Free Agents - Safety,CB and others

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our biggest need on defense is our Cbs and safety position. We all (pretty much) know our LB position and Dline will be taken care of in the draft(which will give us NIck and AJ at least. Or maybe Mario. I hope. work with me here)

As I was looking at scout.scout.com (goto nfl FA) They had a list of RFAs and UFAs.

Here are some of the Safeties I would like to be considered strongly by TT:

Adam Archuleta
Idrees Bashir
Corey Chavous* - I really want him. I know hes a vike, but I like him.
Lance Schulters
Dexter Jackson

Those are probably the top 5 guys I see on the list that would make an impact(on the field, and OFF the field, with Nick)

Since the Ahmad Caroll abortion(i mean experiment) seems to be all but over (if TT cut joey thomas, why would he keep another GMs crappy,undersized CB who has a horrible attitude?) ..

These are some of the CBs I would like to be considered strongly by TT:

Nate Clements
Jerry Azumha* - might have lost a step, but better than carroll
Will Allen
Jamar Fletcher
Ricky Manning Jr* - I want a manning, damnit
Deshea Townsend*- I like him a lot, and hes not high on the CB list
RW McQuarters - I still think he can contribute to a team. Better than carroll

This list is going with the assumption that Carroll is gone and Mike Hawkins hasnt panned out yet. I hope Hawk does, but i have no faith in young CBs anymore (thanks carroll)

Other FAs of note:

Anthony Thomas - rb
Antoin Smith - rb
Marc Boerigter -wr - hes a big target
brandon lloyd -rfa- wr
steve martin -dt - hes fat...so if we lose grady..
scott fujita- OLB
keith adams - OLB
--------------

things I noticed:

Kampman is #2 on their DE list. I hope we can re-sign him and not break the bank. I wouldnt blame TT if he let kamp go, as much as that would hurt. I loooove kampy!

There are almost 0 quality Guards! Hutchinson is the only one, and someone will pay out of the *** for him, and I dont want to be that team. I think we can fix our guard spots without getting him.

William Henderson only got 2 stars(ufa)! how disrespectful is that? once again....'experts' my ***. HE may be getting old, but he still leaps over defenders. Someone go tell willie he is old...
---

this is just my opinion...so go ahead and check out the list at scout.scout.com or whatever, and see who is out there.

I really think we need to get a CB or safety(or both) from the mentioned list.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we go for a safety, I'm going for Chris Hope from Pittsburg. He actually had more tackles and int's than Palomalu and he's only 25.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my friend was showing me archuletas workout routine. the dude is amazingly strong..and although thats not a real reason to get someone on your team at safety position, it impressed me...and i like him next to nick.

chris hope is an option too. he wasnt even rated. see...gotta love the 'experts.'

I will officially be wagging my finger at TT if he doesnt get one of these guys. Unless he drafts another good safety(i still want a VET to TEACH though)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Hope would be a damn fine FA pickup, and much cheaper than Archuletta. I have not watched Archuletta much, but I read an article that stated he is a glory hound. He likes to make the knockout hit and cherry pick for interceptions, while forgetting his defensive assignments. That sounds an awful like someone we let go of last year.

Hope would be a good center fielder for the Packers and would free up Nick to freelance some.

The thing about our safeties in this system is that they both need coverage skills. Our safeties do not necessarily need to be the "eighth guy in the box". I have longed for a Chuck Cecil reincarnation, but football has changed and that slow big hitting safety isn't in as much demand anymore.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not a big fan of Archuleta, i've heard my Rams buddies rag on him way too much...second hand info of course, i don't watch Rams games.

Nate Clements is a bad ***, young too. he'll carry a hefty paycheck though.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clements is a stud, but corners like him will get a huge payday in free agency. I doubt TT will give him what he wants. Townsend is really the only other corner I like on that list. If the price was right I wouldn't mind TT signing him.

Chris Hope looks like the best safety available, if he hits the market. He's not quite the playmaker Polamalu is, but he's a solid starter and at his age has a ton of good years left.

The guy I really like is Will Witherspoon. He's really fast, not that old, and we're keeping Bates scheme from last year so a fast linebacker like him should thrive.

Members online

Latest posts