Fullbacks

Reaction score
How'd you rate our FB performance this year?

Do you think Big Willi can still get it done, or perhaps Brandon Miree is the future, or we need to go another route all together (any ideas who?) ?

Personally, I'd give the fullbacks a B- . Miree has shown flashes of of being a good FB, but is too inconsistent and has injury issues dating back to his time with Denver. I believe a portion of the running problems can be attributed to the FBs, and there is a need to upgrade.

William has started to display what was inevitable, his age. He had struggled early in the year with the ZB scheme, but came on late. Yet he still lacks what made him a great FB only a 3 years or so ago. His performance has slipped, but his leadership, professionalism, and attitude more than make him earn his keep.

I think when it is all said and done, Miree is not the heir apparent. I think we go look for a FB in the draft (or pick up an undrafted rookie FA and make him the FB). I actually think Vonta should be given another shot in the offseason, despite his terrible hands when we last saw him play.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
How'd you rate our FB performance this year?

Do you think Big Willi can still get it done, or perhaps Brandon Miree is the future, or we need to go another route all together (any ideas who?) ?

Personally, I'd give the fullbacks a B- . Miree has shown flashes of of being a good FB, but is too inconsistent and has injury issues dating back to his time with Denver. I believe a portion of the running problems can be attributed to the FBs, and there is a need to upgrade.

William has started to display what was inevitable, his age. He had struggled early in the year with the ZB scheme, but came on late. Yet he still lacks what made him a great FB only a 3 years or so ago. His performance has slipped, but his leadership, professionalism, and attitude more than make him earn his keep.

I think when it is all said and done, Miree is not the heir apparent. I think we go look for a FB in the draft (or pick up an undrafted rookie FA and make him the FB). I actually think Vonta should be given another shot in the offseason, despite his terrible hands when we last saw him play.

Henderson was top notch up until this year. He definitely deserved more than one Pro Bowl recognition. He's no longer a threat out of the backfield for screens as he was before. I have fond memories of him jumping over defenders. Unfortunately, he's not what he used to be.

He still makes his blocks, but that's not enough for what this offense requires.

I wasn't impressed with Miree, and you're right, Leech's hands leave something to be desired. We might want to invest a draft pick in a FB that can both block and catch.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FB doesnt seem like something he'd spend a draft pick on. He seems the type to just bring people in, and test em out, like they did with rayner and ryan.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think you can look at our FB performance in isolation, it has to be viewed in the context of the O line. Both Miree and Henderson have played well in patches. They havent been a factor of late and perhaps its not suprising that this coincides with the loss of Tausch and struggles across the line.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see us pick up Brian Leonard from Rutgers late in the draft. He's a big guy who can catch the ball outta the backfield and carry the rock in short yardage situations.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's much question that Henderson will be done at the end of this season. He did fine in spot duty and starting a few games, but he's not worth a roster spot anymore.

It was hard to get a read on Miree because he was in and out of the lineup at odd times. He did show a few flashes of talent. He should compete with somebody new for the starting job next year.

This team has so many needs that I don't think a fullback should be taken in the draft unless Thompson gets extra picks again and is willing to use a pick from the last few rounds. When Denver has had their most success on offense, I can't even remember who their fullbacks were. This offense doesn't seem to require a big-time fullback, just a guy who can play in that quick-hitting style that the zone-blocking scheme requires.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have fond memories of him jumping over defenders. Unfortunately, he's not what he used to be.

He still makes his blocks, but that's not enough for what this offense requires.

I wasn't impressed with Miree, and you're right, Leech's hands leave something to be desired. We might want to invest a draft pick in a FB that can both block and catch.

Tiger beat me to it..

But I was going to say TT should draft Brian Leonard from Rutgers if you want to see a guy hurdle defenders....

He's a tailback in a FB's body, has soft hands, and is a good runner in the open field as well....

Go Pack..
Go RU....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I have fond memories of him jumping over defenders. Unfortunately, he's not what he used to be.

Tiger beat me to it..

But I was going to say TT should draft Brian Leonard from Rutgers if you want to see a guy hurdle defenders....

He's a tailback in a FB's body, has soft hands, and is a good runner in the open field as well....

Go Pack..
Go RU....

Okay, I don't know college football so I'll take your word for it.

That's what we need - a tailback in a FB's body with soft hands and a good runner in the open field. How's his blocking?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty good..

That's the thing..it depends on if you just need a battering ram or a FB who has some other skills...

excuse me...."skillz"...

(for you younger folk here...)

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think leonard from rutgers if more of an h-back. i saw him play in person against usf and he didnt blow me out of the water

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. I actually think Vonta should be given another shot in the offseason, despite his terrible hands when we last saw him play.

I'm pretty sure I saw Vonta had 3 receptions for the Texans today, so I'm not sure he'll be available.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
. I actually think Vonta should be given another shot in the offseason, despite his terrible hands when we last saw him play.

I'm pretty sure I saw Vonta had 3 receptions for the Texans today, so I'm not sure he'll be available.

yes, including a TD if I'm not mistaken.

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see us pick up Brian Leonard from Rutgers late in the draft. He's a big guy who can catch the ball outta the backfield and carry the rock in short yardage situations.

Brian Leonard is a great player. But we would be investing a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, we wont be getting him late, his stock is going up high and should be taken on the 1st day w/o a doubt.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Eagles are very high on drafting this guy early, he was a team mate of LJ Smith at Rutgers and is relatively local.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe the Eagles are very high on drafting this guy early, he was a team mate of LJ Smith at Rutgers and is relatively local.

So does that mean the Pack can't draft him?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is available in the 2nd I say take him he looks like he could even be a halfback, needs more speed for a halfback but fast for a fullback and can hurdle like nonother

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All About summed this up pretty well. I doubt Henderson is back next year, and the jury still seems to be out on Miree. I really don't see Miree being the receiver that's needed in the WC offense. I would like to see this position upgraded, but I doubt TT goes big in FA or the draft for this positon. Miree is probably as good as it gets unless TT finds another off someone else's scrap heap.

gbpackers0065

Cheesehead
Reaction score

being from NJ i see a lot of leonard i agree totally could be huge in the NFL a 2nd round pick would get him

Members online

Latest posts