Free Giveaway - Discussion Thread

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have any questions about the contest or what to make some random comments, you can do so here. So if you asked a question before and it was deleted, you can repost here and it will not be deleted. :)

Actual Contest Thread - Make sure to post your guesses in the actual contest thread!

Good luck again to everyone!

H

HardRightEdge

In contests like this, it seems best to play the outlier...a very low or very high guess. With so many picks clustered in a middle range, where he's likely to come in, you could be very close but likely edged out.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In contests like this, it seems best to play the outlier...a very low or very high guess. With so many picks clustered in a middle range, where he's likely to come in, you could be very close but likely edged out.

Always a good strategy, hehe.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm predicting you're wrong and it's somewhere in the middle but it's your play. I went low on homeristic tendencies.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Always a good strategy, hehe.
Maybe but Robdog, what is the "Free Giveaway". Do we get to pick or do you decide?
I'd like a Lamborghini if I get to pick. But I'd take a Porsche too. I just don't want you to think I'm greedy in all this. If it's like Santa and you get what you played for this year then I want to remind you I never swore on this site this year.
So hoping for at least a cribbage board. But I trust you to make the right decision.

H

HardRightEdge

While I'm skeptical of the wisdom of crowds, just for yucks I averaged the 44 guesses posted as of this writing, rounded to the nearest whole number:

5 catches, 62 yards, 1 TD

H

HardRightEdge

I'm predicting you're wrong and it's somewhere in the middle but it's your play. I went low on homeristic tendencies.

Well, like I said, it is LIKELY he'll come in somewhere in the middle. But it is certainly possible he'll come in low or high. I like the odds better with a high guess where there are few other guesses. Call it a "black swan" kinda thing.

H

HardRightEdge

you post that in the guesses thread?
I meant to post it here. I'm NOT using that as my guess. I guessed higher.

I was watching a TV show last night where a guy did some experiments on wisdom of crowds. He had a big bottle of jelly beans and asked 500 people to guess how many were in it. It happened to have something like 4220. Only 3 people guessed near that number; a few guessed very high near 50,000; many guessed very low. The average was something like 4215...almost spot on.

The election futures markets have also proven to be quite accurate predictors of outcomes.

On the other hand, the "wisdom" of crowds has given us tech and credit bubbles, and **** Germany for that matter, so go figure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just making sure you got your guess in the proper thread..Hate you not to get it in

Members online

Latest posts