Free Agent OLB??

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of OLB's we might target during Free Agency?? This can be bargains no one has thought of or high priced free agents TT will never touch. I just haven't heard anything about the OLB free agent class this year...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just posted in the Mike Neal thread about the possibility of Cliff Avril being released from Detroit and possibly turning into an OLB for the Pack

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Besides Mario Williams the only other one I know of that plays OLB in a 3-4 is Anthony Spencer

OP
OP
bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah that sounds about right....and from what I'm reading about the draft, outside of upshaw and perry, the OLB is weak as well. Marcilus has alot of upside but comes with risk

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of OLB's we might target during Free Agency?? This can be bargains no one has thought of or high priced free agents TT will never touch. I just haven't heard anything about the OLB free agent class this year...

Ummm, none?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all I could find...

Outside Linebacker Julian Peterson (SLB in 4-3/OLB in 3-4)
Ben Leber (SLB in 3-4)
Tully Banta-Cain (SLB in 4-3/OLB in 3-4)
Pierre Woods (SLB in 4-3/OLB in 3-4)
Sam Williams (SLB/OLB in 3-4)
Jyles Tucker (SLB in 4-3/OLB in 3-4)
Jamar Williams (SLB)
Shawn Crable (SLB/OLB in 3-4)
Vernon Golston (DE in 4-3/OLB in 3-4)
Quentin Moses (SLB in 4-3/OLB in 3-4)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anthony Spencer is the only real guy.
Again, don't forget the name Jerry Hughes.

I talked with Bob McGinn last week about Hughes' situation, and he said that his sources 2 years ago prior to that 2010 draft indicated to him that there was a good chance Teddy would take him..... but then the unexpected happened and Bryan Bulaga slid all the way out of the top 10..... to us at like what, 25 or somewhere down there, and he was a future need and a perfect addition to the White Wall.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Anthony Spencer is the only real guy.
Again, don't forget the name Jerry Hughes.

I talked with Bob McGinn last week about Hughes' situation, and he said that his sources 2 years ago prior to that 2010 draft indicated to him that there was a good chance Teddy would take him..... but then the unexpected happened and Bryan Bulaga slid all the way out of the top 10..... to us at like what, 25 or somewhere down there, and he was a future need and a perfect addition to the White Wall.

Things could be getting interesting in Indy. Pagano might switch the Colts to a 3-4. If this is the case I think they may keep Hughes and try to convert him. And if this is also the direction of the D I think they may re-sign Robert Mathis.

Who knows. One of the Colts pass rushers some speculate could be available in a trade INCLUDING Dwight Freeney. If they let Peyton go (and most think they do) they might just go in a full on youth movement.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Remembered I had subscribed to scout.com sometime last year so went and checked it out. They had a really good piece about our Cap. Seems we may not have a whole lot of money to spend on FA's. This is basically what the article says.

The Packers have $116.691 million dedicated to the 60 players they have under contract for 2012. The cap will be about $125 million. This year and next year, teams are allowed to roll over any unspent money from the previous year’s cap. The Packers finished 2011 about $6.627 million under the cap. the Packers’ cap for the upcoming season would increase to $130.627 million. The Packers would have $13.936 million of cap space.
That won’t last long. The Packers have eight unrestricted free agents. If the Packers wind up using the franchise tag on Finley, that will run somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.5 million. Wells counted $3.1 million against the cap this season.Bush, had a cap charge of $1.733 million this season, Grant, who counted $3.797 million under his reworked deal, played well enough down the stretch to merit consideration for a one- or two-year deal, as well.
With 60 players under contract, the Packers need to add 20 players to get to the offseason limit of 80. They will have 12 draft picks and will fill out the roster. Signing a free agent now has ramifications on the roster down the line. The most noteworthy of the Packers’ 2012 free agents is Jennings.Packers will make him their No.1 priority for an in-season contract extension, which means they need to stay far enough below the cap to strike a deal. Lang (unrestricted), Shields (restricted) Masthay (restricted) also need new deals after 2012, and what about A-ROD?
To create cap space, Thompson faces tough decisions on Clifton(cap figure of $5.703 million would be totally eliminated) and Driver (cap figure of $5 million would be totally eliminated). Collins with an uncertain future because of a neck injury, has a cap figure of $5.05 million for 2012 and $5.95 million for 2013, though the team would be on the hook for $2 million of his prorated signing bonus.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remembered I had subscribed to scout.com sometime last year so went and checked it out. They had a really good piece about our Cap. Seems we may not have a whole lot of money to spend on FA's. This is basically what the article says.

The Packers have $116.691 million dedicated to the 60 players they have under contract for 2012. The cap will be about $125 million. This year and next year, teams are allowed to roll over any unspent money from the previous year’s cap. The Packers finished 2011 about $6.627 million under the cap. the Packers’ cap for the upcoming season would increase to $130.627 million. The Packers would have $13.936 million of cap space.
That won’t last long. The Packers have eight unrestricted free agents. If the Packers wind up using the franchise tag on Finley, that will run somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.5 million. Wells counted $3.1 million against the cap this season.Bush, had a cap charge of $1.733 million this season, Grant, who counted $3.797 million under his reworked deal, played well enough down the stretch to merit consideration for a one- or two-year deal, as well.
With 60 players under contract, the Packers need to add 20 players to get to the offseason limit of 80. They will have 12 draft picks and will fill out the roster. Signing a free agent now has ramifications on the roster down the line. The most noteworthy of the Packers’ 2012 free agents is Jennings.Packers will make him their No.1 priority for an in-season contract extension, which means they need to stay far enough below the cap to strike a deal. Lang (unrestricted), Shields (restricted) Masthay (restricted) also need new deals after 2012, and what about A-ROD?
To create cap space, Thompson faces tough decisions on Clifton(cap figure of $5.703 million would be totally eliminated) and Driver (cap figure of $5 million would be totally eliminated). Collins with an uncertain future because of a neck injury, has a cap figure of $5.05 million for 2012 and $5.95 million for 2013, though the team would be on the hook for $2 million of his prorated signing bonus.

Great post. This is why we don't sign high priced free-agents. Instead we re-sign our own free agents, thereby keeping the band together, usually at a reasonable price.

After getting pulled in the divisional game of the playoffs, I don't expect Clifton to be back. He's just too banged up and we have guys we need to start developing. Collins said he would let the team know in March if he'll be able to play football again or not. As for Driver, I have mixed emotions. I believe he still has quite a bit left in the tank, and he's been a great Packer, but the NFL is a youth movement and he's not getting younger. I would hate seeing him play in another uniform, but such are the harsh realities of the NFL.

OP
OP
bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. This is why we don't sign high priced free-agents. Instead we re-sign our own free agents, thereby keeping the band together, usually at a reasonable price.

After getting pulled in the divisional game of the playoffs, I don't expect Clifton to be back. He's just too banged up and we have guys we need to start developing. Collins said he would let the team know in March if he'll be able to play football again or not. As for Driver, I have mixed emotions. I believe he still has quite a bit left in the tank, and he's been a great Packer, but the NFL is a youth movement and he's not getting younger. I would hate seeing him play in another uniform, but such are the harsh realities of the NFL.

I hope this Tori Gurley is as good as he's being hyped up to be. I would hate to see Driver released for a young guy that underperforms....at least thats what I assuming they will do if they release him

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this Tori Gurley is as good as he's being hyped up to be. I would hate to see Driver released for a young guy that underperforms....at least thats what I assuming they will do if they release him

I like to think there's a reason they gave him a raise to remain on the practice squad. I have no idea what his talent level is, but I have to trust our coaching staff and talent evaluators know what they have in him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree about Clifton, he's had a great career but I think it’s time to move on.

Regarding Driver, I think he will have to accept a substantial pay cut to stay. The biggest reason to keep him may be the leadership he provides to the WR group in particular and the locker room generally. Hard for us to measure that. BTW, the Packers gave the same raise to Diondre Borel that they gave Gurley to keep them on the PS (the Vikings wanted Gurley and the Bucs wanted Borel). Both received a “paltry” $25,000 per week to stay, according to one pay site. That same site wrote that Borel played the role of Victor Cruz, Devin Hestor, and “other slippery, speed-oriented receivers” in practice. Obviously he’s not at that level yet and may never get there. He has to add strength this off season and if he does so and if his switch from college QB to NFL WR goes smoothly, he may be a keeper, too. Unless his leadership ability is viewed as very important, I think it’s time to say a sad farewell to the great Donald Driver.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
driver was really the only receiver that showed up to play against the giants. I think he left it all on the field that game and it's time to cut ties with driver and clifton.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Driver won't be released because Gurley is ready to fill his shoes. He'd be released because Gurley has a high enough ceiling to warrant not letting him go now so he's there in the future. Gurley will not be a Packer if we keep Driver.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
driver was really the only receiver that showed up to play against the giants. I think he left it all on the field that game.
If the other guys had hands like Donald that day, we'd be 17-1 right now and about a 6-7 point betting favorite over the Patriots in XLVI.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver is done in Green Bay. It sucks and all, he's been a fantastic Packer...probably my favorite guy on the team right now. But it's time to move on...to many young, talented guys at the position to hold on to him.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What are the chances of Gurley even being a factor AT ALL? He's alreay behind Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Cobb for catches. That's not including rush plays and the return of Andrew Quarless. Gurley shouldn't even be a talking point. He's a non-factor for the upcoming season unless injuries hit.

Jariah

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Driver as well, I just hate knowing that this might be his last season with the pack. He is probably my all time fav. Packer back when I liked Favre more than I do now.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances of Gurley even being a factor AT ALL? He's alreay behind Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Cobb for catches. That's not including rush plays and the return of Andrew Quarless. Gurley shouldn't even be a talking point. He's a non-factor for the upcoming season unless injuries hit.

Gurley turned down a contract offer from the Vikings this season to stick with the Green Bay practice squad. He must like his chances...

Gurley is 6'4." Outside of Finley, we don't have a WR target that boasts that kind of height. JerMichael's hands have been shaky- and it's hardly inconceivable that we let him walk in free agency. Unless you're privy to something at practice, I think it's a bit early to dismiss Gurley's chances to contribute.

As far as talking points go, I would much rather chat about the prospects of some of the young guys like Tori Gurley than argue about whether Finley is worth franchising or speculate about FAs that TT probably won't extend an offer to.

Members online

Latest posts