Full Back Justin Griffith Visiting Green Bay Today (March 6)

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=574258

Atlanta free-agent fullback Justin Griffith arrived in Green Bay on Tuesday night and is expected to take part in an official visit today. The 5-foot-11, 232-pound Griffith, 25, is an experienced fullback in the zone-blocking system, having started 26 games the last two seasons for the Falcons, one of the teams the Packers have copied for their running game.

Besides blocking, Griffith is a decent receiver, averaging about 22 receptions during his four seasons in the NFL.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Full Back Justin Griffith Visiting Green Bay Today

all about da packers said:
rumor going around that Ted might be willing to make this guy the highest paid fb..

I don't think that one is quite accurate.

TT is one who isn't willing to overpay. I'd be down right shocked if it happened though (not the signing, but rather Griffith becoming highest paid FB).

Being the highest-paid fullback may be something like being the world's tallest midget. I mean, none of them make a huge amount of money by NFL standards, as far as I know. And with all the money that's being doled out this year, and Thompson having paid $10 million to Charles Woodson for the 2006 season alone, I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson makes Griffith the league's highest-paid fullback. I like that he's only 25 years old.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope this deal gets done. I think Griffith has the ability to lock down our FB position for years to come. That's assuming we stay with the zone blocking scheme for years to come. The fact that he’s a good receiver out of the backfield is a bonus to his blocking ability and experience in the zone blocking scheme.

I'd be very dissapointed if Griffith signed somewhere else.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Full Back Justin Griffith Visiting Green Bay Today (Marc

I think he would be a GREAT addition!
Hopefully they can come to terms.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I think that noone has mentioned: the "best" fullback in the league (currently Lorenzo Neal in SD) usually are viewed as such after a few years of being underrated. Also, if you look around, they usually only gain that title at about age 29-30. I think the key to eventually having a top 5 FB is locking him up when he's young, and letting him grow into that role.

After all that, I'd be fine putting him away for the next 4-6 yrs as the highest paid FB in the league. :thumbsup:

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=121991

Looks like he left town.

"While Packers general manager Ted Thompson was delayed at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport, trying to get home Wednesday evening to Green Bay, free agent fullback Justin Griffith - a soon-to-be former Atlanta Falcon - was on his way to Austin Straubel Airport in Green Bay after wrapping up his visit to Lambeau Field."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wait a minute.

So TT wasn't even present when Griffith visited?

He's done this before, why is it shocking. Oh yeah, thats what we do here now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why can you be sarcastic and I can't?

Must you take the fun out of everything. :(

I just try and get my comments in before you delete\edit them

Reaction score
lol.

Just to clear things up, MM would be more valuable than TT when FA come to visit.

Also, I believe Brandt would handle the contract discussions.

Therefore it isn't necessary to have TT present at the visit.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griffith remains in picture

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

By Wednesday night it wasn't clear whether the Green Bay Packers' first player visit of the free-agent season was near yielding a contract with fullback Justin Griffith.

The Packers are considering signing Griffith, who is entering his fifth NFL season, to compete with holdover Brandon Miree for the starting fullback job in their zone-blocking run game. The 232-pound Griffith played in the same system the last three years at Atlanta but became expendable when the Falcons changed head coaches this offseason and switched to a more power-oriented run game that requires a bigger fullback.

Griffith also has visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The sides were believed to be engaged in negotiations Wednesday, though there was no indication how serious the talks were as the day went on. Griffith's agent, Mike McCartney, wasn't available for comment, and Packers General Manager Ted Thompson wouldn't comment on the visit or how far along talks were.

Also, an NFL source said the Packers appear to have a genuine interest in free-agent safety Deon Grant of Jacksonville and are considering bringing him in for a visit within the next week.

Grant (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) is an eighth-year pro who turns 28 on March 14. He missed his rookie year of 2000 in Carolina because of a hip injury and has started every game since — 48 straight for the Panthers and then the next 48 for Jacksonville. He has a career total of 18 interceptions and would be a candidate to replace Marquand Manuel as a starting safety.

Also in free agency, the Packers' interest in former Saints receiver Joe Horn ended after Horn agreed to a contract with the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday. The Packers were considering bringing Horn in for a visit and trying to sign the 35-year-old, who played for Packers coach Mike McCarthy when both were with the Saints from 2000 to 2004. Details of his deal with Atlanta were unavailable.

In the meantime, the Packers officially cut ties with fullback William Henderson.

The Packers recently told the 36-year-old Henderson they were not bringing him back after 12 seasons with the team and released him Wednesday.

Henderson has spent his entire career with the Packers and was part of former General Manager Ron Wolf's strong 1995 draft class that included landing three starters on the 1996 Super Bowl team in the third round alone: Henderson, receiver Antonio Freeman and linebacker Brian Williams.

Henderson missed only four games in his 12 seasons with the Packers and started 112 times. He was primarily a blocking back and never had more than 14 carries in a season but caught 320 passes for 2,409 yards. Through his last season with the Packers he continued to play a regular role on special teams as well.

"(Henderson) has meant the world to us," Thompson said. "He was part of an outstanding third-round draft class (in 1995). He's come in and been a professional in every sense, a mature, developed human being, far surpassing most anybody I've seen in the National Football League, and has continued to grow in that role. He's remarkable. It's a very difficult decision for us to make. We decided that we need to go in a little different direction and take another step there, and he'd like to continue to play."

Henderson told Thompson he'd like to keep playing in the right situation.

The Packers also re-signed linebacker Tracy White. White, a backup linebacker, was a special-teams core player last season and led the Packers' special teams with 17 tackles.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully we don't let him slip away. but i am not surprised that he didn't sign with us right away. ted isn't one of the gm's who's gonna offer such a huge contract that the player can't possibly turn it down.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

from packerchatters.com

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=1812

The Packers are working on a deal with FB Justin Griffith and it looks like he will be a Packer by Monday morning. I was told Griffith REALLY liked the facilities and thinks he can help the Packers do some good things.

Reaction score
Good catch bozz.

I think the only people that may have inside soruces are Patty and Randolph Heidler. There stuff seems plausible at the very least.

As for Arrigo, I don't mind him, but some of his stuff is just logically flawed. He reported that the Packers have considered trading their first for the Patriots two first round picks.

Slight problem there is that the Pats 2 picks would be worth around 1300 points, while the Packers pick is worth 1,000 points.

If this was to be brought up to Arrigo, he'd say well he never was implying it would just be the Packers first round pick. :roll:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:
yesterday he was 'going to' be a packer by "no later than friday".

its friday for a few more hours lol

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is "going to be a Packer by Monday", why is he in Oakland today?

So -- His agent's name is Mike McCartney and his coach here would be Mike McCarthy. If he signs, should we send him a bunch of M&Ms????

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Team talking with Griffith
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:41:48 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers are believed to be in contract negotiations with unrestricted free-agent FB Justin Griffith (Falcons). The negotiations do not seem urgent.

Uncle Ted sure does like to torture us doesn't he? If this signing goes through, it will be one less whole to fill.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Griffith just sign with the Raiders along with a bunch of other people (Rhodes, etc.)???

Members online

Latest posts