Fullback

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft for the Green Bay Packers is over, they drafted some good player. William Henderson is gone and the packers never drafted a fullback, so who is going to play fullback. Some options I though of were:

1. Free Agency
2. Switch DeShawn Wynn over

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miree took the job from Henderson last year before he dislocated his elbow. I'm guessing it's his to lose.

OP
OP
cyoung

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even before his injury Miree never really impressed me that much...dislocated shoulder is kind of a bad injury

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I think we came out of this draft with as many question marks as we went into it with, FB being one of them.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The linebacker from Boise State Korey Hall is gonna play Fullback.

so now competition for the FB spot will include

Miree
Hall
Wynn

we seem fine at FB... Miree stole it from Henderson last year so apparently hes decent.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The linebacker from Boise State Korey Hall is gonna play Fullback.

so now competition for the FB spot will include

Miree
Hall
Wynn

we seem fine at FB... Miree stole it from Henderson last year so apparently hes decent.

Boy, thats one hell of a group of proven FB's.

Might as well be

John Doe
John Doe
John Doe

Unreal, we have bodies there, good enough

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fullback isn't that important of a position for us. They don't mind using extra tight ends instead.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason we use FB more last season was we had only 1-2 decent receivers healthy in most games. I think you will see a lot more 3-WR, RB, TE sets this season.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless someone steps up at FB, we've got nothin... hopefully someone steps up.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ok...Miree, who took over the job of FB because William Henderson was not as good in terms of blocking...is a nothing.

I'm thinking he'll be adequate, just like last year.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People that look at names and make decisions on their play. are irrelavany anyway.

its not about the name its about the production.

Miree beat out hendo last year. hes good enough to do that, then why cant he be a starter. hendo was our starter for 11 years or something, yet when he gets beat out, the new guy doesnt have a name you see on ESPN (who are always right by the way) you dont think he can be the guy.

whats in a name.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People that look at names and make decisions on their play. are irrelavany anyway.

Miree beat out hendo last year. hes good enough to do that, then why cant he be a starter. hendo was our starter for 11 years or something, yet when he gets beat out, the new guy doesnt have a name you see on ESPN (who are always right by the way) you dont think he can be the guy.

whats in a name.

Are you kidding me? I don't look at names, I look at production. Miree was sub-par at best. Whats really stupid is saying FB isn't important. That shows your level of knowledge regarding football.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? I don't look at names, I look at production. Miree was sub-par at best. Whats really stupid is saying FB isn't important. That shows your level of knowledge regarding football.
Well, Miree beat out our starter from last season before he got hurt. So, if he's healthy, I have a hard time believing we will be worse.

As to value, which of the following starting spots is FB more important than: OT, OG, C, QB, RB, WR, TE?

I would say "none" which would seem to infer that FB isn't a vital spot on offense. Heck, I would put 3rd WR and 2nd RB at a higher value than FB as well. We're not killing our chances of having a good offense by going into camp with Miree as our starting FB.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, the Packers signed one of the top rated FBs in this years draft....his name eludes me at this time. Dropped because of a positive for mary jane, but is considered by many to be a guy that can come in and hold down the spot. Hard hitting lead blocker with some running ability.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Well, Miree beat out our starter from last season before he got hurt. So, if he's healthy, I have a hard time believing we will be worse.

As to value, which of the following starting spots is FB more important than: OT, OG, C, QB, RB, WR, TE?

I would say "none" which would seem to infer that FB isn't a vital spot on offense. Heck, I would put 3rd WR and 2nd RB at a higher value than FB as well. We're not killing our chances of having a good offense by going into camp with Miree as our starting FB.

Thats wrong sorry. Ask SD how important a FB is. Ask LT himself. I don't want to hear about the ZB scheme either because we use a lead zone scheme.

The FB is just as important as any other spot on the field.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

whats in a name.

So when Miree stepped in and beat out Henderson he was su-par? Based on what? You saying so?
I really won't put a lot of stock in this since I have no idea if you have a clue regarding the FB production of the GB Packers.

Besides, your going to say "nope, no good " about 9 out of 10 times regardless what the topic is. I recall never having seen someone so hell bent to put a negative spin on EVERYTHING like you.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arles said:
pyledriver80 said:

Thats wrong sorry. Ask SD how important a FB is. Ask LT himself. I don't want to hear about the ZB scheme either because we use a lead zone scheme.

Hmm, I seem to think the QB, LT, starting WR and RB spots are much more important than FB. The difference between Lorenzo Neal (elite FB) and Miree (ave FB) is marginal in terms of total offense. What would you say the difference is between Peyton Manning and J.P. Losman? How about between LT and Ahman Green?

GB will be fine at FB with Miree and the other bodies they bring in. There's a reason true blocking FBs don't go higher than the 5th round in most drafts.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Packnic said:

whats in a name.

So when Miree stepped in and beat out Henderson he was su-par? Based on what? You saying so?
I really won't put a lot of stock in this since I have no idea if you have a clue regarding the FB production of the GB Packers.

Besides, your going to say "nope, no good " about 9 out of 10 times regardless what the topic is. I recall never having seen someone so hell bent to put a negative spin on EVERYTHING like you.

Are you kidding me? I mean for real. I have no clue what a FB does?

The problem is it's alot of YOU that live in the world of Madden 2007 and haven't got the slightest of clues when it comes to X's and O's. Do yourself a favor and don't go there

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Arles said:
pyledriver80 said:

Hmm, I seem to think the QB, LT, starting WR and RB spots are much more important than FB. The difference between Lorenzo Neal (elite FB) and Miree (ave FB) is marginal in terms of total offense. What would you say the difference is between Peyton Manning and J.P. Losman? How about between LT and Ahman Green?

GB will be fine at FB with Miree and the other bodies they bring in. There's a reason true blocking FBs don't go higher than the 5th round in most drafts.

If you say so. I am not going to try to explain basic football to you

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These posts provides us tremendous insight on how you came about evaluating our FB's performance.

Thank You for the influx of expertice and knowlede it was very uplifting.

Now if you REALLY know anything whatsover about the FB position as it relates to the Packers and WHY Miree failed so miserably it would be nice to hear some specifics.

Reaction score

Arles, I think you are a good poster (after reading your draft day stuff), but I disagree with you on this.

Miree has been injured in each of his seasons in the NFL.

He can be above average, tops IMO. That's fine, we don't need the best FB in the world, but we do need Miree to be on the field to develop into an above average FB.

If he goes down this year (his history says he will at some point), then we'll be in some trouble. I just don't think you can discount the importance of a FB to our team given that our O-line is so young and still learning.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fullback is very important to us, however the prototypical ZBS FB is not the usual NFL FB. Henderson was a usual NFL FB therefore he didn't fit.

Our FB has to work like a RB, he has got to make reads and adjustment the RB usually would do. There are not many FBs of this kind around in the NFL, therefore I'm not surprised to see the Packers trying to groom their own FB from either Wynn or Hall.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a guy with decent size, some quickness, hands and the ability to block. Right now, I see three potential guys for this spot - Miree, Wynn and Korey Hall. Now, if we want more insurance (which wouldn't be a bad idea), we can look for someone in FA as well as from the undrafted pool.

If Miree progresses and looks 100%, I think he will do fine for camp (with the idea that one of Wynn or Hall may push him). If there is any concern for his well-being/ability, then we should look for another FA to bring in. Either way, I think we will be fine by camp.

However, if we go into camp with only a gimpy Miree and the late rounders haven't shown anything, I will be first on the charge to add a vet to the mix. For now, it's not something that's going to worry me.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 Miree, who beat henderson
2 Wynn
3 Korey Hall
4 Free Agency isnt over yet, no matter what some morons on this site say (see: Worst Offseason Ever thread)

It'll work itself out.

Latest posts