1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Free Agent OLB??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by bubblercheez37, Jan 26, 2012.

1. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    The idea of one guy "moving ahead" of another guy is a bit dated, IMO. The game just doesn't work that way anymore. The question isn't if he can/will move ahead. It's "Can he find his spot/role on the team?"

• Like Like x 2
  2. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    1) Cobb is more UNproven than Gurley?

2) The Packers are going to play an undrafted free agent receiver with 0 NFL catches ahead of a second round pick?

3. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    JLC is right about Cobb- he's the proven asset at this point. But he's just not a guy that can regularly line up as a flanker outside; that's where a guy like Gurley may find his opportunity. You'll probably see Tori on special teams before that, however.

Bozz is right about guys finding their role. The depth chart doesn't work like seniority at a union job...

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    This thread is supposed to be about OLBs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    It's been hijacked!

6. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'm just saying Cobb hasn't exactly locked up a wide receiver spot. He's had a lot of fumbles. He's no sure bet at this point.

And Mike McCarthy has proven in the past that where a guy is drafted doesn't matter. We've seen a lot of free agents come in and play. He will put the guy on the field who he believes is best. Is Brohm (where is he by the way???) playing ahead of Flynn. Is Pat Lee playing ahead of Shields?

7. bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8

LOL you probably get this alot...but I just saw your avatar (profile pic) and a just starting laughing in my cube. Thank you for starting my Monday off right haha

8. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Cobb will replace Donald Driver in the slot. Cobb has Percy Harvin written all over him. Cobb's playing time can only increase.

9. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Hope so.:cool:

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I've mentioned his Harvin-esque skill set and body type. I hope he develops into the player I think he can be.

11. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    I'd like the Packers to expand his role. Use him out of the backfield... Give him a reverse once in a while... Give him a trick play. I think the full offseason with the Packers will help expand his role in the offense.

12. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11
    For an OLB, he couldn't stay healthy much this year, but I'm a real good judge of linebackers going back to being able to see in his first camp that Brian Noble was at least a starter if not 'special', and I think honestly we don't need to chase an OLB in free agency, we HAVE the guy opposite Matthews in So'Oto

13. claybillings

claybillings Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure anyone has mentioned Ahmad Brooks from the SF 49ers. They have Aldon Smith now, so it would make sense that they wouldn't want to pay him big dollars to stay. He is certainly an above-average OLB from a successful 3-4 system.

14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I would love Ahmad Brooks too, but he might be too old for Teddy to pursue. I think Ted prefers his meat fresher.
    He always errs on the side of youth. Always.

Give me Jerry Hughes at OLB.