Free Agent Terminology

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is quasi-Packer related: How would one classify players acquired mid-season, added to practice squads, etc. There are several categories that most player acquisitions fall into:

UnDrafted Rookie Free Agents (example: Sam Shields)
Rookie Minicamp Tryout Players (no examples?)
Veteran Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ex: Chris Banjo, although he was re-signed and not from another team)
Veteran Restricted Free Agent (no examples?)
Veteran UnRestricted Free Agent (ex: Charles Woodson)
Street Free Agent (ex: Julius Peppers)
Waivers: (ex: Howard Green)
Trades: (ex: Ryan Grant)

How would you describe the likes of Samkon Gado or Tramon Williams? Were they Rookie Free Agents. What about second year players without a team that are signed?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know, any practice squad player is a free agent. So are asking what do we call PS players that change teams mid season? I just call them all PS until they eventually make the 53. Even if you bring them to your PS, they are still a free agent able to be signed anywhere.

Oh, and to the 2nd part, yeah those guys with no teams in any year are free agents. But let's face it, if it's not a guy signed day one with a name everyone recognizes, they don't count to a lot of fans, why? I don't know, its almost as if those other guys aren't free to sign with whomever they'd like either at anytime like big names are?

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh, and to the 2nd part, yeah those guys with no teams in any year are free agents. But let's face it, if it's not a guy signed day one with a name everyone recognizes, they don't count to a lot of fans, why? I don't know, its almost as if those other guys aren't free to sign with whomever they'd like either at anytime like big names are?

That's because most of these guys never even play a single down in the NFL.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts