Free Agency Targets

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping for Chris Myers, center from the Texans if we can't resign Scott Wells.
I'd also like to see us add a couple of second tier defense players, such as DE/safety.
Ultimately I would like to see us add Kameron Wiembly if the Raiders cut him.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo... both are available (although Erin Henderson may be a free agent). E.J.'s better days are behind him after his horrific leg injury. Erin is a nice little player, but not sure he fits in a 3-4.

I agree TeamTundra... Myers would be nice. I'm curious to see what the market holds for these centers. There are a number available, and I'm starting to think that the law of supply/demand takes over. With so many available, I'm not sure teams will bid too high on the likes of Myers and Wells knowing other fall-back options are available. I mean, center is not a marquee position to spend huge money.

I agree with your take on Wimbley. He would be a huge get for the Pack. The one factor in our advantage is that Wimbley won't be released for few days or so b/c his contract becomes guaranteed at a date after free agency begins. Maybe by that point, the big splashes will have occurred, and thus reduce the number of teams vying for Wimbley's services. Of course, the flip side is he could be in huge demand for those teams that missed out on free agents. In any event, he'd be a great get and compliment to Matthews. I'm not keeping my hopes up given TT's track record, but you never know!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I liked that article too as the author made a point of saying he's tempering his expectations. Me too. I have to agree OC is the first FA priority. I'm hoping Wells comes back at a very reasonable price since the market is loaded with OC. Another two or three years with him at OC gives the Packers plenty of time to groom his successor. And if he's really pissed at the Packers for trying to improve that position and not falling all over themselves to pay him top-5 money, then see ya later, Scott. EDS surprised me with how well he played OG, I wonder if he might be able to fill in at OC until a rookie gets up to speed?

Of course I'd love to see Wimbley but the author is right, he'll probably cost too much. Mark Anderson may be just the ticket though. I think Thompson's concerns in UFA are both the cost and the effect of an "outsider" on the locker room. My guess is signing a NE Pat would lessen the concerns somewhat since that organization doesn’t seem to put up with nonsense in the locker room. My expectations are so tempered that I'm hoping for one UFA signing (outside of OC) with a chance to start on D…

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure there was an easier way to research this but I look at all the Free Agents the Packers have signed (from other teams, not re-signing their own players) since TT took over.

2005:
Ran Carthon, RB
Andre Thurman, WR
Steve Fleming, TE
Tory Humphrey, TE
Ryan Flinn, P
Adrian Klemm, OT
Matt O'Dwyer, OG
Jeremiah Garrison, LB
John Leake, LB
Earl Little, FS

2006:
Willie Quinnie, WR
Koren Robinson, WR
Billy Cundiff, K
Dave Rayner, K
Todd Williams, OT
Kendrick Allen, DL
Ryan Pickett, DL
Ben Taylor, LB
Tracy White, LB
Charles Woodson, CB

2007:
John Kuhn, FB
Frank Walker, CB

2008:
Derrick Frost, P
Joe Toledo, OL
Brandon Chillar, LB
Thomas Gafford, ST

2009:
Ahman Green, RB
Devin Frischknecht, TE
Stryker Sulak, LB
Josh Bell, CB
Matt Giordano, FS

2010:
Dmitri Nance, RB
Spencer Havner, TE
Evan Moore, TE
Howard Green, DL
Diyral Briggs, LB
Matt Wilhelm, LB
Charlie Peprah, SS

2011:
Herb Taylor, OT
Johnny Jones, DL

So as you can see TT was very active in Free Agency when he first got here and as the team he wanted took shape he was less and less active. I think lists like this are fun to look at it. TT obviously hit gold with Woodson and Pickett. Got a solid player in Peprah and good play out of Green when we won the superbowl. Kuhn is a hard-working grinder who is a great addition to our team. The rest of the players are players that never really panned out though. Ted seems to hit more gold in the draft than in Free Agency and I am not sure why that is. Maybe his coaches have a greater opportunity at molding a better player and better personality if they get them right out of college then if they have already been in the league for a year or more? I am not sure but I do know TT drafts very well and will get more solid players on average than almost any other team.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Derrick Frost signing was one of the poorest TT did. Cut your punter after camp to get someone much worse because your so-so ST coach wanted him?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts