Freshman QB Graham Mertz

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you are a Badger football fan, you have to be excited about this kid. Will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets his Freshman year and if and when he eventually takes over for Junior Jack Coan.

Russell Wilson is still being talked about as one of the greatest QB's to come out of Wisconsin and he only played for the Badgers 1 season, Mertz could end up being even better than Russell.

"Mertz fielded offers from Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State and others"

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-mertz-wisconsin-most-hyped-qb-russell-wilson

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like he fits in :)

I've probably said this, but I do not pay any attention to recruiting classes for college. I have no idea who these kids are. I never watch the all american high school stuff, mostly because I don't care. It's high school. If you don't play around here, I likely don't care at all because it just isn't that important to me at that level. But I did catch a glimpse of a high school all star game flipping thru the channels and saw this QB and was like damn, that was a nice throw. So I watched for a couple minutes and he was slinging the ball like a pro and he was in high school. It wasn't the typical wide open bombs, he threaded a needle or 2 and just looked the part. I only watched 2 drives and was impressed. I didn't know who he was, found out later that he was the kid coming to WI.

He has a lot of work to do, college is a whole other level, but there seems to be reason to be excited.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the Badgers long tradition of recruiting quality offensive lineman, his signing with Wisconsin is a good indication the young man is a smart man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can understand why they aren't eager to throw our young QB out there too soon but I am eager to see him in action.

I think they are hoping to be able to red shirt him this season. Which means that he can only play in up to 4 games this season. So I think we will see him, but Chryst is going to carefully choose his spots.

Jack Coan is the typical Badger QB, isn't spectacular, but gets the job done, while being aided by a great running game. He is only a junior and I think Chryst will stick with him as long as he doesn't start playing bad or is injured. If that happens, bye bye red shirt for Mertz.

For those wondering. The Badger QB from last season, Alex Hornibrook, transferred to Florida State for his final year of eligibility. He is 2nd string behind a Sophomore QB. Hornibrook seems to have taken a nice jab at his ex Badger teammates recently, when he said "I’m excited to be here. I’ve never been around a group of WRs that love football so much and never want to leave the field."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornibrook can enjoy FL, what ill feelings he has, i'm sure it's mutual for many people. They're as glad he's there, as he is.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hornibrook can enjoy FL, what ill feelings he has, i'm sure it's mutual for many people. They're as glad he's there, as he is.

I actually liked Hornibrook, he wasn't a great QB but average and actually a nice guy off the field. Whether his comment was meant to be a jab at the Badger WR group or not, if you knew the guys he was talking about....it was spot on.

Love the Badger receivers talent wise, but I will bite my tongue when talking about how they conduct themselves off of the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts