Free Agency

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good article by Mike Vandermause regarding TT's philosophy, although I like this part and think that it rings true for the most part: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130319/PKR07/303190408

Some say the Packers are losing ground to their free-spending NFL brethren. In reality, many of those opponents are simply trying to stay competitive with the Packers and mortgaging their future in the process.
As for the teams the Packers must catch, like the San Francisco 49ers or Baltimore Ravens, Thompson will rely primarily on the draft, and the development of young players, to close the gap.
During the 2010 offseason, the Packers didn’t sign a single unrestricted free agent yet hoisted the Lombardi Trophy the following February. In 2011, they again didn’t sign any free agents yet posted a 15-1 regular-season record.
It’s hard to argue with Thompson’s roster-building approach and track record of success.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Huff's roots are at safety, and I can't see us signing him without the intent of starting him there. He's played CB and nickel when injuries dictated, not necessarily as a coaching preference. It would be good to have a guy with his kind of versatility.
I agree. I didn't mention Huff played CB because of injuries but the Packer Update piece did. IMO one of the things that made Nick Collins special at safety were his CB skills. Of course Huff isn't Collins or he'd be long gone or priced completely out of the Packers' plans. If you mean someone has to go upon the signing of Huff IMO it would almost have to be Bush because waiving Jennings or McMillian wouldn't save enough money or cap space. I don't see them giving up on a 4th rounder who stuck last year in McMillian. But if you mean Huff's addition would push one of those three out the door before the season starts, that could very well be true. Crabtree's loss dings the STs somewhat making Bush a little more valuable, but if they can find another gunner…
And just because you go out and get 4 or 5 El cheap-o's and they don't pan out and get cut makes it any better?
That's true but I still think it's a good practice. Neither Merling, Hargrove, or Muir lasted the season (Only Merling made it to opening day) but I don't think brining them in was a mistake. It should have increased competition and serve as insurance against an injury. And there was a chance one of them would have surprised on the upside. And of course Benson was an el cheap-o (for an "old" vet) and I would have loved to have seen how he would have progressed over an entire season. The ultimate el cheap-os are UDFA and the Packers have had success with them.

Having said that, I'm still hoping Thompson finds what he considers a bargain in UFA who isn't at the bottom of the pay scale. Huff is a great example. I'd prefer acquiring Huff to keeping G. Jennings or signing S. Jackson. And if he decides to also bring in a couple of el cheapo DL again, I'd be all for that too.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the "el cheapo" UDFAs such as Walden and Zombo were a big part of our Super Bowl victory. Yes, yes, Walden was terrible against Kaepernick and Zombo is also on his way out the door, but even a good year or two out of low-paid nobodies helps to keep our core players like Rodgers and Matthews paid.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ Right, but the El cheapo's are like playing russian roulette with 4 bullets missing out of the pistol, you have a much better chance of getting burned ( even if it is cheapo money ) lol

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do entirely agree with TT's philosophies on FA's, and the constant complaints from certain people when we aren't active gets really old.

I will say I'm surprised we didn't bite on either Canty or Jenkins, both of which signed for a reasonable 3 years/$8M.

H

HardRightEdge

I do entirely agree with TT's philosophies on FA's, and the constant complaints from certain people when we aren't active gets really old.

I will say I'm surprised we didn't bite on either Canty or Jenkins, both of which signed for a reasonable 3 years/$8M.

It has been my experience that commenting as in your second sentence draws a tedious lecture with the message of your first sentence. Well played!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
^ Right, but the El cheapo's are like playing russian roulette with 4 bullets missing out of the pistol, you have a much better chance of getting burned ( even if it is cheapo money ) lol
I'd rather get burned by a dollar menu player than one I'll be paying off for years. El cheapo's actually can't burn you much at all.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'd rather get burned by a dollar menu player than one I'll be paying off for years. El cheapo's actually can't burn you much at all.

???? huh ???? ok......

sign el cheap-o guy. He gets hurt. Musical chairs to replace him......sign another el-cheap-o, he does not work out, have to find a replacement.......That can really end up f*cking with the roster if they get hurt after the start of the regular season. Then a practice squad guys moves up or we go hunting for yet another replacement.

I understand injury crap will and does happen, but it is more or less about the el cheapo's not really working out that often. Would rather start out by buying a mid level car over some junk yard special, get my drift?

BTW, you actually made me LOL with "dollar menu player".....that's good, can I use that one?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand injury crap will and does happen, but it is more or less about the el cheapo's not really working out that often. Would rather start out by buying a mid level car over some junk yard special, get my drift?
Really? Sign mid level guy. He gets hurt. Musical chairs to replace him ... sign another mid-level guy, he does not work out, have to find a replacement... That can really end up f*cking with the roster if they get hurt after the start of the season...

Every player can get injured. The more money and cap room spent on that player the worse for the team. Of course el cheapos don't work out as often as higher paid players but even multi-million dollar free agents don't work out.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Really? Sign mid level guy. He gets hurt. Musical chairs to replace him ... sign another mid-level guy, he does not work out, have to find a replacement... That can really end up f*cking with the roster if they get hurt after the start of the season...

Every player can get injured. The more money and cap room spent on that player the worse for the team. Of course el cheapos don't work out as often as higher paid players but even multi-million dollar free agents don't work out.

I fully understand an injury can happen to anyone, but it just seems like in the past we sign guy x,y,z for the minimal salaries and most end up injured or just plain cut. It seems to me that it is more of a last minute shoot from the hip style choice of randon signings with hopes of one of them working out, but that rarely seems to happen. Not much thought process, more or less a grab bag type signing.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of examples of wasted money in that article. The only thing I am really upset with Thompson about is the Brad Jones contract. Hopefully it is backloaded and not guaranteed, because almost $4 million is just plain ridiculous. The fact that a lot of other teams did the same or worse doesn't justify it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article also refers to keeping your own. We have let a lot of our own walk the past few years.

But the article focuses on the bad signings. There are other free agent signings that have paid off. The same applies to the draft. There are good picks and bad picks made.

Here's an article listing the good and the bad free agent signings.

http://standard.net/stories/2013/03/10/list-nfl-teams-best-and-worst-free-agents

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fantastic article by Ty Dunne in te Jounal Sentinal this morning on Ted's approach to free agency, or more specifically, why he's wary of signing high priced, big name guys. In short: Only about half the signings over the past 6 seasons actually worked out and lived up to their contract value. The other half: Not so much. When you can get essentially the same level of production from new draftees, and for a fraction of the cost, what sense does it make to chase the big name, big dollar guy?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ents-for-a-good-reason-rq97qfd-199716801.html

No, Thompson shouldn't completely be off the hook from critics. One or two cost-efficient signings - a Chris Canty, a Cullen Jenkins, a short-term fix at a position of need - might certainly help. But as far as spending big in general goes, Thompson's restraint keeps the Packers out of trouble. Over a six-year study, Polian determined that 50% of free-agent signings panned out. Or, as he put it, the same rate as (much) cheaper, smart NFL draft picks.

EDIT: I didn't realize PoppaSan had already posted the same article, so sorry for the duplicate.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And just because you go out and get 4 or 5 El cheap-o's and they don't pan out and get cut makes it any better?

You pretty much proved the point of the article linked by PoppaSan and I: Only about half the free agent signings work out and live up to their contract. For every high dollar, big name guy signed in free agency that actually works out, there's another that doesn't.

Reaction score
During the 2010 offseason, the Packers didn’t sign a single unrestricted free agent yet hoisted the Lombardi Trophy the following February. In 2011, they again didn’t sign any free agents yet posted a 15-1 regular-season record.
End of story. Can we close the threads now about this?

H

HardRightEdge

JS Online is reporting that Michael Huff is visiting GB. I'm already on the record in favor of Huff. Maybe TT is not as optimistic about those young safeties as MM happens to be.

Vegas odds say TT will be outbid.

At least it's refreshing to see TT express some kind of interest in somebody not named Canty or Jackson after having obsessed over those two guys over the past 4 years.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JS Online is reporting that Michael Huff is visiting GB. I'm already on the record in favor of Huff. Maybe TT is not as optimistic about those young safeties as MM happens to be.

Vegas odds say TT will be outbid.

At least it's refreshing to see TT express some kind of interest in somebody not named Canty or Jackson after having obsessed over those two guys over the past 4 years.

Yea the team he's outbid by will offer 10 bucks more per year and TT won't budge and we will see Huff sign elsewhere:confused:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea the team he's outbid by will offer 10 bucks more per year and TT won't budge and we will see Huff sign elsewhere:confused:

Yeah, because what you just described has actually happened, ever.

I wouldn't mind Huff, but only at the right price. This draft class has a ton of good quality potential starting safeties.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huff signed a 3 year deal with the Ravens.

Cue Rodell shaking his head about another free agent that we "missed out on" that we were never even really in on.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
End of story. Can we close the threads now about this?

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. A lot of the players on that team that were crucial to our success we don't have anymore or aren't playing like that anymore.

We had an apparent blooming RB in Starks and a CB in Williams, we had Jennings, we had Driver who was actually a still somewhat of a weapon, we had a pretty solid Offensive line, we had Collins and Woodson.

We may not have signed anybody, but we weren't exactly without some important players, which are now no longer a part of this team.

I think what worries some people, or at least me is the lack of turnover. Despite not signing anyone in the past two seasons, we still managed to keep the team together. Now, not so much.

Either way, screw FA. I'm ready for the draft already.

H

HardRightEdge

Huff signed a 3 year deal with the Ravens.

Cue Rodell shaking his head about another free agent that we "missed out on" that we were never even really in on.

3 years / $6 mil total, about 1/2 what we're paying Brad Jones.

According to JS Online,
"a source close to the Packers said, "That's just agent (bull)",
referring to his supposed meeting with the Packers.

Oh, well.

So, we go back to the previous default view of the safety position...MM likes his 3 young guys next to Burnett.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts