Fußball-Bundesliga

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Yeah, we Americans tend to think that everyone needs our money. Bayern can do quite well financially without an American brand. But can the MLS be very successful without European support? But again, I think Pep is human like everyone else and he should have greeted the other coach after the game. He didn't. He made a mistake. There are channels to discuss how "friendlies" will be played and snubbing the other coach really isn't the way to do it.

There is also the problem of the MLS All Star game mentality. This was an exhibition game for Bayern right after an important world cup and right before the beginning of a season. For the MLS, this game was the middle of the season and they wanted to show off MLS talent. They felt they had "something to prove" while Bayern was using this as a warm up for mostly new guys and second teamers and a chance to help boost American interest in soccer. Pep's actions didn't help boost that interest except through negative press and increased American isolationistic nationalism.

And yet those are only some of the issues. Bayern was favored to win the game (Vegas odds had Bayern by a 1.5 goal favorite). Yes, MLS is in the middle of the season and Bayern is just starting theirs. But almost all of the Bayern players just competed in the World Cup, their fitness should not have been an issue. Pep said, and I quote, "Bayerns B squad could beat 98% of the teams out there". Well I guess the MLS All-Stars is part of that 2% then.

This wasn't a game for respect of American football, because that will never come. Had Bayern won and dominated the game, then the comments would be, "See, American soccer sucks". Yet, if the MLS team won (which they did), then the comments are, "Who cares, Bayern didn't even field their A team". "This was just an exhibition, so they weren't trying to hard". All of that amounts to nothing but excuses, and never respect.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And yet those are only some of the issues. Bayern was favored to win the game (Vegas odds had Bayern by a 1.5 goal favorite). Yes, MLS is in the middle of the season and Bayern is just starting theirs. But almost all of the Bayern players just competed in the World Cup, their fitness should not have been an issue. Pep said, and I quote, "Bayerns B squad could beat 98% of the teams out there". Well I guess the MLS All-Stars is part of that 2% then.

This wasn't a game for respect of American football, because that will never come. Had Bayern won and dominated the game, then the comments would be, "See, American soccer sucks". Yet, if the MLS team won (which they did), then the comments are, "Who cares, Bayern didn't even field their A team". "This was just an exhibition, so they weren't trying to hard". All of that amounts to nothing but excuses, and never respect.

I wouldn't say excuses. Do the NFL players want to play all out in the NFL All Star game and risk getting hurt? A friendly, in the same fashion, is to have a game with reduced risk of injury. It's sort of like an NFL Scrimmage. Heck the Philly Union vs. Harrisburg is a friendly and there will be some "laying off on the physical stuff because these guys don't want to risk hurting their players for a game that has no seasonal value. An All Star game has no seasonal value. It is an exhibition.

The announcers and even some of the players were saying the US had something to prove with this game. wasn't it Landon Donovan who said something like; anytime you beat Bayern is something special?

Would you say that Bayern started their starting squad in this game? If so, where was Ribery, Muller, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Dante, Robben, and Boateng, Badstuber, and Neuer. Granted some of them did come in with 8 minutes left on the clock. Pep is correct in saying that Bayern's actual "B" squad could beat most of the teams out there. However, I wonder if Starke, Gaudino, Bernat, Rode, Green and Hjobjerg are even going to be on the "B" squad. We know Green will be for the start of the season, but will it last? Put Bayern's actual "B" squad up against Sporting KC, or Portland, or Seattle and I wonder what the result would be? This friendly saw one club against 2 all star teams in one game. There was a complete switch to another team after the half. So to me it seems it wasn't to be intended as a serious match.

Respect for U.S. soccer would be more forthcoming if U.S. soccer clubs played against European Soccer clubs in a competitive cup like the Champions League. Let's take the 4 top teams of the MLS and let them play in a Champions league setting. I don't think an all star game can accomplish the like. And I don't see any sort of competition forthcoming that would make such matches, which is unfortunate.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Ooooooooooh, wie schade.....:sneaky::p (means...Im soooooo sorry...) But seriously....as long they dont concede another goal everything is fine :tup:

Edit: F***, 3-1 Tripolis....:mad:

I think you are secretly smiling there my friend....lol

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I never liked them anyway.....:roflmao:

I guess we`ll have to win the league now ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I wouldn't say excuses. Do the NFL players want to play all out in the NFL All Star game and risk getting hurt? A friendly, in the same fashion, is to have a game with reduced risk of injury. It's sort of like an NFL Scrimmage. Heck the Philly Union vs. Harrisburg is a friendly and there will be some "laying off on the physical stuff because these guys don't want to risk hurting their players for a game that has no seasonal value. An All Star game has no seasonal value. It is an exhibition.

The announcers and even some of the players were saying the US had something to prove with this game. wasn't it Landon Donovan who said something like; anytime you beat Bayern is something special?

Would you say that Bayern started their starting squad in this game? If so, where was Ribery, Muller, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Dante, Robben, and Boateng, Badstuber, and Neuer. Granted some of them did come in with 8 minutes left on the clock. Pep is correct in saying that Bayern's actual "B" squad could beat most of the teams out there. However, I wonder if Starke, Gaudino, Bernat, Rode, Green and Hjobjerg are even going to be on the "B" squad. We know Green will be for the start of the season, but will it last? Put Bayern's actual "B" squad up against Sporting KC, or Portland, or Seattle and I wonder what the result would be? This friendly saw one club against 2 all star teams in one game. There was a complete switch to another team after the half. So to me it seems it wasn't to be intended as a serious match.

Respect for U.S. soccer would be more forthcoming if U.S. soccer clubs played against European Soccer clubs in a competitive cup like the Champions League. Let's take the 4 top teams of the MLS and let them play in a Champions league setting. I don't think an all star game can accomplish the like. And I don't see any sort of competition forthcoming that would make such matches, which is unfortunate.

I don't see this as an All-Star game. I saw this as a pre-season match for Bayern, bringing together a European club and MLS. This was not a vacation for Bayern, yet that is exactly how Pep viewed it. NFL Preseason games are hard hitting because players are trying to make the team. This is how I viewed this game. Bayern should've been playing to be ready for their season opener. That means playing hard.

Javi Martinez started - A Team starter
Robert Lewandowski started - A Team starter
David Alaba started - A team starter
Rafinha started - A Team starter
Shaqiri started - A Team starter

That's almost half of the A Team starting the game.

Pizzaro is a B Team player who started
Manuel Neuer came in in the 62' minute
Most of the other A Team starters came in the 80th minute.

Champions League is hosted by UEFA, that means MLS clubs cannot compete in THAT Champions League since they don't reside in Europe. CONCACAF has a CONCACAF Champions League which is where the MLS clubs compete.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Strange how a pre season game can generate so much fuss, Chelsea lost their last game but i dont care, results are of no meaning right now. Its more about getting prep for the upcoming season than anything else. For me its not fair to compare MLS teams with Champions League ones, i respect the MLS If a team of the elite Europeans mid season played the MLS all Stars it would be interesting to see what the result would be. :)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Strange how a pre season game can generate so much fuss, Chelsea lost their last game but i dont care, results are of no meaning right now. Its more about getting prep for the upcoming season than anything else. For me its not fair to compare MLS teams with Champions League ones, i respect the MLS If a team of the elite Europeans mid season played the MLS all Stars it would be interesting to see what the result would be. :)

I absolutely agree. But I think its quite fair for an MLS fan to have a little bit of bragging rights if they beat a European team. Guarantee ya when a MLS team loses to a European team (friendly exhibitions), we hear it about how bad we are. It's only we fair we get some praise to if an MLS team wins.

Otherwise, the Euro teams should just stay home and do their own pre-season stuff, but that doesn't make it any fun.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I absolutely agree. But I think its quite fair for an MLS fan to have a little bit of bragging rights if they beat a European team. Guarantee ya when a MLS team loses to a European team (friendly exhibitions), we hear it about how bad we are. It's only we fair we get some praise to if an MLS team wins.

Otherwise, the Euro teams should just stay home and do their own pre-season stuff, but that doesn't make it any fun.

Ahh fair enuff if it's just bragging rights for friendlys we will give you that if you like, but the US teams should return the favour too a bit and play over here I'm sure they would have fun aswell.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Ahh fair enuff if it's just bragging rights for friendlys we will give you that if you like, but the US teams should return the favour too a bit and play over here I'm sure they would have fun aswell.

I've been wondering why that hasn't happened. I know for sure if I was an MLS player, I'd die to go play in Europe... except of course Italy. Fück Pizza. :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, I hope Bayern skips the overseas "friendlies"next year. I don't want to see good guys hurt for the purpose of preseason games. It's the same discussion the NFL has every year regarding the usefulness of the preseason. But the NFL has to pear down rosters who have largely been brought up from college. Whereas for a team like Bayern, preseason games aren't really tryouts for the first squad. That squad is so well established and deep that there isn't a need for "tryouts" at this time. Some of those guys were pretty worn out by the end of the World Cup. They shouldn't have been expected to make an appearance in a game yet, but it was expected of them and so Pep only gave them a cameo appearance in the game.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I've been wondering why that hasn't happened. I know for sure if I was an MLS player, I'd die to go play in Europe... except of course Italy. Fück Pizza. :D

The last one I can remember was the US national team who played Scotland, England etc on a pre WC tour other than that hardly anything. Oh and Alexi Lalas who was a better singer than a player but a bit of a cult figure when he played for a small Italian team after the 94" WC and Landon Donovan but he's a very good player. Their are others off course but not so many.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't see this as an All-Star game. I saw this as a pre-season match for Bayern, bringing together a European club and MLS. This was not a vacation for Bayern, yet that is exactly how Pep viewed it. NFL Preseason games are hard hitting because players are trying to make the team. This is how I viewed this game. Bayern should've been playing to be ready for their season opener. That means playing hard.

Javi Martinez started - A Team starter
Robert Lewandowski started - A Team starter
David Alaba started - A team starter
Rafinha started - A Team starter
Shaqiri started - A Team starter

That's almost half of the A Team starting the game.

Pizzaro is a B Team player who started
Manuel Neuer came in in the 62' minute
Most of the other A Team starters came in the 80th minute.

Champions League is hosted by UEFA, that means MLS clubs cannot compete in THAT Champions League since they don't reside in Europe. CONCACAF has a CONCACAF Champions League which is where the MLS clubs compete.

Rafinha an Shaqiri are both B, not A team. Lewandoski is new and needs time to adjust to the players and system. The Bayern A team would probably be;

Neuer
Dante
Badstuber
Boateng
Lahm
Martinez
Schweinsteiger
Muller
Robben
Ribery
Lewandowski

But allow me to ameliorate your indignation at MLS being the Rodney Dangerfield of World Football. The MLS players looked good the other night and for the most part put on a good exhibition.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Dortmund started less starters and won 2:0.
I wouldnt overvalue todays result, Bundesbiers. At the end it was nothing but a friendly.
I assume that most Dortmund players had more training time because many Bayern players just returned a week ago.
Btw- looks like Martinez has a torn ACL, his season might be over ?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Didn't look like FCB was trying too hard. I gotta admit, I loved the Spiderman mask.:tup: The loss of Martinez would be a hard one, but this is a deep roster. It's not the same team without Ribery, Robben, and Schweini. It's interesting to watch that 17 year old kid out there playing against BVB. He was probably soiling his britches after realizing he was going to be playing against those guys. LOL! I'm not impressed with Hjobjerg, or Bernat, or Rode. I think with time Gaudino will be a good player. He is still super young though. Neither Shaqiri or Alaba made a good case for being anything other than the B team. Although, there is talk that Pep might put Alaba at midfield. And from the above lineups I count 5 starters for Bayern and 5 for Dortmund.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's reported pretty certain Javi will be out for an extended time with an ACL injury. Looks like Pep might dip into the transfer market one more time. I wonder who they will go after? Hummels?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts