3 (14 Games)
Eric ****erson : 1984, 131.6 (16 Games)
Adrian Peterson : 2012, 131.1 (16 Games)

Rushing Yards in a season (All are 16 Games)
Eric ****erson : 2,105 (1984)
Adrian Peterson : 2,097 (2012)
Jamal Lewis : 2,066 (2003)
Barry Sanders : 2,053 (1997)
Derrick Henry : 2,027 (2020)

Attachments

• 1641305348388.png
    1641305348388.png
    25 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most rushing yards averaged per game in a season looks different than most yards in a season.

Simpson had 2003 yards in 1973 but if you extrapolate out for 16 games it's 2,290 yards.

Most Yards Averaged in a Season:

O.J Simpson : 1973 , 143.1 YPG (14 Games) 2,003
Jim Brown : 1963, 133.1 (14 Games)
Walter Payton : 1977, 132.3 (14 Games)
Eric ****erson : 1984, 131.6 (16 Games)
Adrian Peterson : 2012, 131.1 (16 Games)

Rushing Yards in a season (All are 16 Games)
Eric ****erson : 2,105 (1984)
Adrian Peterson : 2,097 (2012)
Jamal Lewis : 2,066 (2003)
Barry Sanders : 2,053 (1997)
Derrick Henry : 2,027 (2020)
Exactly my point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think those people that are really interested in records, dig deep enough into how they were set, as well as the rules/conditions of the sport at that time that they were set. Basically, the context of the record has to be considered.

For example, I always wondered if Tom Dempsey's record FG of 63 yards (previous record was 56 at the time) was "fair" to sit in the record books. Dempsey was born with a deformed right foot and wore a kicking shoe that looked like the business end of Thor's hammer. That shoe had to increase the distance a ball could be kicked. His record went unbroken for 43 years until Matt Prater finally kicked a 64 yarder...in the thin air of Denver. Side note, Dempsey just passed last year at the age of 73, due to Covid.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a while, but this is roughly what the shoe I used looked like.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Prior to getting that, during my freshman year, I had a plate that I'd put over the toe of the shoe, and was held to my foot with elastic. The problem was, that was so inaccurate. It would move when I hit the ball, and drive the ball left or right, or even sometimes turn it into a curve ball to the left, or right, depending on how square I kicked the ball.

With the plate, I was about 40%, EPs. With the shoe, I went up to over 75% EP, and about 50% on FG, inside 35 yards. Not exactly a glowing record. Part of it was on me, part on the holders, and the long snappers.

Reaction score

I just wish they’d reset the regular season to 16 games. This 17 game thing is odd. It also totally messes up player and team comparisons.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just wish they’d reset the regular season to 16 games. This 17 game thing is odd. It also totally messes up player and team comparisons
I think there is talk about eventually going to an 18 game season. I would be fine with that, as long as they leave the new IR and Practice squad rules in place.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For example, I always wondered if Tom Dempsey's record FG of 63 yards (previous record was 56 at the time) was "fair" to sit in the record books. Dempsey was born with a deformed right foot and wore a kicking shoe that looked like the business end of Thor's hammer. That shoe had to increase the distance a ball could be kicked. His record went unbroken for 43 years until Matt Prater finally kicked a 64 yarder...in the thin air of Denver. Side note, Dempsey just passed last year at the age of 73, due to Covid.
To be fair, many players have deformed brains that look like the business end of Thor's hammer.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the entire preseason disappearing to be honest. There would be no way to identify talent, nor prepare for the season. It could end up shorter, and maybe cut to two games, but not totally disappear. That's just my opinion. Who knows? It could totally disappear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts