1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Free Furniture.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raider Pride, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Someone in Green Bay please fill me in on the Furniture store that ran an ad before the weekend that any furniture purchased on Friday and Satureday would be free if the Packers were shut out.

I saw a blurb on the news here in Canada about this store, and how they had to give back $300,000.00 in refunds on the weekends sales plus the people who purchased the furniture got to keep the furniture they bought on Friday and Satureday becuase the Packers were indeed shut out.

Does anyone know the name of the store?

Interesting.

R.P.

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know the name, but i saw it on our local FOX station. (I posted about it in the NFL area). It was a Chicago furniture store that did it, and according to 4pack, he had taken out insurance in case it happened. (Lucky for him!) :wink:

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    CHICAGO (AP) -- It all started with a little trash-talking.

Randy Gonigam, a Kendall County furniture store owner and "huge Bears fan," got tired of players bragging about their defense, so he decided to put his money on it.

Over Labor Day weekend, Gonigam's World Furniture Mall in Plano offered customers free furniture -- up to $10,000 -- if the Chicago Bears shut out the Green Bay Packers in their season opener.

Four quarters, 206 customers and about $300,000 later, Gonigam is still a little shell-shocked.

"This is beyond our wildest dreams," he said.

The Bears blanked the Packers 26-0 Sunday, ending Green Bay's 233-game scoring streak and giving Brett Favre the first shutout of his 16-year NFL career.

The idea that it was a long shot didn't keep him from insuring the store for up to $300,000 worth of furniture with a company that specializes in insuring prize reimbursements.

Gonigam got the idea to offer full refunds over Labor Day weekend after hearing Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher brag that the team would have the best defense in the NFL this year.

"As a Chicago sports fan, you get frustrated," he said. "I thought, 'Prove it."'

Customer and expectant mother Kathleen Spayer, 40, went back into the store Monday to make sure her $5,000 master bedroom suite was really free.

"It's the luckiest year of my life," she said.

Plano is about 45 miles southwest of Chicago.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

4. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks....

On the news here they said a Green Bay furniture store.

Which made no sense to me?

Chicago sounds better.

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah that guy was on cold pizza this morning.

he had a lot of coverage from his insurance company and didnt lose out TOOOO BAD, but still...yeah.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    What a coincidence!!! I ATE some "Cold Pizza" this morning!!! :lol:

7. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cold Pizza. Did you have a hot beer to wash it down?