Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really like Breeland back, but the demand for good corners outstrips supply. After he lost out on his big pay day last offseason, I would expect he would go to the highest bidder. So basically, I think he ends up being overpaid. I think he's a 3rd CB who will get paid like a good #2.

It would make sense to bring Ryan back into camp on a deal without guarantees and let him compete for the backup MIKE role with Morrison and a rookie. I'm not 100% sold that he would end up making the roster, but he might if he's fully recovered.

I agree with your takes on Allison and Brice as well. At TE, I would let both Kendricks and Lewis walk. If they're going to pay a veteran auxiliary TE, I think there are much better options out there.

As for TE...am I crazy to think I'd rather cut Graham, sign Jared Cook, draft a high talented TE, sign LaFleur guy Stocker and pick up a cheap FA for 4th or low draftee....I'd like that TE room better than any with Graham's salary there for what it gets us performance wise.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would save 3.6M against the cap, and they should absolutely do it. Crosby is not a high end kicker.

So between a cut to Crosby and Tramon the team can free up basically little over $8Million more....both I support despite liking both guys.

I wish cutting Perry saved us more but dang there is a lot of dead money left on his deal...would save just like $3.3Million. However, that $11Million saved could be the difference in resigning Breeland or one FA grab of size.

I am tentatively excited to see how FA pans out...I have never been more of the mindset we will be a player, I'm just curious what tier or step on the ladder will that fall in.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As for TE...am I crazy to think I'd rather cut Graham, sign Jared Cook, draft a high talented TE, sign LaFleur guy Stocker and pick up a cheap FA for 4th or low draftee....I'd like that TE room better than any with Graham's salary there for what it gets us performance wise.

I don't thinkit would make sense to cut Graham and sign Cook as Graham would still account for 7.3M in dead money even if released. They gave Graham a stupid contract and now they have to lie in the bed they made.

However, signing a cheaper veteran who can block and drafting a future starter would make sense. Stocker is one option, though older than I'd like. Maxx Williams is a name I prefer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't thinkit would make sense to cut Graham and sign Cook as Graham would still account for 7.3M in dead money even if released. They gave Graham a stupid contract and now they have to lie in the bed they made.

However, signing a cheaper veteran who can block and drafting a future starter would make sense. Stocker is one option, though older than I'd like. Maxx Williams is a name I prefer.

I however, foresee Maxx despite some struggles still having enough upside for us to not be willing to spend what it may take. I do prefer him over Stocker for sure though! Cutting Graham I just want so much...but it fiscally makes terrible sense...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not for what he'd cost.

Odell would probably cost the team at least the 30th pick and would then count $16.75m against the cap in his first year; however, his cap number would actually fall every year after that to a low of $13.75m in 2023. So, while the first year is rather large, he's actually a pretty good value cap-wise considering his talent and age.

I know that some here don't seem to think that any player is ever worth a first round pick (unless said player has never played professional football before) but I tend to think that some players might actually be worth it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Give me Barrett.

1) He will actually make it to market, unlike many of the names on that list.

2) He has been very productive on a per snap basis.

3) He's young and ascending.

4) The fact that he hasn't been a full time player should keep his cost down compared to guys like Preston Smith.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw Daniels on the football channel. He is a great guy and loves GB. I would like to keep him. I think he can still play but we need others in the trenches that can come in.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odell would probably cost the team at least the 30th pick and would then count $16.75m against the cap in his first year; however, his cap number would actually fall every year after that to a low of $13.75m in 2023. So, while the first year is rather large, he's actually a pretty good value cap-wise considering his talent and age.

I know that some here don't seem to think that any player is ever worth a first round pick (unless said player has never played professional football before) but I tend to think that some players might actually be worth it.

I don't think there is any way you get OBJ for a single 1st round pick and certainly not #30. The Raiders got a #1 from the cowboys for Cooper and they wanted to trade him. I'm not sure the Giants are that motivated to move on.

As far as no players worth a 1st round pick you forgot another category besides those who never played professional football. That would be Packer players. They are always worth at least a first rounder. I would venture to guess that somewhere out there are fans who think we should have traded Matthews and Cobb last year for first rounders. Of course those fans probably still think we should even though they are FAs so what they think probably doesn't matter. You are right though, some fans would never think of giving up a first rounder for the likes of OBJ, Brown or Mack. Probably the same ones.

I think OBJ is definitely worth the #30 pick. I don't know if I would do it but he would be worth it.

H

HardRightEdge

Give me Barrett.

1) He will actually make it to market, unlike many of the names on that list.

2) He has been very productive on a per snap basis.

3) He's young and ascending.

4) The fact that he hasn't been a full time player should keep his cost down compared to guys like Preston Smith.
Yeah, factoring in age, cost and progression, Barrett would be a good choice among those with a good chance of being available. His 3 sacks, 7 QB hits, 6 tackles for loss and 22 solo tackles last season may appear underwhelming, but that was on a 26% defensive snap count (275 D snaps) which shows progression from his 4/12/7/30 on a 67% snap count (667 snaps) in 2017. The cautionary note is whether the progression is a function of playing fresh under the low snap count in 2018. Still, his pressure grade in 2017 was above average.

Za'Darious Smith fits age/cost criteria with a breakout in 2018, but he's in the mold of a 4-3 DE. With Petine liking to mix it up with OLBs dropping in coverage, this is not that guy. There's also the risk that he won't take to a stand-up role.

Flowers would be the optimal fit but more expensive than Barrett. I think he'd be worth the money. He's productive and versatile, with the versatility a big plus in the Pettine D. It's hard to think Belichick won't go a long way in trying to keep him. He's the current version of Ninkovich, a defensive anchor with versatility, around whom Belichick can shuffle the other roster pieces as is his habit. The possibility of Flowers being available has some scant life from the standpoint of New England's current $177 mil cap committment to their top 51. However, he's got a ton of guys with meaningful cap savings if cut.

Clark would be another possibility meeting the youth criteria, but Seattle has only $138 mil committed to their top 51. It is hard to imagine him ending up anywhere but Seattle.

Lawrence, Clowney and Ford are going to be ridiculously expensive, may not be available, and I have serious questions as to whether Clowney or Ford would play up to the contract.

If this were 2014, fairly perceived as a legit championship contender at this stage of the offseason, when Thompson signed Peppers for a push over the top, then Wake at age 37 or Graham at age 31 might be good choices. This is not that.

H

HardRightEdge

I just saw Daniels on the football channel. He is a great guy and loves GB. I would like to keep him. I think he can still play but we need others in the trenches that can come in.
Daniels' play has fallen off the last 1 1/2 seasons but he's still a decent player. 2019 is the last year of his contract: $10.7 mil cap hit, $8.3 mil cap savings if cut. Is he worth keeping? The answer would be "no" if that cap number was the average over the next 4 years with that amount of savings. On a one year basis, with no dead cap overhang risk and the current state of the D-Line depth, there are reasons nobody anywhere puts him on the possible cut list except me.

I have a couple of questions about Daniels which keeps him at least toward the bottom of my list of potential cuts besides the fall off in performance.

Is Daniels really a clubhouse leader? Or is he a loudmouth while the other guys say, "that's just Mike"? I don't know, I'm not in the room, but I can't say I find his "inspirational" comments over the years ringing all that inspiring to me. While the QB face of the franchise is forced to talk whether he wants to or not, I would prefer my D-Linemen talking softly and carrying a big stick, e.g., Kenny Clark. These guys have no idea what is going on at level 2 or 3 and don't have much business talking about overall defensive performance. Further, Daniel's stick is not what it was when he signed this contract.

He ended last year with a foot injury. No surgery, evidently, but the nature of the injury was not disclosed. How bad is it? The impact of foot injuries is often understated.

As of Dec. 31, Clark was eligible for an extension per the CBA as was Adams at the end of his 3rd. season when he was extended. If the Packers are working to lock him up now, his cap number will go up significantly from his current $3 mil. With Daniels in his contract year, one has to ask whether he'll be a priority re-signing at this time next year. If one concludes, "probably not", then it might make sense to take the Daniels cap savings now, apply that to Clark's new contract, leaving the remaining cap to shore up other areas.

It's a good draft class for D-Linemen, probably down to #44.

The question is how depleted of aging vets is this management willing to go in a "two steps backward" 2019 for a "3 steps forward" 2020? Not as willing as I am, I would surmise. I don't think Murphy, Gutekunst, et. al., would be all that keen about missing the playoffs again let alone anoher losing season. The fans would be howling. But I could be surpirsed at what is revealed to be the management view of 2019 as we go forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Hard Right...it is going to be an interesting off season and draft.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if we bring Mike Pennel back. He did good with the Jets.
I liked Mike Pennel as a player right from the start of his rookie preseason, one of those Thompson UDFA value signings. He was not an athletic guy at all, rather an old school brute NT who could not be moved off his spot on a double team and could work off single teams to the ball carrier. He had no moves rushing the passer, just a brute force, pocket-pushing bull rush. But as a base D rotational run defender he was very good when he was with the Packers.

I didn't even know he was still in the league until you mentioned him here. A PFF grade of 87.1 this season? I'm not sure if that is more or less surprising than Lawrence Guy's 90.2 PFF grade (a Thompson 7th. round pick), those grades per these back door links:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/mike-pennel/9316

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/lawrence-guy/6385

Pennel earned that grade on a 32% snap count, consistent with his profile as strictly a base D player.

He definitely would be cheap as a rotational addition and at 28 years old, having played low snap counts during his career, he's a young 28.

Here's the thing. Pennel was the only player in the McCarthy era (or maybe Packer history?) to be suspended twice in the same season. That was 2016, 4 games at the start of the season and again at the end, for performance enhancing drugs. He was cut in early January of 2017 before the ink was dry on that season. While he's been clean (or not caught) the last two years, playing all 16 games for the Jets both years, do you think Packer management would want to go back there? I'd be surprised if they did.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes Hard Right...it is going to be an interesting off season and draft.
Yes, yes it is. Even if the FA period proves uneventful from the standpoint of vet cuts and a big name signing, that in itself will be interesting.

H

HardRightEdge

A word about Brown, Beckham and Bell.

Even if they were affordable and represented the good long term value their deals will demand, which is not the case, there is another consideration.

Ask yourself the question, "why was McCarthy fired?" If one thinks it was just about friction with The Franchise or a stale offensive scheme, that would be a mistake.

The other factors are "lack of accountability". That's a euphemism that implies, among other things, lack of discipline and not buying into team concepts. How do those three players measure up in the "do your job" and "there is no "I" in team" calculation? Not well at all. Those expressions may be hackneyed cliches, but it is very hard to win without them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah, factoring in age, cost and progression, Barrett would be a good choice among those with a good chance of being available. His 3 sacks, 7 QB hits, 6 tackles for loss and 22 solo tackles last season may appear underwhelming, but that was on a 26% defensive snap count (275 D snaps) which shows progression from his 4/12/7/30 on a 67% snap count (667 snaps) in 2017. The cautionary note is whether the progression is a function of playing fresh under the low snap count in 2018. Still, his pressure grade in 2017 was above average.

Za'Darious Smith fits age/cost criteria with a breakout in 2018, but he's in the mold of a 4-3 DE. With Petine liking to mix it up with OLBs dropping in coverage, this is not that guy. There's also the risk that he won't take to a stand-up role.

Flowers would be the optimal fit but more expensive than Barrett. I think he'd be worth the money. He's productive and versatile, with the versatility a big plus in the Pettine D. It's hard to think Belichick won't go a long way in trying to keep him. He's the current version of Ninkovich, a defensive anchor with versatility, around whom Belichick can shuffle the other roster pieces as is his habit. The possibility of Flowers being available has some scant life from the standpoint of New England's current $177 mil cap committment to their top 51. However, he's got a ton of guys with meaningful cap savings if cut.

Clark would be another possibility meeting the youth criteria, but Seattle has only $138 mil committed to their top 51. It is hard to imagine him ending up anywhere but Seattle.

Lawrence, Clowney and Ford are going to be ridiculously expensive, may not be available, and I have serious questions as to whether Clowney or Ford would play up to the contract.

If this were 2014, fairly perceived as a legit championship contender at this stage of the offseason, when Thompson signed Peppers for a push over the top, then Wake at age 37 or Graham at age 31 might be good choices. This is not that.

Have I missed something on Flowers? I know he's good, and I can't claim to have watched him a ton, but my impression has always been that he's pretty much a straight up 43DE. I haven't seen the aforementioned versatility.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wonder if we bring Mike Pennel back. He did good with the Jets.

With the way that Tyler Lancaster came on down the stretch, I would think they would just roll him with him behind Clark.

Maybe the Lions would like him. They seem to be cornering the market on really good run defending iDL. They're going to be soooo good in 1991.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Lancaster. Was doing some good things as a first year guy with a lot to learn. I like Pennel when he was here too, thought he was growing into a nice story, worked his way up. Consistent improvement etc. But then he missed half a season with suspensions to start and end it. One because of PED's. so just how much was that attributed to his improvement? At this point I'd rather go with someone else too. at the very least, Lancaster is a rotational guy, but i'd like to give him time to grow and someone else behind him a shot.

H

HardRightEdge

Have I missed something on Flowers? I know he's good, and I can't claim to have watched him a ton, but my impression has always been that he's pretty much a straight up 43DE. I haven't seen the aforementioned versatility.
PFF logged Flowers' 2018 snaps as follows:

Edge: 479
Over Tackle: 63
Over Guard: 133
Over Center: 43

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He's not versatile in a purportedly Matthews kind of way, occationally drop-and-run with a RB or TE or playing ILB, neither of which he did very well, the kinds of things Capers asked him to do and which he wasn't all that good at.

I see him as versatile in a Peppers kind of way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
PFF logged Flowers' 2018 snaps as follows:

Edge: 479
Over Tackle: 63
Over Guard: 133
Over Center: 43

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He's not versatile in a purportedly Matthews kind of way, occationally drop-and-run with a RB or TE or playing ILB, neither of which he did very well, the kinds of things Capers asked him to do and which he wasn't all that good at.

I see him as vertile in a Peppers kind of way.

Ok, yeah that makes sense. I did know that he reduces inside at times.

So my question is this-- why would Trey Flowers be the optimal fit while Za'Darius Smith wouldn't work?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts