Future Free Agents the TT may be interested in

OhioNative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone heard who TT may be interested in as far as free agents. I think if they are pretty activate in the free agent market that might entice Favre to come back....Any thoughts :?:

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You go to the free agent market to improve your team in the present and future, not to entice a QB who just threw 29 interceptions to come back to a team so you won't have to move on.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh! Thats COLD!!!
I think alot of the interceptions were the fault of Favre not really knowing where his guys were gonna be. It was such a revolving door. Yes, some of the throws were bad..........but not 100% were his fault. I still think pushing the best QB the Packers have ever had out the door to "move on" is not such a smart thing. We may NEVER see anyone CLOSE to his talent in our life times again. Favre at 50% is better then 90% of the QB's they have had in the last 35 years. I for one am in no hurry to see that end. I remember the 1970's and 80's too well. Back then, we felt the season was good if we beat the Bears ONCE! You MAY just be asking for a mediocre team for the next 20 years or so.
It will end fast enough.......why beg for it?

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long are the Green Bay Packers and us (the fans) going to defy the inevitable? Brett Favre has not been the same since Mike Holmgren left. He has been up and down, good year, bad year, decent year. Brett Favre is and always will be my favorite NFL player, however, what more do you think Brett Favre can do for this team in virtually one year (I surely don't expect him to return 2 seasons.) I mean the guy was/is a great talent, but I think its time I, along with all other Packer fans come to the realization that Brett Favre is not the same player who led us to back-to-back Super Bowls. We will always cherish what he did for us in his tenure, but it's not going to get much better from last year if he returns.

So, do I want us to "push him out the door"? No I don't but I don't think we need to shape this team around a player who doesn't want the ball with two minutes left.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I would like to see Brett make a 2-3 year committment. There aren't many, if any QB's in the league that would have done any better than Brett with the players we had on offense after the injuries last year. Look what the a "great" Peyton Manning did with pressure from the Steelers in the playoffs, and he had everbody healthy. We sure as hell don't have anybody that would be close to Brett. Get real. Brett hasn't slipped anywhere near as much as his supporting cast, mostly because of injury and free agency.

The other part of the equation is the coach. I hope MM will work with him and coach him hard. Kripes, the first two years MS was here Brett came back to the bench after a series and nobody even talked to him, MS never did talk to him even later. He got Bevell as QB coach - WOW.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Brett Favre and correct personnel adjustments the Packers could be legitimate title contenders in 2-3 years.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett may not be what he was in his prime but if we get the personnel around him and pick up a running game he still has enough gas to carry the team to a lot of "W"s.
People want to be critical of the INT's but I saw a couple of stupid INT's in the Super Bowl and felt Brett would have played circles around either one of those guys with the talent they had around them.

Ray_66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
With Brett Favre and correct personnel adjustments the Packers could be legitimate title contenders in 2-3 years.

I think by 2007 if all the cards fell in place w/ Brett the noris in 2006

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
You go to the free agent market to improve your team in the present and future, not to entice a QB who just threw 29 interceptions to come back to a team so you won't have to move on.

That's right, and if the QB comes back because of it you are just that much better.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray_66 said:
smlutz said:

I think by 2007 if all the cards fell in place w/ Brett the noris in 2006

I agree, that's why I would really like to see Brett make a 2-3 year committment. We are in a unique position, with all the injuries last year it lead to a dismal record. However, now we will get some premier draft choices we would not have had with a mediocre record. So if we draft well, sign the key free agents(ours and others), and our players come back healthy we will be a totally different team.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
smlutz said:
How long are the Green Bay Packers and us (the fans) going to defy the inevitable? Brett Favre has not been the same since Mike Holmgren left.

You mean during the Ray Rhodes/Mike Sherman "reign of error".....Yeah..like John Elway won all those years in Denver before he had Shanahan and a decent team around him...YOu people crack me up....I can't wait til' you push Favre out the door and see what the definition of SUCK really is...believe me..it's not far off for the Packers if Favre doesn't back...

And who's better shlitz..? Aaron Rodgers..?? Kitna??

BWWAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH...

Fans of other teams laugh at Packer fans who want to get rid of Favre and think they're crazy because they don't have anything close on their teams...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
smlutz said:
So, do I want us to "push him out the door"? No I don't but I don't think we need to shape this team around a player who doesn't want the ball with two minutes left.

He didn't say he didn't want it in the final two minutes, he said he didn't know if he wanted it in the final two minutes. C'MON be optimistic here lol :)

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

He didn't say he didn't want it in the final two minutes, he said he didn't know if he wanted it in the final two minutes. C'MON be optimistic here lol :)

A quarterback needs to be confident. You need to know FOR SURE you want the ball with the game on the line, or get the hell out.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone really think Rodgers is ready for the ball in the last two minutes?? I'm sure they're a lot of guys who think they want it in the last two minutes, but most of them don't or can't do anything w/ it when they get in that situation.

To the FA question, I don't think TT is interested in any legitimate FA (name recognition) based on what he's done over the past year. I think he feels GB has too many holes to fill...that's it not worth investing in the FA market. He's probably right?? However, as long as I had a player of Favre's ability, I'd try to do everything possible to give him all the weapons he needs and hope for the best.

Cdnpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is not ready but one of the reasons why is Sherman, Please explain to me why did Rodgers not get more of a chace to play when a team is suffering through a 4-12 season. Given that of course Rodgers is not ready and may not be for a couple of years, so for everyone sakes I hope Favre returns but there needs to be some discipline that hopefully Clements can instill. I am optimistic that Favre will come back and that Clements will bring something to the table I remember watching him play for Ottawa and though I was going for the Argos he really impressed me with his control of the game something that has been lacking in Packerland since Holmgren left.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It takes maybe 2-3 YEARS for a rookie QB to develop...

(and don't say "Big Ben" because he flopped in the playoffs last year and the SB this year-he's just lucky to have amazing talent around him...)

so a couple of snaps last year wouldn't really have helped Rodgers....

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

A quarterback needs to be confident. You need to know FOR SURE you want the ball with the game on the line, or get the hell out.

excuse me??? brett favre, not confident??? that's a joke, right??? :roll:
:wink: :lol:

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
smlutz said:
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

He didn't seem too confident in the ESPN interview.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
smlutz said:
4packgirl said:
smlutz said:
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

He didn't seem too confident in the ESPN interview.

He was being honest as to how he felt. It was also said that during this time of the year that most players 'feel' that way but don't have the guts to say it and I believe the article even said thats the good thing about Brett but in this case it was a bad thing to be said.

If he comes back I wouldn't worry about his confidence. If his confidence is shaken and he doesnt have his heart in it 100% he won't come back. that's from what he said.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnpackerfan said:
Rodgers is not ready but one of the reasons why is Sherman, Please explain to me why did Rodgers not get more of a chace to play when a team is suffering through a 4-12 season. Given that of course Rodgers is not ready and may not be for a couple of years, so for everyone sakes I hope Favre returns but there needs to be some discipline that hopefully Clements can instill. I am optimistic that Favre will come back and that Clements will bring something to the table I remember watching him play for Ottawa and though I was going for the Argos he really impressed me with his control of the game something that has been lacking in Packerland since Holmgren left.

There are several reasons why Rodgers didn't play as much at the end of the year.

First off, it was the Packers' job to win the game every week and Favre gave us the best chance to win. He's the leader of this team and obvious starter. The next reason is that the Packers had great opportunities to win several games at the end. You don't change to a rookie QB at the end of the game when it's close.

It seems logical to give up on the season when you're out of the playoffs. Why not lose the rest of your games for better draft picks? Why not play the young guys more to give them more experience?

The problem is that losing is contagious, just like winning. These guys are professionals with a competitive nature. Giving up on a season or a game leads to that losing attitude. This why teams at the bottom tend to stay there. Year in and out these teams get the best draft picks and play those young players. Year in and out those same teams stay at the bottom of the league. It's not easy to break out of a contagious losing attitude, so it's better to never get there in the first place.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby,
I agree. I think after losing a few close games to average or poor teams and guys getting hurt it just went down from there.

We lost 10 games by an average of like 5.1 points and five by 3 or less.
THAT"S WHY RODGERS DIDN'T PLAY. What were they supposed to do? Put him in when we needed a TD or field goal to tie or win? That would have been brilliant.

Our core players aren't used to losing and I don't expect them to accept it next year.

Our "O" line was anything but stellar. I doubt putting AR in there would have served a purpose. We might have been able to see how fast he is but that's about it.

Members online

Latest posts