Fußball-Bundesliga

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yes, I am a Bavarian guy deep in my heart. But my German friends say I speak fine Berlin dialect. In fact, back around 2001 or 2002, I tried to talk my wife into moving to Germany because of some connections I had in Berlin/Brandenburg. She didn't want to move. But many of my extended family are found in the Nemmersdorf and Lindenhart areas outside of Bayreuth.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I am a Bavarian guy deep in my heart. But my German friends say I speak fine Berlin dialect. In fact, back around 2001 or 2002, I tried to talk my wife into moving to Germany because of some connections I had in Berlin/Brandenburg. She didn't want to move. But many of my extended family are found in the Nemmersdorf and Lindenhart areas outside of Bayreuth.

Oh really ? :D Ick freu mir !
Must be funny to hear a foreign guy speaking a Berlin accent but you dont seem to be nearly as rude as people from Berlin usually are. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
My son lives in a Charleston suburb! He works for Google. He was out in a canoe with his girl one day and an alligator jumped up out of the water near them. She freaked out and made him row them right back to shore.

Understandable....you should be careful when an Alligator is that close though, as I said, they seem to be pretty small compared with Alligators from Africa or Florida.
Anyway, pretty exciting to see them in real and that close like we did. ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Man, it really spoiled my day though it was fun to wear my Packers hat on my flight from Atlanta to Philadelphia because it seemed everybody wore a shirt, hat or whatever of his favourite team.
I've never seen something like this before. Only by seeing all the people wearing fan gear you knew - it must be game day today! :tup::)

Chelsea seems to be back on track and I always love to hear that County is doing well ! :tup:

Now that you are writing about the Scots who settled in the south I remember we drove through a small city that was famous for their Scottish Highland Games.
I dont remember the name at the moment but obviously there are some people with Scottish roots living there.

Its an Alligator, but they seem to be smaller than Gators that live in Florida.
Anyway, somehow strange to see animals in real that I usually only can see at zoos at home...

Christian Gross, Bert van Marwjik or even "Loddar" Matthaus, everything is possible at Hamburg :rolleyes:

Surreal eh? ;)

County finding it a tiny bit tougher this year having sold a few players but a good 2-1 win against the Jam Tarts of Midlothian.

Funny how things like that happen, are you aware of the German village in the Amazon rain forest? its strange but true. :confused::)

Ahh right knew it was something else because of its nose but wasn't sure.

Hiddink would be the best of all if HSV could afford him, unlikely i know. :rolleyes:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found a Mitchell & Ness store, wow, I couldnt resist and bought me a nice "throwback" hoodie.... ;)
I'll post a picture when Im back at the hotel....

Edit: The Packer Hoodie:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

...and it had to be this Mets shirt as well :D

And like Scots, Germans are everywhere all over the world....
Have been to Reading Market Place and took this picture with my mobile phone.
They had all kinds of German Wurst, even Sülze.....disgusting :sick::D

And now its official - Bert van Marwjik will be the new HSV manager, well - lets hope for the best :rolleyes:

http://www.hsv.de/saison/meldungen-...rt-van-marwijk-wird-trainer-des-hamburger-sv/

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surreal eh? ;)

County finding it a tiny bit tougher this year having sold a few players but a good 2-1 win against the Jam Tarts of Midlothian.

Funny how things like that happen, are you aware of the German village in the Amazon rain forest? its strange but true. :confused::)

Ahh right knew it was something else because of its nose but wasn't sure.

Hiddink would be the best of all if HSV could afford him, unlikely i know. :rolleyes:

Wow, Hearts with minus 8 (!) points at the bottom of the table :eek:
- I assume they wont have a chance to stay in the SPL after this season....?!

Never heard of a German village there, I wonder who wants to live in the Amazon rain forest :eek::D

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Wow, Hearts with minus 8 (!) points at the bottom of the table :eek:
- I assume they wont have a chance to stay in the SPL after this season....?!

Never heard of a German village there, I wonder who wants to live in the Amazon rain forest :eek::D

Yeah they were minus 15 due to going into administration, they had to get rid of alot of players and have youngsters in the first team. But you never know i would not put money on them going down just yet. :cautious:

Its a small German enclave there nice to see them sticking with their heritage. :)

BTW i like the hoodie. :tup:

Good to hear its Bert van Marwjik, now way would Christian Gross have worked out well.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just found a Mitchell & Ness store, wow, I couldnt resist and bought me a nice "throwback" hoodie.... ;)
I'll post a picture when Im back at the hotel....

Edit: The Packer Hoodie:

...and it had to be this Mets shirt as well :D

And like Scots, Germans are everywhere all over the world....
Have been to Reading Market Place and took this picture with my mobile phone.
They had all kinds of German Wurst, even Sülze.....disgusting :sick::D

And now its official - Bert van Marwjik will be the new HSV manager, well - lets hope for the best :rolleyes:

http://www.hsv.de/saison/meldungen-...rt-van-marwijk-wird-trainer-des-hamburger-sv/

We have a restaurant near here call the "Hofbrauhaus" and it was built and currently owned by a German couple who came to this area. One of the only places I know where a person can find Brötchen made the right way.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a restaurant near here call the "Hofbrauhaus" and it was built and currently owned by a German couple who came to this area. One of the only places I know where a person can find Brötchen made the right way.
I havent found real good rolls (Brötchen) or bread anywhere in the US, doesnt matter where I travelled.
I dont have any idea why they cant make them the right way here, always soft and as if they were made yesterday or even the day before yesterday. :rolleyes::D
But was surprised to see that they had all kinds of "Wurst" I know from home, I wonder if Americans like this German sausage or if its mostly German Expats who are buying it ?

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I havent found real good rolls (Brötchen) or bread anywhere in the US, doesnt matter where I travelled.
I dont have any idea why they cant make them the right way here, always soft and as if they were made yesterday or even the day before yesterday. :rolleyes::D
But was surprised to see that they had all kinds of "Wurst" I know from home, I wonder if Americans like this German sausage or if its mostly German Expats who are buying it ?

Who mentioned bread and rolls? thats what i help make every day amongst other things. In short supply over there nessie whats Brötchen?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Wurst of varying kinds is well liked especially in areas like ours and not surprising, in Wisconsin. A lot of tailgaters do Bratwurst on game day. However, except for this German couple, I haven't found the really big long Wursts that I found in Germany. And I would love to get my hands on that brown sugar sauce/concoction that the restaurant in Lutherstadt-Wittenberg poured all over those huge stalks of spargel (asparagus). I also noticed that the sauerkraut in Berlin was red and sweeter than the sauerkraut we have here in Lancaster County PA. Oh man, all this talk of food makes me want to get over to Munich for Oktoberfest!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who mentioned bread and rolls? thats what i help make every day amongst other things. In short supply over there nessie whats Brötchen?
Do I get it right, you are working in a bakery or bakery factory? ;)
Yummie..... :)
Well, PackerFan71, as you might know Germans are quite self confident when talking about bread.
We believe there is no other country on this planet that makes better bread than we do :rolleyes::D
And this is how a real "Brötchen" has to look like, fresh and crispy....:p:cool:

While waiting for the flight back to London I dont want to forget to post the pictures of the last two remaining stadiums of my trip that I visited today:
Phillies (Citizens Bank Park)

...and Eagles (Lincoln Financial Field)

Goodbye Philadelphia...... :tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wurst of varying kinds is well liked especially in areas like ours and not surprising, in Wisconsin. A lot of tailgaters do Bratwurst on game day. However, except for this German couple, I haven't found the really big long Wursts that I found in Germany. And I would love to get my hands on that brown sugar sauce/concoction that the restaurant in Lutherstadt-Wittenberg poured all over those huge stalks of spargel (asparagus). I also noticed that the sauerkraut in Berlin was red and sweeter than the sauerkraut we have here in Lancaster County PA. Oh man, all this talk of food makes me want to get over to Munich for Oktoberfest!

Sounds like you had "Thüringer" ? Did they look like this ?
http://www.thueringen.info/thueringer-bratwurst.html

And I guess the "red Sauerkraut" wasnt Sauerkraut, it could have been "Rotkohl" (red cabbage), it has a sweet taste because its cooked with pieces of apples, cloves and nutmeg.
Especially at winter time served with meat like "Sauerbraten" and (potato)dumplings

Back to German football - Hamburg won his game against Furth and are qualified for the next round of the DFB Cup, little surprise that Mainz lost at home against second tier team Cologne.
Tomorrow van Marwjik takes over as the new HSV manager....hopefully he gets the team back on track, I wouldnt like to end up beeing relegated at the end of the season....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Do I get it right, you are working in a bakery or bakery factory? ;)
Yummie..... :)

Well, PackerFan71, as you might know Germans are quite self confident when talking about bread.
We believe there is no other country on this planet that makes better bread than we do :rolleyes::D
And this is how a real "Brötchen" has to look like, fresh and crispy....:p:cool:

While waiting for the flight back to London I dont want to forget to post the pictures of the last two remaining stadiums of my trip that I visited today:
Phillies (Citizens Bank Park)

...and Eagles (Lincoln Financial Field)

Goodbye Philadelphia...... :tup:

Impressive Pics Nessie :tup: was Baltimore not possible on this trip? maybe next time. :)
Yep thats what im doing at the moment, its a small local Bakery im at. Its got better quality Product than the bigger ones i find that churn out alot of generic boring rubbish. Im pretty good at avoiding taking the occasional munch, as tempting as it is sometimes. :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impressive Pics Nessie :tup: was Baltimore not possible on this trip? maybe next time. :)
Yep thats what im doing at the moment, its a small local Bakery im at. Its got better quality Product than the bigger ones i find that churn out alot of generic boring rubbish. Im pretty good at avoiding taking the occasional munch, as tempting as it is sometimes. :D

Yeah, we thought about changing our trip to see Baltimore but it didnt work out because we didnt want to miss the Outer Banks. At least I visited three new Football stadiums, Panthers, Falcons and Eagles. Baltimore remains on my list ;)

Completely agree, I prefer buying at my small local bakery because of the better quality and Im fine to pay a little bit more for their products for their fresh and still handmade products.

Thats wise if you'd like to keep your weight :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sounds like you had "Thüringer" ? Did they look like this ?
http://www.thueringen.info/thueringer-bratwurst.html

And I guess the "red Sauerkraut" wasnt Sauerkraut, it could have been "Rotkohl" (red cabbage), it has a sweet taste because its cooked with pieces of apples, cloves and nutmeg.
Especially at winter time served with meat like "Sauerbraten" and (potato)dumplings

Back to German football - Hamburg won his game against Furth and are qualified for the next round of the DFB Cup, little surprise that Mainz lost at home against second tier team Cologne.
Tomorrow van Marwjik takes over as the new HSV manager....hopefully he gets the team back on track, I wouldnt like to end up beeing relegated at the end of the season....:rolleyes:

Yes! Rotkohl, that was it. In fact the meal looked almost exactly like your picture. And the Thüringer was right too. It was soooo good. Any idea on that brown sugar type sauce I had over the Asparagus in Lutherstadt?

And Hamburg will bounce back, I'm sure of it. They've just hit a little rough patch. There was a lot of last season where one could see that the makings of being a contender.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

When we were young and first married, my wife worked for Hershey Foods in the Reeses Company. She was on the peanut butter cup line and on the Kit Kat bar line. They moved the employees around so they didn't get bored. They were allowed to eat all they wanted while they were at work. Needless to say, you could tell which folks had been on those line for a number of years. They were rather large. LOL. :eek:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
When we were young and first married, my wife worked for Hershey Foods in the Reeses Company. She was on the peanut butter cup line and on the Kit Kat bar line. They moved the employees around so they didn't get bored. They were allowed to eat all they wanted while they were at work. Needless to say, you could tell which folks had been on those line for a number of years. They were rather large. LOL. :eek:

Eating all they want? mmmmm not such a good idea i reckon its the dilemma of working in such places, there is always perfectly good edible product that goes to waste. Its a matter of small amounts for me if any.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, just back at home after 18 hours of travel and too tired to think clearly now but where are my bags, British Airways ? :mad:
Hope they will be delivered tomorrow, PackerFan71 so that I can send some Packers stuff to Scotland. ;)

Croak, Im a little confused because you say that the sauce was brown coloured but Asparagus usually is served with Sauce Hollandaise everywhere in Germany.
But it tastes as described by you....

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, just back at home after 18 hours of travel and too tired to think clearly now but where are my bags, British Airways ? :mad:
Hope they will be delivered tomorrow, PackerFan71 so that I can send some Packers stuff to Scotland. ;)

Croak, Im a little confused because you say that the sauce was brown coloured but Asparagus usually is served with Sauce Hollandaise everywhere in Germany.
But it tastes as described by you....

Home before the luggage is that the way BA does it nessie? good service from them i'm sure.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home before the luggage is that the way BA does it nessie? good service from them i'm sure.
Indeed, BA service as its best :rolleyes:
Roundabout 50 people were waiting for their bags while nearly the same number of bags circulated on the baggage belt and nobody there to pick them up. :eek:
I assume the same happened somewhere else on an airport in Europe or Germany, they simply have loaded the wrong containers I guess.:mad::D
Edit/Update: Bags just arrived at the airport :)

Btw, the official announcement:
http://www.hsv.de/en/season/meldung...2013/bert-van-marwijk-the-new-hsv-head-coach/

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I love Reese peanut butter cups, but I wouldnt like to wear 3XL clothes ! ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Help this rookie footy fan understand things a little better. If Lewandoski signs a contract with Bayern in January, does that mean he will switch teams at that time or he will switch teams after the season is over? Personally, I'm not thrilled about him coming to FCB. I thought he played dirty when Dortmund played against FCB. (Just my opinion.)

And last year FCB got an award for sportsmanship. I kind of like to keep that image. I don't want cancers coming in and messing things up.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Help this rookie footy fan understand things a little better. If Lewandoski signs a contract with Bayern in January, does that mean he will switch teams at that time or he will switch teams after the season is over? Personally, I'm not thrilled about him coming to FCB. I thought he played dirty when Dortmund played against FCB. (Just my opinion.)

And last year FCB got an award for sportsmanship. I kind of like to keep that image. I don't want cancers coming in and messing things up.

Could be he is signing a pre contract agreement in January because BVB want to stretch out his previous deal to the bitter end. And then the FCB deal will go ahead in the summer. Massive own goal by BVB they should have taken the mega bucks and let him go this summer. Ho Hum. :speechless:

Crazy i recently found out that Celtic FC could have had him for about £2M when he was still in Poland, but their then manager didn't think he was worth it. Ooops!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts