Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure, but if the Packers have to waive Tramon to pay for it, I say go for it.

Eric Berry is another interesting S still out there. He was elite when healthy, but battled with a heal injury that kept him out of a lot of games last year and an Achilles injury in 2017. He should come cheap, but if he can't play on a consistent basis, probably not even worth a cheap deal.

The Cowboys had Berry in for a visit on Tuesday, but he left without a contract and they are now bringing in former Viking S George Iloka.

I would prefer Boston out of the group of safeties you mentioned, especially if he could be had for a similar deal like he signed with the Cardinals in 2018.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, very much so. It would shift our draft need from Safety to CB but I think we will be good with picking up an early day 3 prospect. In the last rounds of the draft Jimmy Moreland is a name that interests me a lot.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ry-Packers-ideal-landing-spot--130334319/Amp/

While this article is purely just speculation by the pundits, the real gem is that Berry saw Dr. Anderson who is an associate physician of the Packers. If he doesn't visit prior to the Draft I'd say Gute isn't sold on his health. But him with Amos and the rest of the crew, Top 5 secondary for sure. This would cement my pick for Ed Oliver as we would get coverage sacks and forced throws for interceptions.

D

Deleted member 6794

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ry-Packers-ideal-landing-spot--130334319/Amp/

While this article is purely just speculation by the pundits, the real gem is that Berry saw Dr. Anderson who is an associate physician of the Packers. If he doesn't visit prior to the Draft I'd say Gute isn't sold on his health. But him with Amos and the rest of the crew, Top 5 secondary for sure. This would cement my pick for Ed Oliver as we would get coverage sacks and forced throws for interceptions.

I don't believe the Packers could fit Berry under the salary cap without releasing another player. Tre Boston would be my favorite option if the team wants to add another safety as he would most likely come significantly cheaper.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the Packers could fit Berry under the salary cap without releasing another player. Tre Boston would be my favorite option if the team wants to add another safety as he would most likely come significantly cheaper.
he might be cheap on a one year prove-it deal. the more time passes the more the likelihood that that's the type of deal he gets from anyone.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think they could fit Berry in salary cap wise if they think he's healthy. And if he is healthy he'd be the best available immediate starter at free safety available.

I also like Tre Boston on the field. But like brashaud breeland there must be something wrong with him that the general public is not privy too. Only way I can see breeland only got 1 year two million and only way I can see that Boston repeatedly can't land a contract commiserate with his talent level and production.

In the end though how much is Berry really gonna get he's not gettinng earl thomas tyrann mathiu Landon Collins money. I'm guessing he gets right around what Amos got but on a one year deal heavily playing time incentive based. So maybe that's one year 6 million with 3 million of unlikely to be earned roster bonuses. Idk either way it's not gonna be a big contract at this point in dollars or years

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have to guess that Berry is asking for too much money. Boston could be as well. Given Berry's age (30) and recent injury issues, I would pass on him, unless the price was REALLY cheap. Dallas had him in and they ended up signing George Iloka.

If they can get him at the right price, I would prefer Tre Boston. He is 4 years younger (26) than Berry and hasn't had the injury history.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to guess that Berry is asking for too much money. Boston could be as well. Given Berry's age (30) and recent injury issues, I would pass on him, unless the price was REALLY cheap. Dallas had him in and they ended up signing George Iloka.

If they can get him at the right price, I would prefer Tre Boston. He is 4 years younger (26) than Berry and hasn't had the injury history.

If HaHa only got 3.5mil. I can't imagine Boston getting more than that. I assume?

H

HardRightEdge

Ruptured Achilles in 2017. Haglund's Deformity in 2018, a bone spur digging into the Achilles:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-deformity-may-require-patience-in-recovery/

Berry opted not to have surgery this offseason evidently going the pain management route. No MRI or doctor is going to be able to tell you the pain level of an injury or how well a guy will play through pain. 2 games back, sat out the Colts playoff game, came back for the Patriots. How many games can you count on?

This is not auspicious and a d*mn shame. This is a guy who came back from an ACL and then Hodkins Lymphoma to put up HOF caliber years, so I guess we can't count him out but the risk is very high.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess we can't count him out but the risk is very high.

I think if Berry had a clear medical outlook, he would have been signed awhile ago. If that isn't clear to teams, he becomes a guy you take a chance on when all else fails or last resort. Kind of like the Rams did with Sam Shields.

With the draft coming up and someone like Tre Boston still out there, the Packers should explore all possibilities to improve the position. I wouldn't want another DB like Kevin King, someone you have no clue on in regards to their availability to play every game.

H

HardRightEdge

I think if Berry had a clear medical outlook, he would have been signed awhile ago. If that isn't clear to teams, he becomes a guy you take a chance on when all else fails or last resort. Kind of like the Rams did with Sam Shields.

With the draft coming up and someone like Tre Boston still out there, the Packers should explore all possibilities to improve the position. I wouldn't want another DB like Kevin King, someone you have no clue on in regards to their availability to play every game.
I don't think Gutekunst is going to do anything with his $5 mil in remaining cap space until after the draft when remaining needs can be determined and the post-draft cuts appear. Maybe not even then, or not all of that $5 mil, leaving some carryover to 2020 where his cap space is very tight.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think Gutekunst is going to do anything with his $5 mil in remaining cap space until after the draft when remaining needs can be determined and the post-draft cuts appear. Maybe not even then, or not all of that $5 mil, leaving some carryover to 2020 where his cap space is very tight.

I think you are right in regards to the current Cap, with the current roster. However, as we have talked about, he does have the ability to free up some more Cap by cutting a player or two. I think if he sees a great opportunity to upgrade with a FA starter at a reasonable value, he might. Obviously, more will be known after the draft and depending on who we draft, certain current Packers could become more expendable.

While TT was not know as a big player in Free Agency, I think one of the reasons he liked to lay low for awhile, was that there was a supply of bargains available this time of year, when most teams have gotten themselves tight against the cap and/or were sitting pat until the draft.

Some don't remember TT for his Free Agent signings, but he actually scored on quite a few.
  1. Ryan Pickett
  2. Julius Peppers
  3. Charles Woodson
  4. John Kuhn
  5. Jeff Saturday
  6. Letroy Guion

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they could fit Berry in salary cap wise if they think he's healthy. And if he is healthy he'd be the best available immediate starter at free safety available.

I also like Tre Boston on the field. But like brashaud breeland there must be something wrong with him that the general public is not privy too. Only way I can see breeland only got 1 year two million and only way I can see that Boston repeatedly can't land a contract commiserate with his talent level and production.

In the end though how much is Berry really gonna get he's not gettinng earl thomas tyrann mathiu Landon Collins money. I'm guessing he gets right around what Amos got but on a one year deal heavily playing time incentive based. So maybe that's one year 6 million with 3 million of unlikely to be earned roster bonuses. Idk either way it's not gonna be a big contract at this point in dollars or years

For the record, Breeland can make up to $5 million in 2019 with the contract including a ton of incentives. The Packers would have still need to have $6 million of cap space available to sign Berry to a contract like the one you suggested.

While TT was not know as a big player in Free Agency, I think one of the reasons he liked to lay low for awhile, was that there was a supply of bargains available this time of year, when most teams have gotten themselves tight against the cap and/or were sitting pat until the draft.

Unfortunately Thompson decided it was the best move not to sign anyone even at the point most of the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately Thompson decided it was the best move not to sign anyone even at the point most of the time.

I agree with you and I think most would. I was just merely pointing out that Thompson did dip into the Free Agency pool on occasion, but unlike Gute's signings in his 2 years of Free Agency, Teddy took his dips late and in the shallow end.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol...i HAD to be the one to bring it up again (since it seems like his free agency is eminent) antonio brown?
Dude you were the one the revived the could Aaron Rodgers be a problem thread up again. At this point you just can't help yourself.

But on a serious note, I am very glad we didn't sign him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol...i HAD to be the one to bring it up again (since it seems like his free agency is eminent) antonio brown?

You beat me to it. :roflmao:

Could y'all imagine dealing with this deranged nutcase right now?

I think this circus has been perfectly orchestrated by AB. I think he never wanted to play for Oakland, so he's acting a fool to get released. He'll then go to the team he wants, and then show out. Let's be honest, there are probably several teams he could have gotten traded to, but I moderately believe that Pittsburgh sent him to Oakland to die(career wise) The last thing they wanted is to run up against him in the AFC Playoffs and denied a Super Bowl appearance. It might seem petty, but he got $1M to essentially workout and stay in shape just so he could move on to a contender. Genius.

Members online

Latest posts