Free Agents - Pick 7 Players

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is one name on this list besides the obvious that strikes me - James Starks. If you want a healthy Predator, Starks is a better compliment than either Harris or Franklin.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jermichael Finley TE - most likely career ending injury. gone
Ryan Pickett DE - too old, gone.
B.J. Raji NT - big bust. gone.
James Jones WR - proven commodity. sign.
John Kuhn FB - too valuable blocking. keep cheap.
Sam Shields CB - best db on team. sign.
Andrew Quarless TE - viable option.
Marshall Newhouse OT - NEVER.
Evan Dietrich-Smith C - Just a guy, but an option.
Michael Neal DE/OLB - Just a guy. gone.
Rob Francois ILB - has played in spots. optional for backup duty/st.
Johnny Jolly DE - He is a priority. sign.
James Starks RB - great compliment to Lacy. sign.
C.J. Wilson DE - depth player no push. gone.
Jamari Lattimore ILB - Just a guy. gone.
M.D. Jennings S - NEVER
Seneca Wallace QB - NEVER
Matt Flynn QB - have to have a decent backup, sign cheap.
Kahlil Bell RB - aged. gone.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would pick:

1. Sam Shields - The obvious detrimental effects of him leaving outweigh the possibility of him wanting market value. He's worth more to us than anyone else because he provides some experience in this system

2. Matt Flynn - This seems pretty obvious to me, providing he will stay for a cheap contract. Again, he is worth FAR more to us than any other team.

3. Johnny Jolly - If medically cleared, he would seem to be the best value of the linemen. Also seems to provide a morale boost to the team.

4. John Kuhn - His resigning would depend almost entirely on the price. Frankly, he's not worth a great deal skill-wise

5. Evan Dietrich-Smith - Solidarity and familiarity are the most important things in an O-Line. Give him a contract.

6. Ryan Pickett- For the price, he's a big, experienced body. He shouldn't cost much.

7a. Michael Neal - He has shown some improvement. For the right price, keep him.

7b. Jermichael Finley - By most considerations, he's all but gone. However, he does possess physical talents beyond those of any of our other receivers and his replacement will almost certainly be a downgrade. However, he's coming off a serious injury, has almost certainly deteriorated physically, and still wants money. If we can get him to sign an incentive-laden contract, I'd like to see him return.

Shields is the only one deserving of a big contract.

superquest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Sam Shields - Our best DB period.

2) Jermichael Finley - If medically cleared. Was having a great year before injury. If he's gone we have to get one of the big 3 TE's coming out this year in the 1st rd.

3) James Starks - Is the perfect compliment to Lacy.

4) James Jones - Good 2nd, third option.

5) John Kuhn - One of the best blocking and pass receiving FB's.

6) Mike Neal - Very versatile player on D.

7) Matt Flynn - Decent back up QB who knows the system.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that we have to resign both Jordy and Cobb soon...and with the upcoming draft I think we re-sign the following players:

Shields-He should definitely be resigned unless his asking price is more than 7-8 million-which may happen if another team drives up his cost. As I see it he is definitely an excellent corner-but IMO I wouldn't pay more than 7-8 million to keep him. I think the Packers will get a deal worked out with him though.
Neal- Others may not think so, but I think he is a must sign especially if the Packers stick with the 3-4 which I believe they will. I think they will have to choose between Neal and James Jones and they will choose Neal. In a passing league, pass rushers are hard to come by and they make the secondary better. He should get a few million-maybe 2-3ish per year. He was healthy for almost all of last season and had a decent year with 5 sacks as his first as an OLB. I think he will only get better with time. His body seems to support this playing weight much better than when he was 295ish...less injuries as his body isn't carrying too much weight. Decent player and basically was our starting OLB last year. Holds up well against the run and pass rush should get better. Good player to have and we don't want to create another need going into next season.

Jolly-I thought he was our best run defender this past season and he has at least some pass rush. I think he'll get the vet minimum on a one-year deal.

Quarless-He's a decent blocker and not a bad receiver and shouldn't be too expensive to re-sign.

Lattimore-I think he will be back as he is good special teamer and is a restricted free agent so he can only negotiate with the Packers.

Kuhn-I think he is valuable because he knows the offense as well as anyone. He is a decent 3rd down short yardage back on the quick hit dives and can pass protect Rodgers....see final play of Packers vs. Bears for NFC North title. I think the Packers bring him back on a one-year vet. minimum deal.

Replaced:

Raji- I think some team will offer him more money than the Packers are offering. Raji has great ability for a DL, but average to poor play last year. Not consistent just flashes here and there.

Jones-I would like him back he has chemistry with Rodgers and knows the offense...but with the $ the Packers will have to pay Jordy and Cobb I don't see it happening. Too much $ invested there and the Packers have a cheaper option with an emerging WR in Boykin. I think TT will also look to draft another younger cheaper good WR in the draft.

EDS-Tretter is being groomed to take EDS's spot. The Packers save a couple million dollars here-which they are going to need. I think Tretter is bigger and more athletic than EDS and just needs some practice/training camp to get the calls down and the timing. An upgrade isn't necessarily needed here, as EDS is a decent player, but I think given a little practice time Tretter will be an upgrade both in ability and cost.

Finley-His neck injury probably ends his career and he is done with Packers.

MD Jennings-He was unreliable in coverage and not enough sand in the pants to be a good tackler.

Starks- I like Starks and I think he is a good complement to Lacy with his slashing style, but someone likely will pay him few million bucks which is more than we can afford to pay for a complementary back. We have other players to pay soon and we have Harris coming back who also had a good yard per carry average when he was healthy. TT will probably will bring in a late draft pick or UDFA as well.

Matt Flynn-I know people will say he came in and helped us...which he did...but Tolzein has better physical attributes IMO. Tolzein has the better arm and I think the Packers go with him as the backup-especially with a full offseason of work. Flynn probably will be available as a street free agent anyway should he ever be needed again in the future.

Pickett-getting long in the tooth and there are others like Jolly, Boyd (and a draft pick) who will take over Pickett's job as a run stopper.

Last edited:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
There is one name on this list besides the obvious that strikes me - James Starks. If you want a healthy Predator, Starks is a better compliment than either Harris or Franklin.
Yeah, I really like Starks too. I think he finally hit his stride this year. I would rather keep him on board with Franklin. Harris was good the few games he played but...

I think two things factor into Starks return. How much do they think Franklin will make the jump next season and if we choose to retain both Shields and Jones.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In order of preference:
  1. Shields - 'Draft-and-develop' is meaningless if you let a 27 year old corner with tremendous speed, ball skills and obvious dedication to improving his game leave in free agency. Guy is still learning to play the position since he only moved to corner as a senior in college.
  2. Ryan Pickett - No other 'true' NT under contract. Boyd could eventually take over but until he does, I don't want to lose the only proven NT on the roster, especially since he should come cheap.
  3. EDS - PFF's eight rated center in the league. He's still young and he shouldn't break the bank. Not sure I want to start a third straight season with a different center.
  4. Johnny Jolly - Need to keep some vets that won't kill the team on the dline, otherwise there's just too much unproven youth. He shouldn't cost much.
  5. James Jones - Just looking at performance he should be higher. However, he'll cost a decent amount and WR isn't a position we have the luxury of overspending on. With Cobb, Boykin and Nelson we have three good-to-great WRs. No reason to keep a fourth around when the money can be better spend on defense.
  6. I don't care - those are the only five guys I have a solid opinion on. At the right price I'd keep the others too but at that point it just becomes about the value.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is our best cover corner and has held up nicely against some of the top wr's in the league. Bring him back..we don't have the safties to make up for a good cover corner not being on the roster.

Matt Flynn has done enough to be the backup here..at least for next year. Without him there is no playoff loss at home.

Jame Jones is a nice compliment to Jordy Nelson. Jones is experienced and he knows the offense. Bring him back.

John Kuhn is a do it all fullback unfortunately he still needs to take a paycut. Still would like to see him back tho.

Johnny Jolly is needed for his nasty and play hard mentality. Bring him back if he's healthy.

Everybody else can be replaced imo. Via draft or whoever is on the current roster.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how everyone is overlooking Jamari Lattimore. He made more plays than Brad Jones did as a starter. In my opinion, Lattimore, EDS, Shields, Jolly and/ or Pickett, Quarless, and Flynn should be resigned. Why worry about JJ when we have Cobb and Jordy to worry about next offseason? I'd be more concerned about extending their contracts before they put up monster seasons next year. Besides, we have Boykin and I like the raw attributes Myles White has. Dude has crazy speed (straight line and agile).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and as a bold prediction, a little off topic, I predict Lattimore to make an offseason push and become the starter next to AJ Hawk at the other ILB position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't understand how everyone is overlooking Jamari Lattimore. He made more plays than Brad Jones did as a starter. In my opinion, Lattimore, EDS, Shields, Jolly and/ or Pickett, Quarless, and Flynn should be resigned. Why worry about JJ when we have Cobb and Jordy to worry about next offseason? I'd be more concerned about extending their contracts before they put up monster seasons next year. Besides, we have Boykin and I like the raw attributes Myles White has. Dude has crazy speed (straight line and agile).

Because Jones has better instincts and cover skills than Lattimore. Lattimore is an undersized 2 down LB who needs to see the play. Most of us remember how terrible bad he looked in the last game he started.

H

HardRightEdge

Because Jones has better instincts and cover skills than Lattimore. Lattimore is an undersized 2 down LB who needs to see the play. Most of us remember how terrible bad he looked in the last game he started.
Yeah, he gets lost in coverage.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's something that can be fixed and worked on in the offseason. His motor flying to the ball is an instinct that jones will never have.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That's something that can be fixed and worked on in the offseason. His motor flying to the ball is an instinct that jones will never have.

Both Jones and Lattimore lack any form of instincts all together. Watch the last game he started. He didn't "fly to the ball" very well at all.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does nobody remember his 12 tackle, 1 sack game versus Cleveland. If we're going to use one game to determine a player's instincts and skills, you might as well use that one. He flew to the ball more than any other defender during that game. Even the announcers were giving him credit. A performance like that should at least spark some hope that he has a promising future. I do agree about his lack of coverage skills though.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying he will become what Bishop was when healthy for us, but he will make a push as a starter this offseason. The way he played against Cleveland made everyone question why jones was above him anyway.

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Starks is severely underrated. At times he looks better than Lacy, at the very least more explosive. Although I think Franklin would serve as a great compliment to Lacy - kind of the thunder and lightning strategy

H

HardRightEdge

Starks is a nice runner when healthy. He runs hard and upright...and gets hurt. Lacy sprains an ankle, goes back to the locker room where they do what they do, and comes back and plays. Starks may hold some kind of record for sprained knees...where he disappears for weeks at a time. I wouldn't count on him for anything. And he's a free agent.

Franklin cannot break a tackle which is not a good look in this offense...he reminds me a lot of Brandon Jackson, another 3rd. down back who couldn't get yards after contact. I wouldn't count on him for too much.

Harris is the change of pace guy for Lacy provided he comes back sound from the knee.

Members online

Latest posts