Fußball-Bundesliga

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Not to overstep, but do you guys have European Soccer Forums that you post with ? Do you post about European Soccer here to escape the crowds in the other forums ? Just trying to understand really, I would not go to a Baseball Forum to discuss Basketball or Hockey. It would maybe seem strange if I were to join a European Soccer Forum and then discuss NFL Football. Your all perfectly welcome here of course, I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I just think the guys are as passionate about European football as NFL football and have found a place to discuss it peacefully AND the Packers too. The forum does have a section for other sports is all. IF the guys encroached onto Packer related I could understand peoples concern. Just saying is all.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I just think the guys are as passionate about European football as NFL football and have found a place to discuss it peacefully AND the Packers too. The forum does have a section for other sports is all. IF the guys encroached onto Packer related I could understand peoples concern. Just saying is all.

I believe I understand now, you guys have found a quiet place to escape to. Beyond the loud and argumentative European Forums.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Packer fan since the sixties. Met Fuzzy. Met Dave Robinson. Did the Lambeau in the snow routine.

Also like soccer. I coached Jr. High in NY. It's the fastest growing sport in the US. One of my sons was invited to try out for a pro soccer team. So of course I have an interest besides the Packers.More young people under the age of 18 play soccer than any other sport according to ESPN. MLS numbers have been getting better and the American TV Networks, like NBC are starting to broadcast European Soccer. Fox Soccer Channel has been doing it for a while on cable. It's not a retreat from European forums. It's is a shared experience between Packer fans. It may be a retreat from the ad nauseum "Fire Capers" "What's wrong with this team?" type threads though. I've found the guys on this thread to be more amenable to friendly discussion regarding a sport in general. They are mostly good natured and willing to say something rarely heard by American fans "fair play to the other team".

I used to participate in the main Packer forums a lot. But now I mostly lurk on them. Too many guys there want a bad argument.

D

Dan115

Packer fan since the sixties. Met Fuzzy. Met Dave Robinson. Did the Lambeau in the snow routine.

Also like soccer. I coached Jr. High in NY. It's the fastest growing sport in the US. One of my sons was invited to try out for a pro soccer team. So of course I have an interest besides the Packers.More young people under the age of 18 play soccer than any other sport according to ESPN. MLS numbers have been getting better and the American TV Networks, like NBC are starting to broadcast European Soccer. Fox Soccer Channel has been doing it for a while on cable. It's not a retreat from European forums. It's is a shared experience between Packer fans. It may be a retreat from the ad nauseum "Fire Capers" "What's wrong with this team?" type threads though. I've found the guys on this thread to be more amenable to friendly discussion regarding a sport in general. They are mostly good natured and willing to say something rarely heard by American fans "fair play to the other team".

I used to participate in the main Packer forums a lot. But now I mostly lurk on them. Too many guys there want a bad argument.

Do you follow the Barclay league?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Do you follow the Barclay league?

Yeah some. I'm still learning about it from Packfan71 and others on the other thread. I prefer Bundesliga because of the 51 percent rule. And it's still called a "working man's league". I like the concept. But I've been catching up on Premiere League a lot, too. Especially since I can watch it here on NBC now. I cut cable TV out of our budget this past year. (Trying to go totally debt free, cash based only status by the end of January.)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
To digress back to Bundesliga subjects. Goetze, Martinez AND Robben all hurt in the Chelsea game? Wow. Talk about a Pyrrhic victory. :(

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
To digress back to Bundesliga subjects. Goetze, Martinez AND Robben all hurt in the Chelsea game? Wow. Talk about a Pyrrhic victory. :(

They were? there you go then as i said pre game, Its not worth playing a ''competitive'' friendly when the League has started. By all means in the off season though. From the reports i read from the game it would seem Bayern were a tad lucky to get the win. The sending off justified or otherwise was the game changer, shame really you always want a competitive match. Not complaining too much though, id rather have lost that one instead of a certain other over 12 months ago. :ninja:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
They were? there you go then as i said pre game, Its not worth playing a ''competitive'' friendly when the League has started. By all means in the off season though. From the reports i read from the game it would seem Bayern were a tad lucky to get the win. The sending off justified or otherwise was the game changer, shame really you always want a competitive match. Not complaining too much though, id rather have lost that one instead of a certain other over 12 months ago. :ninja:

Lucky isn't the word for it. While Bayern controlled possession, they lacked the power once again to finish. Goetze was hurt on the sending off play, so I guess it was pretty hard. Bayern had 2 yellow cards and Chelsea had 7. I thought the ref was a little one sided as well, and I'm a Bayern fan.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Martinez and Robben will only miss a few days of practice, Croak. No need to worry about, just minor injuries.
Goetze got a plaster cast, but they expect him back in two or three weeks. It guess it helps that the Bundesliga has a two week break because of the World Cup qualification matches.

What else happenend this week...
HSV finally managed a 4-0 win over Braunschweig. A deserved win but to make it clear - Braunschweig looks like the weakest team in the league, no doubt they will be relegated after this season.
Stuttgart fired his manager on Monday and apparantly they are back on track, 5 minutes played in the second half and they lead 4-1 against "Team Plastic".
Schalke signed Kevin Prince Boateng (AC Milan) and Dennis Aogo (HSV) and both players were starters yesterday, Schalke defeated Leverkusen surprisingly easy 2-0.
Another result that made me smiling was the "tight" 4-1 victory of Gladbach over Bremen :p

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Martinez and Robben will only miss a few days of practice, Croak. No need to worry about, just minor injuries.
Goetze got a plaster cast, but they expect him back in two or three weeks. It guess it helps that the Bundesliga has a two week break because of the World Cup qualification matches.

What else happenend this week...
HSV finally managed a 4-0 win over Braunschweig. A deserved win but to make it clear - Braunschweig looks like the weakest team in the league, no doubt they will be relegated after this season.
Stuttgart fired his manager on Monday and apparantly they are back on track, 5 minutes played in the second half and they lead 4-1 against "Team Plastic".
Schalke signed Kevin Prince Boateng (AC Milan) and Dennis Aogo (HSV) and both players were starters yesterday, Schalke defeated Leverkusen surprisingly easy 2-0.
Another result that made me smiling was the "tight" 4-1 victory of Gladbach over Bremen :p

Boateng was a big surprise to me. He's going to make Schalke even more formidable.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Frankfurt is a difficult team to figure out. For a while they were giving Dortmund all they could handle. Weidenfeller was even yelling at his own teammates. Then Frankfurt just fell apart and seemed to lose any sense of a definite strateqy. They seem like a Jekyll and Hyde team.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankfurt is a difficult team to figure out. For a while they were giving Dortmund all they could handle. Weidenfeller was even yelling at his own teammates. Then Frankfurt just fell apart and seemed to lose any sense of a definite strateqy. They seem like a Jekyll and Hyde team.

Finally a deserved win for Dortmund but as you wrote - Frankfurt was a tough opponent and had very good chances especially in the first half. But it could have been a 3-1 or 4-2 for Dortmund as well if they had converted their chances.
Looks like they dont miss Goetze anymore, both new players, Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang, are outstanding football players and a perfect fit into the tactical system of BVB.

Great avatar, Croak! I guess its you on the left with the Bart Starr shirt and Dave Robinson on the right, am I right ? ;) Awesome ! :tup:

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Finally a deserved win for Dortmund but as you wrote - Frankfurt was a tough opponent and had very good chances especially in the first half. But it could have been a 3-1 or 4-2 for Dortmund as well if they had converted their chances.
Looks like they dont miss Goetze anymore, both new players, Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang, are outstanding football players and a perfect fit into the tactical system of BVB.

Great avatar, Croak! I guess its you on the left with the Bart Starr shirt and Dave Robinson the right, am I right ? ;) Awesome ! :tup:

Yep, that's right. My son's and I were walking through the Packer Hall of fame and my one son saw this big man off to the side in a room by himself packing boxes of books. My son said; "Dad, that's Dave Robinson." I remembered him from the 60's with big hair and said; "Nah, can't be." My son said; "At least go and ask." So I walked up and said; "Excuse me sir. Are you Dave Robinson?" He gave a big smile, stuck out his huge hand for a shake and said; "Yes I am." He then pointed at my shirt and said; "Now there was a REAL quarterback" He took his Super Bowl rings off and handed them to my sons to look at and hold. What a great guy he is.

Edit; Bart Starr has always been my favorite Packer of all time and my favorite QB of all time. I admire him as a man first, who has been through a lot of trials and overcame them, then as a great football player.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
FC Bayern launches new Away-shirt.
http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/en/news/news/2013/lederhosen-kit-launch-feature.php
Hmmm....I dont know what to make of it, do you guys like it, any thoughts ? :confused:

Ha! Reminds me too much of the Cleveland Browns. Don't want the team to go that direction. :sick: However, I confess I would love to be in Bavaria for Oktoberfest some year. Germans truly do know how to brew a good beer. (But Guinness is still my favorite.) That brown kit is not very inspiring though. ESPN magazine a few years back did a study on the prejudices of referees. They found that subconsciously referees give more breaks to teams in red.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Anything brown on a football kit is always a bad option.................

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha! Reminds me too much of the Cleveland Browns. Don't want the team to go that direction. :sick: However, I confess I would love to be in Bavaria for Oktoberfest some year. Germans truly do know how to brew a good beer. (But Guinness is still my favorite.) That brown kit is not very inspiring though. ESPN magazine a few years back did a study on the prejudices of referees. They found that subconsciously referees give more breaks to teams in red.
Me too, but really difficult to find an affordable hotel during Oktoberfest :rolleyes: I assume you wont go without beeing properly dressed with Lederhosen ? :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Scharner really dumped on Hamburg. He said they have no philosophy and they didn't give him a chance. Why can't guys like that just settle their differences in private and leave it at that? It kind of reminds me of Jennings and Driver's remarks about Rodgers. (Not to mention "he who shall not be named".)

Bayern has so many injuries at midfield right now, we'll see if all the hoopla about their depth will bear out. That's footy. You never know when injuries are going to slow you down. They are kind of an equalizer when teams like Bayern who spent tons of money on talent have to bench the talent. This should make things exciting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts