Fußball-Bundesliga

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the Shurrle's old team Nessie? if so theyre not all bad. ;)
Yepp, thats where Schurrle had his first appearances in the 1. Bundesliga. And he played for their youth teams. Like Freiburg, Mainz 05 has a philosophy and a concept since years and thats why they are still first class though they dont have much money !

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
FSV Mainz 05 team came through the airport today. I talked to a few of the players including the Chilean defender Gonzalo Jara for about 10 minutes or so, he was a really nice guy.
I guess I`ve found a new German team to support now....lol

That's cool. We don't have any Mainz'er fans here. Someone has to like them. :laugh:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Yepp, thats where Schurrle had his first appearances in the 1. Bundesliga. And he played for their youth teams. Like Freiburg, Mainz 05 has a philosophy and a concept since years and thats why they are still first class though they dont have much money !

I really like to see Freiburg do well. I'm not big with Mainz (too much red :p) but they have good fans.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Watching Hamburg play Borrusia M'Gladbach in the Telekom cup.

Hamburg wearing the Black and Orange. Looks not natural for Hamburg. And what's with Fly Emirates??? Does Emirates even fly to Hamburg?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Hamburg play Borrusia M'Gladbach in the Telekom cup.

Hamburg wearing the Black and Orange. Looks not natural for Hamburg. And what's with Fly Emirates??? Does Emirates even fly to Hamburg?
Yes, there are daily flights from Hamburg to Dubai and vice versa. There was even a flight with Emirates from Hamburg to NYC but they gave up this flight route.
I flew with Emirates very often when travelling SEA.
The new shirts are c**p but delighted about the 3-1 win over Gladbach though preseason games arent worth anything.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Yes, there are daily flights from Hamburg to Dubai and vice versa. There was even a flight with Emirates from Hamburg to NYC but they gave up this flight route.
I flew with Emirates very often when travelling SEA.
The new shirts are c**p but delighted about the 3-1 win over Gladbach though preseason games arent worth anything.

Wow, I didn't know the Emirates flew to Hamburg. How big is the Hamburg airport. Is it bigger than either Frankfurt, Munich or Berlin?

You have a tough first test to start the season. :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know the Emirates flew to Hamburg. How big is the Hamburg airport. Is it bigger than either Frankfurt, Munich or Berlin?

You have a tough first test to start the season. :D
Hamburg is only the 5th largest airport in Germany Bundesbiers, Frankfurt and then Munich are No 1 and 2.
Dubai and New York are examples of the very few direct international connections we have. In most cases you have to change planes, thats why I usually fly BA via LHR.
Yeah, I dont feel comfortable with playing Kölle away at the beginning of the season; I'd be fine with a draw.
I'm still thinking about getting me tickets for this game....

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont feel comfortable with playing Kölle away at the beginning of the season; I'd be fine with a draw. I'm still thinking about getting me tickets for this game....

Never too early for a little good natured ribbing. :D:p:D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Now Marco Reus is not renewing his contract at Dortmund and would like to leave early. I've said it before, but I think there must be something wrong at that club because all these guys are bailing.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Unfortunately Sandolf's Kickers lost at Wiesbaden.

Greetings Fußball Freunde!

Thanks for your thoughts during my absence nessie. The Kickers losing to Wiesbaden is nothing new. They seem to be an opponent that gets the better of us most always.

The 3. Liga is hard to predict. Last year was typical. Darmstadt should really have been in the Regionalliga to start with. Team Plastik just marched through. Heidenheim has been good for several seasons. So I would say the formula for this year should be the same.

One solid 3. Liga team is promoted... (or plays in the playoff).
One heavy investor is promoted... (this could be one of the 2. Bundesliga relegated teams).
One surprise team out of absolutely nowhere is promoted... (my hopes for the Kickers).

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Hamburg is only the 5th largest airport in Germany Bundesbiers, Frankfurt and then Munich are No 1 and 2.

The Munich airport would be my least favorite. Seems like you are walking miles within that place. It is laid out in two long parallel strips. Glassy and shiny... (farkin`cold in the winter), and terribly unimaginative. Trust the Freistaat Bayern to build a high speed train link out to that pig.

The other side of that coin is Berlin Tegel. It is built in a circle, so it is possible to get out of there in 15 minutes... (much like Köln-Bonn my former home airport). These are like Hamburg. Not much in terms of connecting infrastructure. Even Düsseldorf is bigger. But I guess the fire there forced on some modifications.

The annexation of the Soviet Zone caused some delays in upgrading infrastructure in the West. I remember a project to build a "proper" airport for Berlin. But that was fraught with difficulty. It should probably be done by now. Imagine the real estate value of Tempelhof or Tegel! Before I moved back to Canada I saw a bit of the Lehrter Bahnhof project. They were digging a tunnel to connect it to the Alexander Platz. Linking east to west is likely still going on.

The new Leipzig airport is not bad. In the meantime I would imagine that not much has changed in Hamburg. :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Munich airport would be my least favorite. Seems like you are walking miles within that place. It is laid out in two long parallel strips. Glassy and shiny... (farkin`cold in the winter), and terribly unimaginative. Trust the Freistaat Bayern to build a high speed train link out to that pig.

The other side of that coin is Berlin Tegel. It is built in a circle, so it is possible to get out of there in 15 minutes... (much like Köln-Bonn my former home airport). These are like Hamburg. Not much in terms of connecting infrastructure. Even Düsseldorf is bigger. But I guess the fire there forced on some modifications.

The annexation of the Soviet Zone caused some delays in upgrading infrastructure in the West. I remember a project to build a "proper" airport for Berlin. But that was fraught with difficulty. It should probably be done by now. Imagine the real estate value of Tempelhof or Tegel! Before I moved back to Canada I saw a bit of the Lehrter Bahnhof project. They were digging a tunnel to connect it to the Alexander Platz. Linking east to west is likely still going on.

The new Leipzig airport is not bad. In the meantime I would imagine that not much has changed in Hamburg. :D

I flew into Berlin several months after the bombing of the Twin Towers in NY. The first time in my life I had ever seen an airport swarming with armed soldiers. Frankfurt was a nice stop and switch over one time; not a bad airport. I went through Heathrow on another occasion for a switch over for a flight to Berlin. Heathrow was a nightmare, and the guys who drive those two decker busses must have Kamikaze licenses.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Heathrow was a nightmare, and the guys who drive those two decker buses must have Kamikaze licenses.

There are basically two factions involved here. The professionals... (like your bus driver and the business travelers). And the vacationers... (Urlauber in high German). The main characteristic which distinguishes the two factions is that the former knows where they are going. If in the event the airport is new to them, experience will guide them as to where to seek answers.

Time is of the essence and margins are usually tight. Your bus driver is likely only to have two minutes for a smoke at the end of the line only if he drives like a madman. The professional regards the vacationers mainly as blockers. They have baggage carts piles sky high and are generally slow while the others are as light as possible to be able to run if necessary.

Urlauber typically stop directly after a revolving door, bottom of an escalator or moving walkway wondering if to go left, right, straight ahead or back where they came from.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings Fußball Freunde!

Thanks for your thoughts during my absence nessie. The Kickers losing to Wiesbaden is nothing new. They seem to be an opponent that gets the better of us most always.

The 3. Liga is hard to predict. Last year was typical. Darmstadt should really have been in the Regionalliga to start with. Team Plastik just marched through. Heidenheim has been good for several seasons. So I would say the formula for this year should be the same.

One solid 3. Liga team is promoted... (or plays in the playoff).
One heavy investor is promoted... (this could be one of the 2. Bundesliga relegated teams).
One surprise team out of absolutely nowhere is promoted... (my hopes for the Kickers)

Hmmm....the solid 3. Liga team could be Preußen Münster ! Hopefully the former 2. Bundesliga team that will make it back to 2. Liga is Bielefeld (I like them ! Not only because of the Hamburg-Bielefeld friendship!) and yes, I'd be fine with Kickers returning to one of the German Top leagues. Münster, Bielefeld and Kickers, sounds good, dosnt it ? ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, the Munich airport is a dump, it might be the only airport worldwide that can only be reached by air. "Am Arsch der Heide" as I would say in German what means in the middle of nowhere, even hard to reach by car or train. :rolleyes::D
Hamburg airport is a very modern airport nowadays, pretty new, short ways to the gates, good shops and affordable parking. But Berlin, thats a joke. Tegel was scheduled to be closed last year, did you hear about our Berlin Airport disaster ? If not - here is a summary
http://www.dw.de/berlin-airport-the-five-biggest-mistakes/a-17740584
Sometimes I feel like living in a developing country, its a scandal. :rolleyes:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like living in a developing country, its a scandal. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link nessie. Obviously in assuming the BER was open by now, I did not realize how bad it has become. But the key point is the politicians getting involved.

For a time I had a second residence in Spain... (so let's talk developing country. :D ).

If I wanted to drive there... (as I was still in the Stuttgart area at the time)... I was faced with a few choices. My destination was just to the west of Malaga. Paying the motorway tolls in France and Spain, (plus buying a sticker from the Schweizerlis), seemed less evil than fighting the traffic on the national roads (highways). The problem was there was a stretch between Bilbao and Madrid on the north route... and Murcia and Malaga on the coastal route, where there was no motorway.

To frame the story you have to realize it takes the Germans years to build 10 km of an autobahn. But the surface is concrete. It is graded to perfection... (you hardly have to steer the corners). And steep inclines are removed by monster valley bridges (Talbrücken)... and lots of earth and rock removing. For the start of the Expo in Seville, the Spanish put up those missing motorways in no time flat. They were suddenly there. True to form though, these roads were falling apart only a couple of years later.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the link nessie. Obviously in assuming the BER was open by now, I did not realize how bad it has become. But the key point is the politicians getting involved.

For a time I had a second residence in Spain... (so let's talk developing country. :D ).

If I wanted to drive there... (as I was still in the Stuttgart area at the time)... I was faced with a few choices. My destination was just to the west of Malaga. Paying the motorway tolls in France and Spain, (plus buying a sticker from the Schweizerlis), seemed less evil than fighting the traffic on the national roads (highways). The problem was there was a stretch between Bilbao and Madrid on the north route... and Murcia and Malaga on the coastal route, where there was no motorway.

To frame the story you have to realize it takes the Germans years to build 10 km of an autobahn. But the surface is concrete. It is graded to perfection... (you hardly have to steer the corners). And steep inclines are removed by monster valley bridges (Talbrücken)... and lots of earth and rock removing. For the start of the Expo in Seville, the Spanish put up those missing motorways in no time flat. They were suddenly there. True to form though, these roads were falling apart only a couple of years later.

In Spain probably nobody would complain if it takes a little longer or if things are not 100 %, but Im living in a country that is proud of his engineers and they are not able to build an airport for a German capital ? Its a shame, isnt it? :rolleyes::mad:
But as you said, as long as politicians are involved it wont get any better.
And our roads ? They are done, especially in the western parts of Germany. And instead of repairing them or building new roads we get more and more speed limits.... :rolleyes: :poop:
Rant over.....:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts