Fußball-Bundesliga

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Criminey for a moment i thought it looked like Morten Harket the singer for A-ha played for Schalke. :roflmao:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, 1-1 at Volkswagen isnt bad, but it could have been more than a draw.
Many chances for Hamburg that we unfortunately didnt convert, one shot even hit the bar. :rolleyes:
Anyway, Im quite satisfied with this result.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
OK, 1-1 at Volkswagen isnt bad, but it could have been more than a draw.
Many chances for Hamburg that we unfortunately didnt convert, one shot even hit the bar. :rolleyes:
Anyway, Im quite satisfied with this result.

Things are getting better Nessie at least in the mind. Now its we should have won instead of jeeesss at least we got a point. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things are getting better Nessie at least in the mind. Now its we should have won instead of jeeesss at least we got a point. ;)
Youre right, PackerFan71.
One the one hand its a good sign because the team is simply playing much better football now. On the other hand its quite typical for us HSV fans because expectations are getting higher pretty quick instead to be patient.
To be honest - until the 60 th minute of the match Wolfsburg was the better team, but then HSV took control of the game and had very strong 30 minutes with pretty enough chances to win this game easily.
I think this game has been another step in the right direction.

Btw- just read a funny story about one of Croaks favorites, Thomas Müller ;)
After the CL match on Wednesday he was asked by a Russian reporter why Bayern is playing such a good football without beeing impressed by the opponent or the freezing temperatures in Moscow.
We have a saying "eine breite Brust haben" what means that you are very self confident at the moment.
He just tried to translate this in English and his result was "we have a big breast" and we all know that isnt what he meant to say! :D
Typical mistake for us Germans when tyring to translate a German saying directly into English ! :oops:;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Youre right, PackerFan71.
One the one hand its a good sign because the team is simply playing much better football now. On the other hand its quite typical for us HSV fans because expectations are getting higher pretty quick instead to be patient.
To be honest - until the 60 th minute of the match Wolfsburg was the better team, but then HSV took control of the game and had very strong 30 minutes with pretty enough chances to win this game easily.
I thing this game has been another step in the right direction.

Btw- just read a funny story about one of Croaks favorites, Thomas Müller ;)
After the CL match on Wednesday he was asked by a Russian reporter why Bayern is playing such a good football without beeing impressed by the opponent or the freezing temperatures in Moscow.
We have a saying "eine breite Brust haben" what means that you are very self confident at the moment.
He just tried to translate this in English and his result was "we have a big breast" and we all know that isnt what he meant to say! :D
Typical mistake for us Germans when tyring to translate a German saying directly into English !
:oops:;)

I honestly expected a home win there, the DutchBerti is making a difference (under Fink a no brainer away defeat.) And good to hear they are making the chances now. :tup:

Haha! Mullers a good player and a nice guy, but he should take English lessons though. :eek: :roflmao:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I honestly expected a home win there, the DutchBerti is making a difference (under Fink a no brainer away defeat.) And good to hear they are making the chances now. :tup:

Haha! Mullers a good player and a nice guy, but he should take English lessons though. :eek: :roflmao:

That's funny. :roflmao: Sometimes when I'm reading German and I translate it literally into English, I crack up. Speaking of Muller, he looked tired today. Pep pulled him early in the second half. I think he's been playing too much with Champions League, International, and Bundesliga. It's wearing him down.

Today's game was one of the few Bayern games in which I almost fell asleep. A lot of the time Bayern left one defender back with Neuer. Sometimes Neuer was the only defender on his side of the field.

Without trying to sound racist, this really isn't a "Bavarian" team. It's hardly even German when one looks at the roster. There are an awful lot of Spanish names on the field. :whistling:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
All this talk of FC Bayern. bah! My Stuttgarter Kickers are on the rise. We beat last place Burghausen and are out of the relegation zone for a day... (depending on what Karl Marx Stadt does tomorrow). :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's funny. :roflmao: Sometimes when I'm reading German and I translate it literally into English, I crack up. Speaking of Muller, he looked tired today. Pep pulled him early in the second half. I think he's been playing too much with Champions League, International, and Bundesliga. It's wearing him down.

Today's game was one of the few Bayern games in which I almost fell asleep. A lot of the time Bayern left one defender back with Neuer. Sometimes Neuer was the only defender on his side of the field.

Without trying to sound racist, this really isn't a "Bavarian" team. It's hardly even German when one looks at the roster. There are an awful lot of Spanish names on the field. :whistling:
Well, thats the world of modern football nowadays. Thats why so many National teams struggle because more and more roster spots are occupied by foreign players.
Just checked how many German players where on the field for Hamburg yesterday and Im really surprised - I counted 8 German players ! :eek:;)
Bayern game was boring, fully agree on this Croak, but as expected three points for Bayern.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk of FC Bayern. bah! My Stuttgarter Kickers are on the rise. We beat last place Burghausen and are out of the relegation zone for a day... (depending on what Karl Marx Stadt does tomorrow). :D
As long as they dont win Kickers stay out of the relegation zone. ;)
Btw - Leipzig with another win, another Team Plastic on their way to the Bundesliga :rolleyes:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Btw - Leipzig with another win, another Team Plastic on their way to the Bundesliga :rolleyes:

Well at least Lok Leipzig is still mired at the bottom of the Regionalliga Nordost. 1. FC Magdeburg is the most tasteless one of the bunch. Hansa Rostock is another one that can't fall far enough imo.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Its not being racist its just the facts of the modern game. Soccer/Football is a multi national entertainment industry, the owners only want their teams to win and be the best that means getting or trying to get the best players no matter where they come from. However as you know Croak in an ideal world it would be better if more of the players were locals in terms of keeping a clubs identity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

You mean Leverkusen? yeah they are very good this season. :)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I could have meant Bayer Uerdingen, but alas they are now KFC. Who could have known that Harland Sanders came from Krefeld? :D

Isn't it obvious with such a Non German sounding surname, however he's German and likes meat that makes sense. :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least Lok Leipzig is still mired at the bottom of the Regionalliga Nordost. 1. FC Magdeburg is the most tasteless one of the bunch. Hansa Rostock is another one that can't fall far enough imo.

I've been in Rostock for a HSV away game once and I think I wouldnt do it again. I've never met such an aggressive bunch of idiots in any other stadium before. Not even in Bremen, Berlin or against St.P****. :rolleyes:
Many of the Eastern German teams obviously have a problem with fan violence, especially Leipzig with Lok and Sachsen are well known for their rivalry. But now both are more or less "united" in their efforts against this marketing gag called Red Bull Leipzig. :poop:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not being racist its just the facts of the modern game. Soccer/Football is a multi national entertainment industry, the owners only want their teams to win and be the best that means getting or trying to get the best players no matter where they come from. However as you know Croak in an ideal world it would be better if more of the players were locals in terms of keeping a clubs identity.
Agree, its simply a much bigger market for players because football/soccer is the No.1. sport worldwide.
Its played all over the world, very much different from most of the US American sports like Football or Baseball who are unknown or at least unpopular outside the USA.
Thats why there arent many foreign players in the NFL or MLB, only NBA Basketball seems to be a little different because its quite popular in other countries too.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I've been in Rostock for a HSV away game once and I think I wouldnt do it again. I've never met such an aggressive bunch of idiots in any other stadium before. Not even in Bremen, Berlin or against St.P****. :rolleyes:
Many of the Eastern German teams obviously have a problem with fan violence, especially Leipzig with Lok and Sachsen are well known for their rivalry. But now both are more or less "united" in their efforts against this marketing gag called Red Bull Leipzig. :poop:

I agree with this, but I might point out that the battles between the St. Pauli fans and the likes of Hansa Rostock, Lok Leipzig and Dynamo Dresden are legendary. :D

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Agree, its simply a much bigger market for players because football/soccer is the No.1. sport worldwide.
Its played all over the world, very much different from most of the US American sports like Football or Baseball who are unknown or at least unpopular outside the USA.
Thats why there arent many foreign players in the NFL or MLB, only NBA Basketball seems to be a little different because its quite popular in other countries too.

Firstly... you are somewhat incorrect about baseball. There are lots of foreign players in MLB. Mostly from Latin America... but the Japanese / Korean contingents are growing constantly. You just have to look at the results of the World Baseball Classic. Italy and the Netherlands were very competitive for gosh sakes!

Secondly... the way the NFL handled the NFLE league angers me. I was a long time supporter of Rhein Fire and I went to most of the games. But in the end the NFL parent teams were too chicken shet to even send their 3rd stringers over to play... (for fear of injury). We only had practice squad guys and some free agents. This was farkin' sad as we were getting 40,000 fans out in Duesseldorf. What could have been a great developmental league was tossed in for a regular season game at Wembley. I am still irate to this day.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Firstly... you are somewhat incorrect about baseball. There are lots of foreign players in MLB. Mostly from Latin American... but the Japanese / Korean contingents are growing constantly. You just have to look at the results of the World Baseball Classic. Italy and the Netherlands were very competitive for gosh sakes!

Secondly... the way the NFL handled the NFLE league angers me. I was a long time supporter of Rhein Fire and I went to most of the games. But in the end the NFL parent teams were too chicken shet to even send their 3rd stringers over to play... (for fear of injury). We only had practice squad guys and some free agents. This was farkin' sad as we were getting 40,000 fans out in Duesseldorf. What could have been a great developmental league was tossed in for a regular season game at Wembley. I am still irate to this day.

I must admit you are right, Sandolf.:oops:
But compared with soccer its still a very American sport and has, with 28 %, a percentage of foreign players that is far behind our football/soccer leagues. For example the EPL has a foreign player percentage of 69 %, German Bundesliga 45 % and the Primera Division in Spain roundabout 40 %
I never realized that at least 1/3 of the MLB players are foreigners, always thought its more similar to the NFL were less than 3 % (!) are players from outside the USA.
However, just looked up these numbers and found them quite interesting.

Manni Burgsmueller, is it your autograph card ? Nice memory. :tup::)
For those who dont know Manni Burgsmueller - he was a very good and well known goal-getter for Dortmund and Werder Bremen. He scored more than 160 goals in the Bundesliga, retired when he was 41 years old and had another career as a kicker for Dusseldorf Rhine Fire !
Indeed the NFL missed a huge chance to establish Football in Europe, Hamburg Sea Devils or Frankfurt Galaxy were quite popular too. And I dont understand why they only go to London with these regular season games, I still think there could be a market in other European countries too.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with this, but I might point out that the battles between the St. Pauli fans and the likes of Hansa Rostock, Lok Leipzig and Dynamo Dresden are legendary. :D
Oh yeah, a match between Pauli and Rostock lets you feel as if there is a civil war going on, police and road blocks everywhere. :eek::D

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Indeed the NFL missed a huge chance to establish Football in Europe, Hamburg Sea Devils or Frankfurt Galaxy were quite popular too. And I dont understand why they only go to London with these regular season games, I still think there could be a market in other European countries too.

It is very sad. The party atmosphere at NFLE games sometimes detracted from actually watching the game. The beer, cheerleaders and loud music attracted a lot of the crowd. I can remember in one of my first visits to the Rheinstadion an opposing receiver shoved our defender in the back before catching a TD pass. I leaped to my feet and started screaming for a flag. All of the rest of the fans in the section looked at me like I was crazy in the brain!

But as time went on the fans started to understand football. You could talk to Galaxy fans. Everybody behaved well. The NFL really screwed the pooch on this one. American football will never grow internationally if the NFL has so little regard for the fan base.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
As we are on the topic of old memories... does anybody remember these guys?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we are on the topic of old memories... does anybody remember these guys?

Of course I do, also known as the magic triangle ;)
Croak, you should know the left guy because he played for Bayern as well, in the middle is the current director of sport VfB Stuttgart and on the right side is a former Bulgarian International who failed as a Bundesliga manager with Kaiserslautern in 2012. :cool:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is very sad. The party atmosphere at NFLE games sometimes detracted from actually watching the game. The beer, cheerleaders and loud music attracted a lot of the crowd. I can remember in one of my first visits to the Rheinstadion an opposing receiver shoved our defender in the back before catching a TD pass. I leaped to my feet and started screaming for a flag. All of the rest of the fans in the section looked at me like I was crazy in the brain!

But as time went on the fans started to understand football. You could talk to Galaxy fans. Everybody behaved well. The NFL really screwed the pooch on this one. American football will never grow internationally if the NFL has so little regard for the fan base.

Come on, do you expect us Europeans to know the football rules Sandolf ? :eek: :D

Latest posts