Fußball-Bundesliga

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, and the year before we were kicked out by Werder, at home ! A nightmare. :tdown::x3:
Instead of us Fulham played against Atletico Madrid, in our own stadium :rolleyes:
But could have been worse, just remember Bayern losing against Chelsea at home in 2012 ;)

We played the Europa-League semi-finals two times in a row and never made it to the finals, thats devasting.
I wont say that time will heal all wounds but I must admit I enjoyed my trip to Craven Cottage anyway.

Me too, always nice memories :)
I guess Peter Shilton was the best English goalkeeper of all time ?! Didnt he play until he was in his forties ?

I do have my doubts but perhaps I should give it a try :D

The margins are so small sometimes, Drogba concedes the needless penalty Bayern score they win and he's the villan. Luckily for him it worked out a bit different that time. The away team in a final can have the edge because of the nothing to lose factor. The 2012 final was a classic example Chelsea should have won in 2008 and it was unfinished business. Bayern lost that game the exact same way we did in 2008. I would not want to play a Euro Final at home because of that no way.

Yeah He played for 10 more years at the top level think he finished at Italia 90. :) The best keeper i have seen anyway.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The margins are so small sometimes, Drogba concedes the needless penalty Bayern score they win and he's the villan. Luckily for him it worked out a bit different that time. The away team in a final can have the edge because of the nothing to lose factor. The 2012 final was a classic example Chelsea should have won in 2008 and it was unfinished business. Bayern lost that game the exact same way we did in 2008. I would not want to play a Euro Final at home because of that no way.

Yeah He played for 10 more years at the top level think he finished at Italia 90. :) The best keeper i have seen anyway.

And who do you think was the best Scottish keeper ever ? I hardly know any Scottish keeper to be honest :confused:;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
And who do you think was the best Scottish keeper ever ? I hardly know any Scottish keeper to be honest :confused:;)

I would say Andy Goram was good also but he had certain personal issues.

Craig Gordon Was real hot prospect moved to Sunderland for £9m. Bad move wrong club. After a 1–1 draw with Italy he drew praise from Gianluigi Buffon who said he could be one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Should have been a world class, but constant injury and loss of form meant it didn't happen. He's still only 30 and without a club, such a waste of a talent.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jim Leighton was also a decent keeper played in 3 World Cups.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Andy Goram was good also but he had certain personal issues.

Craig Gordon Was real hot prospect moved to Sunderland for £9m. Bad move wrong club. After a 1–1 draw with Italy he drew praise from Gianluigi Buffon who said he could be one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Should have been a world class, but constant injury and loss of form meant it didn't happen. He's still only 30 and without a club, such a waste of a talent.

Jim Leighton was also a decent keeper played in 3 World Cups.
Ah, yes, Jim Leighton is a name I remember, sure.
But didnt know that Craig Gordon was sich a great keeper, impressive video. Still without a club ? Thats a pity :(
Just read that Andy Goram supported the Ulster Volunteer Force and had schizoprhenia...is this what you mean with personal issues ? ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Ah, yes, Jim Leighton is a name I remember, sure.
But didnt know that Craig Gordon was sich a great keeper, impressive video. Still without a club ? Thats a pity :(
Just read that Andy Goram supported the Ulster Volunteer Force and had schizoprhenia...is this what you mean with personal issues ?
;)

Yeah hes still got dodgy knees and they wont clear up, no club will take the risk on him. He was training with Rangers last i heard if that does not work out hes going into coaching. Similar to the defender John Kennedy who was forced to quit. :(

Goram was a top player but a rogue, that's exactly what i'm on about. There are certain radical groups that try to associate themselves to both Glasgow clubs he foolishly got stuck to one of them. Also he looked elsewhere when he shouldn't have in the domestic department. If you know what i mean, :rolleyes: he quit the world cup squad before France 98 for unknown reasons.................................Leighton was doing better and he could not handle it.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah hes still got dodgy knees and they wont clear up, no club will take the risk on him. He was training with Rangers last i heard if that does not work out hes going into coaching. Similar to the defender John Kennedy who was forced to quit. :(

Goram was a top player but a rogue, that's exactly what i'm on about. There are certain radical groups that try to associate themselves to both Glasgow clubs he foolishly got stuck to one of them. Also he looked elsewhere when he shouldn't have in the domestic department. If you know what i mean, :rolleyes: he quit the world cup squad before France 98 for unknown reasons.................................Leighton was doing better and he could not handle it.

Thats a real shame :(
We had an awesome player in Hamburg who had to retire because of a cartilage damage (I had to look up the english word) in his knee. His name was Karsten "Air" Bäron and he could have been the successor of Horst Hrubesch we were waiting and hoping for. :(
Here is one of the very few videos that are left, he scored against Dresden (4:50)

Thats inexcuseable - remembers me of Bernd Schuster who also refused to play for Germany. What an a**h*** :rolleyes:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Thats a real shame :(
We had an awesome player in Hamburg who had to retire because of a cartilage damage (I had to look up the english word) in his knee. His name was Karsten "Air" Bäron and he could have been the successor of Horst Hrubesch we were waiting and hoping for. :(
Here is one of the very few videos that are left, he scored against Dresden (4:50)

Thats inexcuseable - remembers me of Bernd Schuster who also refused to play for Germany. What an a**h*** :rolleyes:

I didn't know of him, that sucks he looked the part big strong striker. Real shame. :(

Schuster was a beast but very selfish and egotistica,l i remember him. Goram's career at Rangers had just finished but it was really unprofessional of him just to leave like that. And give up the chance of going to a World Cup really strange.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know of him, that sucks he looked the part big strong striker. Real shame. :(

Schuster was a beast but very selfish and egotistica,l i remember him. Goram's career at Rangers had just finished but it was really unprofessional of him just to leave like that. And give up the chance of going to a World Cup really strange.

Yepp, but he had outstanding ball skills.
In fact his nickname "Air" was misleading because he didnt score many headers though he was 1,97 m tall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Bäron

Bernd Schuster was very much influenced by his wife those days. She was his manager, horrible woman :rolleyes:
Goram is a jer*, there is nothing more to achieve than playing for your country. At least in my opinion... :confused:
And as we know Scotland doesnt play World Cups regularly... :(

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, but he had outstanding ball skills.
In fact his nickname "Air" was misleading because he didnt score many headers though he was 1,97 m tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Bäron

Bernd Schuster was very much influenced by his wife those days. She was his manager, horrible woman :rolleyes:
Goram is a jer*, there is nothing more to achieve than playing for your country. At least in my opinion... :confused:
And as we know Scotland doesnt play World Cups regularly...
:(

Being tall is always a good thing for a striker none the less, he sounds like an intelligent player a possible pick for the national side at some stage. Was that the Hammer Mr Albertz playing there? he should have stayed. I'm guessing from the shirts the clip was from about 1994?

There is no higher honour than playing for your national side, those that cant be bothered to do so are fools to themselves.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being tall is always a good thing for a striker none the less, he sounds like an intelligent player a possible pick for the national side at some stage. Was that the Hammer Mr Albertz playing there? he should have stayed. I'm guessing from the shirts the clip was from about 1994?

There is no higher honour than playing for your national side, those that cant be bothered to do so are fools to themselves.

You are right, this match took place in 1994 ! :tup:
Looks like you have become a German Bundesliga expert meanwhile, PackerFan71. ;)

Jörg "Ali" Albertz was playing for us until 1996 when he was signed by Rangers. His first years with us were pretty good, but after returning from Glasgow in 2001 it was obvious that his best days were behind him.
Did you have a closer look to the pitch ? If so you may have noticed that another sports team were using our stadium for their home games.... ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You are right, this match took place in 1994 ! :tup:
Looks like you have become a German Bundesliga expert meanwhile, PackerFan71. ;)

Jörg "Ali" Albertz was playing for us until 1996 when he was signed by Rangers. His first years with us were pretty good, but after returning from Glasgow in 2001 it was obvious that his best days were behind him.
Did you have a closer look to the pitch ? If so you may have noticed that another sports team were using our stadium for their home games.... ;)

Well i don't know about that but maybe i'm ok at recognizing football shirts. ;) The giveaway was the design was identical to that of the German team of the 94 World Cup. :)

Thats one of the first things i did notice, could be a NFL Europe team playing there possibly?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well i don't know about that but maybe i'm ok at recognizing football shirts. ;) The giveaway was the design was identical to that of the German team of the 94 World Cup. :)

Thats one of the first things i did notice, could be a NFL Europe team playing there possibly?
Indeed, the Hamburg Blue Devils used to play their games at the old "Volksparkstadion". They later became the Hamburg Sea Devils and joined the NFL Europe. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, its the North End, strictly forbidden and even not recommended for any away fan to appear there ;)
I try to post a picture of the away stand later, after kickoff...

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
No, its the North End, strictly forbidden and even not recommended for any away fan to appear there ;)
I try to post a picture of the away stand later, after kickoff...

Ahh different from here, away support are always at the opposite side from the home fans. Viel Glück!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cant win a Bundesliga match without a defense, horrible. Like a youth team.
Looks like a false start into the season... :(

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Bayern dominated Frankfurt, but only scored one goal. I'm still not convinced Pep knows which players work the best together. Mandzukic is a scrapper and he can head the ball, but his other ball handling skills are suspect to me. FCB should have had about 4 goals. A win's a win, but they need to get the ball in the net when they have the chance.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You cant win a Bundesliga match without a defense, horrible. Like a youth team.
Looks like a false start into the season... :(

Ouch no way is that acceptable, if they don't sort that out the stadium will be empty during games. :(

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ouch no way is that acceptable, if they don't sort that out the stadium will be empty during games. :(

Back at home, indeed inacceptable performance but well deserved win for Hoffenheim.
I stay by my prediction - as long as Mr. Fink sits on our bench things wont get better. :mad:
Need a couple beers now.....:confused::D

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts