Free Agency

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT doesn't really do the free agency thing but man with Harvin going to the Seahawks and Boldin to the 49ers and other guys out there I feel like that poor kid that watches all his friends get cool new toys. I know we have been relatively successful drafting and building from within but I can't still not feel that we are missing out on a key piece or pieces to make us better. I don't want to waste Rodgers years here not giving him the best possible players. I think we should have won more playoff games and at least another Super Bowl when Favre was here if we would have done more. I realize with contracts coming up we have to be smart but it drives me crazy sometimes with all these other teams gobbling up guys.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would have won more Super Bowl's with Favre had he decided not to throw so many passes to the other team.

As for free agency, we proved last season we'll get involved in free agency after the initial frenzy is over, provided there's some value to be had. What we won't do is give up big money or draft picks to chase someone with a big name. We could re-sign Jennings and keep our first round draft pick for what Seattle and San Fran gave up for those guys. Our strategy of draft and develop is how long term success is sustained, and there's not one single fan on this forum or elsewhere, who can say we haven't had long term sustained success..

OP
OP
GWheels

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying I don't agree with the direction the organization goes just saying I don't wonder sometimes if were are missing out on a player that could come in a be a significant difference. Last year it was Saturday who didn't even start at the end of the season and we gave up a crap load of sacks.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks and 49ers got significantly better today. It is going to be a very interesting offseason. I would like to see the Packers get a resigning or two done so that those aren't hanging over their head (Rodgers and Matthews). I am a big fan of either signing Steven Jackson or drafting Eddie Lacey. It's amazing how quickly it went from the Packers and everybody else in the NFC to any one of four teams could win the NFC (Seattle, San Francisco, Green Bay and Atlanta)

The_Virus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks and 49ers got significantly better today. It is going to be a very interesting offseason. I would like to see the Packers get a resigning or two done so that those aren't hanging over their head (Rodgers and Matthews). I am a big fan of either signing Steven Jackson or drafting Eddie Lacey. It's amazing how quickly it went from the Packers and everybody else in the NFC to any one of four teams could win the NFC (Seattle, San Francisco, Green Bay and Atlanta)

I dont mind drafting Lacey or signing Jackson. Its just i dont think selecting a RB in the first round is the thing to do and on Jackson, I think he will be too much money to sign.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT doesn't really do the free agency thing but man with Harvin going to the Seahawks and Boldin to the 49ers and other guys out there I feel like that poor kid that watches all his friends get cool new toys. I know we have been relatively successful drafting and building from within but I can't still not feel that we are missing out on a key piece or pieces to make us better. I don't want to waste Rodgers years here not giving him the best possible players. I think we should have won more playoff games and at least another Super Bowl when Favre was here if we would have done more. I realize with contracts coming up we have to be smart but it drives me crazy sometimes with all these other teams gobbling up guys.

hahaha yeah, then the friends end up working the company the poor kid is CEO of. I'm not so sure the Niners and Seahawks did any more than improve their image with the talking heads. Harvin is a "head case" in a couple of ways. Boldin is most of the way over the hill. The cost of each was too high - 1st round pick for Harvin, $6 million salary for Boldin. To paraphrase somebody - John Kerry, I think, I was for Thompson before I was against him - and I have never really been against him. He was right to sit out the Harvin/Boldin trades; He is right passing on Jenkins and probably Canty; He will be right if he doesn't bother with Jackson; He will even be right if we lose Jennings and do not keep Finley, considering the cost. We probably all experience a brief moment of that craziness you mention when other teams gobble up players - usually overpaying for guys on the downside, but Super Bowl win followed by 15-1, followed by 11-5 extenuated by injuries ain't bad. Getting Perry and Sherrod and Bishop and Green back healthy plus a decent draft and not quite so bad luck injury-wise, and the Packers should still be way better than Seattle and Atlanta and a little better than San Fran.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree generally with this assessment. But, we don't get to the SB without Woodson. But, he was signed several years prior to the SB run.

Also, is Boldin that big of a signing to really push them over the top? He's clutch and a gamer, but he's on the downside of his career and not worth $6M. He's probably a better compliment to Crabtree than Moss, but if I were a 9ers fan, I'd be pissed we are spending $6M on Boldin over $8M or so on Gholdson.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree generally with this assessment. But, we don't get to the SB without Woodson. But, he was signed several years prior to the SB run.

Also, is Boldin that big of a signing to really push them over the top? He's clutch and a gamer, but he's on the downside of his career and not worth $6M. He's probably a better compliment to Crabtree than Moss, but if I were a 9ers fan, I'd be pissed we are spending $6M on Boldin over $8M or so on Gholdson.

The comment was at the TOP of the FA market...Woodson wasnt done in 1st week...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Amish Guide to FA

PROS
- Proven talent
- Older player may be role models for younger players

CONS
- Bidding war results in paying more and getting less
- Large contract will cause dissension on the team. Imagine how CM3 would feel if we brought in a player not as good as he is and we pay him 50% more?
- Difficult to extend your own players - as in the above example, What will CM3 want in his next contract?
- Difficult to extend your own players - using up salary space leaves less salary space
- How will player's personality mesh in locker room? A rookie is new and has to adapt to the environment, an older veteran may be set in his ways.
- Big money invested at a position results in potential deficiencies (weak links) at other positions
- Veteran takes reps away from younger players potentially hindering development

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, this same conversation came up a couple of years ago when Philly signed like the top 10 free agents including Jenkins.
Instead of living up to the hype they promptly s#%t the bed and everyone one laughed at them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Remember, this same conversation came up a couple of years ago when Philly signed like the top 10 free agents including Jenkins.
Instead of living up to the hype they promptly s#%t the bed and everyone one laughed at them.

Right, but they went overboard with FA's. Plus their QB is garbage. I don't think that 1 FA at a needed position for a decent price is going to kill anyone. When you start to rack up 3-4-5 or more FA's, then you will be in the sh!tter sooner than later.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but they went overboard with FA's. Plus their QB is garbage. I don't think that 1 FA at a needed position for a decent price is going to kill anyone. When you start to rack up 3-4-5 or more FA's, then you will be in the sh!tter sooner than later.

And I think this is what kills most of us here in this forum. We recognize the need for a few key signings at certain positions that can be the stopgap before the young talent develops. For instance, Canty/Seymour are, in my mind, crucial signings to help shore up the d-line, an area of huge need. Yes, we can go draft route, and I expect he'll spend more picks there even if we sign someone. But, it's hard to expect immediate impact to the level needed. Similarly, I think a guy like S. Jax (at the estimated in the media range of 3 yrs/$12M) would be a coup for this offense. He and Harris would be a great thunder/lightning combo for us and finally create an effective running game. In doing so, that opens up the passing windows and makes the d-line have to respect the rush instead of always pinning their ears back.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
And I think this is what kills most of us here in this forum. We recognize the need for a few key signings at certain positions that can be the stopgap before the young talent develops. For instance, Canty/Seymour are, in my mind, crucial signings to help shore up the d-line, an area of huge need. Yes, we can go draft route, and I expect he'll spend more picks there even if we sign someone. But, it's hard to expect immediate impact to the level needed. Similarly, I think a guy like S. Jax (at the estimated in the media range of 3 yrs/$12M) would be a coup for this offense. He and Harris would be a great thunder/lightning combo for us and finally create an effective running game. In doing so, that opens up the passing windows and makes the d-line have to respect the rush instead of always pinning their ears back.

Agree 100%. But FA's can be killers to the fragile cap system. I think if we get one or the other we would be safe, but not 2 FA's.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand and agree with Thompson's aversion to participate in the bidding wars that occur at the beginning of the UFA period. But I do think Thompson should sign a UFA or two because there is a glut of them on the market. Today on Mike & Mike, Greenberg said this year's salary cap, even with the slight increase, is less than it was in 2009. The consequences of that include a glut of vets waived for cap reasons. That glut means there will likely be some UFAs who won't get the kind of offer they think they're worth. When supply increases and demand remains constant (same number of players per roster), the cost should come down. Last off season, the Packers signed Saturday, Benson, Hargrove, Muir, and Merling. Obviously Thompson's top priority is retaining Rodgers and Matthews long-term. But there should be some cash and cap space for a couple of UFA signings and this season some should be available at bargain prices.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand and agree with Thompson's aversion to participate in the bidding wars that occur at the beginning of the UFA period. But I do think Thompson should sign a UFA or two because there is a glut of them on the market. Today on Mike & Mike, Greenberg said this year's salary cap, even with the slight increase, is less than it was in 2009. The consequences of that include a glut of vets waived for cap reasons. That glut means there will likely be some UFAs who won't get the kind of offer they think they're worth.

I've been saying this for the past month as pertains to other than elite level talents.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminder: We have players like Rodgers and CM3 that need to be retained.

Spending money, because you have money, is about the most foolish thing an NFL GM can do. But think about that, we have $18M in cap space with one of the most talented rosters in all of football. TT did that not by quick reaction to perceived problems with spending on FAs.

As with my post above, there are many more negatives than there are positives about signing impact FAs. As such, there are more mistakes than successes when it comes to signing them. What some don't seem to get, is that it is not always an option. Take DE. There has to be a person who fits this:

1. Fits the system
2. Is reliable (not an injury risk)
3. Want to play in GB
4. Represents a significant increase in the talent level
5. Fits the locker room
6. Agrees to the $$$ the Packers feel he is worth
7. Will not adversely affect the team in any way shape or form.

That weeds out most of the FAs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahem. Charles Woodson. Or Drew Brees. Breer misspoke.
"TOP of the FA market."

If reports are true, only Tampa was interested in him and wanted him at safety. Only the Pack wanted him as a CB. Really wouldn't consider him 'at the top' of the FA market. But your point is taken.

But also please note, only the Pack and the Saints won a SB with a high dollar FA. So obviously the Packers are willing to go after a guy with high FA bucks if it is a good deal. Leads me to think, that most of the deals out there, TT does not consider a good deal.

MidnightToker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is on NFL Live right now. He sounds really happy to not be on the Packers anymore. He kept saying he's "going to enjoy" free agency. He's going to take his time and really savor and enjoy it and meet with teams. Jennings also said he has a few teams in mind that he'd like to play for, but wasn't going to reveal them

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the argument we have to keep Rodgers and Matthews so that's why we can't spend on a free agent. Agree we have to keep them. But as valuable as these guys are they won't be enough to win another title without upgrading the rest of the roster. Unless we can find a way to do that we will be perennial also rans. Some may be happy with that, not me. We've got to find a way to keep Rodgers and Matthews and get someone in free agency to help at either safety, DE, LB or LOT. I don't think we can address all those needs with the draft alone.

Members online

Latest posts