Gado or not to Gado

ILOVETHEPACK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not understand why all of the fans where all but puting Gado on a pedestal and now that he is hurt we are (at least most of the fans)writing him off? lets draft this guy lets draft that guy lets see what the guy can do once the oposition has to key in on someone besided the running back like the receivers or ends and he has a field open and not the front line slammed shut. I think he is raw talent that needs to be developed and coached, with Bennett the best mudder in football as his teacher I think tha position is going to be OK, I think we need to go out and draft Hawk for our D. If we can pick up a back later in the draft do so but do not wasit a #5 on one.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OUr offensive line sucked. He ran for over one hundred yards twice IN THE FIRST HALF. Occasionally he got some good blocks, but he is a talented YOUNG man, who is coachable. The strides he made from week to week to week were amazing. Yeah he got hurt(who didnt) but next year we'll have Rbs to work with

POssibly Ahman
Possibly tony fisher
Gado
Najeh maybe
Walt williams who people like for some reason

tony,ahman,and najeh are in contract years, but im sure we'll get one of em back(hopefully for cheap)

add to that we will possibly draft a RB or pick someone up in FA..

we're good

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gado will be really good as well, but we need more depth. I think we will draft a RB, possibly on the 1st day of the draft and most likely in the 3rd round. If this year has taught us anything, it's that you can't have too much depth, especially at the running back position. I think TT will bring back Green too, so Gado and Green can split carries.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should either draft a RB in the first day and keep gado. Or keep gado and try to bring back Davenport. Davenport is better than green imo. He started 2 games and really well in both. Davenport can shine. And I hope he is the RB. Green is good, but he has been on the decline the last two years and when he wasn't injured...he wasn't good at all.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:
I think we should either draft a RB in the first day and keep gado. Or keep gado and try to bring back Davenport. Davenport is better than green imo. He started 2 games and really well in both. Davenport can shine. And I hope he is the RB. Green is good, but he has been on the decline the last two years and when he wasn't injured...he wasn't good at all.

Davenport is injured to much...Green's issue was his thigh muscle..It was the reason his knee was acting up and then he got tendinitis in it...The surgery he had was performed on 3 other guys, Steve Warren, Brian Adams, Santana Dotson...and they all had no issues at all...

I say sign Green for the one year deal he said he was willing to do, see how he does, then lock him in for another 2 years or so...He is roughly same age as Shaun Alexander.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he wants a Tomlinson type contract though. I can already see it, "TT is dumb for not re-signing Ahman!" because he wont spend an outlandish amount of money on a 30 yr old fumbling RB

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
he wants a Tomlinson type contract though. I can already see it, "TT is dumb for not re-signing Ahman!" because he wont spend an outlandish amount of money on a 30 yr old fumbling RB

If Ahman seriously goes after that "Tomlinson type contract" he won't be signed by anyone. I think that would send a message to him that maybe he isn't worth that much. I wouldn't rule him out quite yet.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I dont think anyone will sign him to an LT contract. But this is how I feel it will play out

-He will ask GB for outrageous contract(that he feels he deserves), wont get it, and moves on

- now he asks for a little bet less...no takers
-now a little bit less....still none

-now a respectable amount...he gets a deal with the Titans...or some team

GB has the misfortune of being the 1st team to say "hahaahahahahah. no." I like ahman, got his jersey, but i think this is breakup time. I just hope its clean.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding a LT contract!! He is a playmaker and he earns that money and i think Green is not going to see a season like 03 again. If he was a couple years younger and didn't have fumbling problems he could get that money but not now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I hope he wakes up and backs off his requests like that. Id love for him to stay there, and maybe groom Gado

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz said:

He said that in Aug, I highly doubt he can even think that now...I know he did say in that interview on cable that he would do a one year deal just to prove himself..

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Green not getting all the Green $$$$. But is Gado all that? He only played a portion of the season. Big difference vs playing the whole year. He also laid the rok down a lot in my opinion.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado: Got MUCH better every week and displayed excellent burst and open-field speed. As well, showed excellent toughness and drive...pushing and dragging defenders for tough yardage. Plus, he has that nifty little spin move he employed with great success on several occasions. He should be given the opportunity to compete for the starting position. At the very least, he is our #2 guy next year.

Green: If the rehab goes well, he is worth a look. Ahman has already indicated an awareness of his situation and expressed that he would play for a one-year contract to prove his worth to the Packers and the league for the next contract. Still has something left to give if healthy and would make a nice rotation with Gado.

Fisher: I like him, very versatile guy, but to me it really comes down to him or a healthy Ahman Green on the roster next year as I believe the Packers will draft a RB in the 3rd - 4th round of the draft. IF Ahman shows enough, Tony Fisher becomes expendable.

Draft: Joseph Addai of LSU in the third (or mid-second if we trade down and get extra picks is awful appealing to me! I would like to see Brian Calhoun in G & G, but I think he might go a little high for us.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you compare the unknown of a draft, versus the known, Gado, you have to go with Gado. How many "can't miss" backs come out of college, and don't have the great career when they hit the pros? LOTS of them. So, Gado proved he can run in the pros in my view. Davenport and Gado in the backfield would be great. TWO punishing runners. And i think Green will remain a Packer. Fisher, well, he's got great hands out of the backfield, but i never have been awed by his accomplishments as a true running back. He's more of a receiver.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we keep Gado, Green and Poopster, we basically have 3 power backs on the roster...some of whom catch the short pass well. The one thing Fisher does really well is wiggling out for the medium (10 - 20 yard) pass...something that all the others have yet to prove consistently if at all.

If we draft a RB in the 3 - 4 range, he would have to posses those passing skills as he will ultimately be viewed as a replacement for Fisher, IMHO. Plus, it sounds like we are going back to a more "pure" form of the WCO, so receiving skills and utility in a back should be at a premium.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado made a believer out of me when he showed some moves and open-field speed and also held onto the ball for those last few games. I think he could be a featured back. The biggest question is durability. He played at a small college and has never taken the kind of beating that a featured NFL back has to endure for 16 games, plus training camp. So Thompson needs to hedge his bets at the RB position. I agree with others here that Ahman Green should be brought back to compete for the starting job and another RB should be drafted, but not in the first round.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'll see GB getting Green to sign a one year deal. After next year, negotiations will be on if he comes back productive. In fact, I think this season will be "rent Ahman Green for a year" and wish him well. Gado could use another season to be groomed while looking at the draft and/or FA to push him. Time always tells....

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado proved to me to be the best we had with that line. He was the only one who made positive yardage behind a marginal line. Imagine what he could do with last years line. That being said, our RB situation is going to be very shallow going into this new year. I believe that 2 of our 3 RBs' will be gone(GreenFishPoop!) With a #5 pick this year, we need to take the most special person available almost regardless of position. If it's a RB fine. A DE, LB, DB...I don't care. After that pick we need to address our OL, RB's, DL,LB and DB. Almost in that order. But with regard to Gado, his emergance from the obscure will obviously change GB's mindset in the need to draft RB's that maybe are a stretch.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Brian Calhoun would be a perfect fit in the early second round, change of pace back that will not have to take the pounding that Gado / Green could throughout the game. Poor mans Reggie Bush?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Calhoun with the Badgers........but i wonder if he could do anything with the so-so O-line the Packers have. Plus, it seems for the most part, that for whatever reason, the Packers RARELY pick anyone from Wisconsin. They passed up Chris Chambers, and i can't think of the other WR they passed on. And both are doing VERY well.
I think Ron Dayne could have been good, if he would have gone to a team that used him properly. His talent was wasted.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calhoun is over rated by Green Bay fans, and I can understand that becuase he is a Badger. He is not even on Mel's radar in the Kips draft projections. I would like the Packers to pick Mario Williams or Tamba Hali as a 1st pick DE then the Raiders pick whowever out of the two the Pack did not take. Just think what a pass rusher who put's pressure on the QB could do for the Packers young secondary!

Does anyone here know who Green's agent is?

I would love to know and google him. That could tell a great deal.

Thanks,

RP

Members online

Latest posts