Franklins neck

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a drag. Reminds me of the Murphy situation from a few years back. Tons of potential cut off due to bad luck...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By all appearances Franklin is a class act. What is amazing to me is that the Packers gave no indication that he would be out of football this year, let alone forever. I suppose Franklin knew it, but why no information to the public? Why the secrecy? It doesn't reflect well on the medical staff if they've known for months that a player is finished but the organization makes no announcement.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By all appearances Franklin is a class act. What is amazing to me is that the Packers gave no indication that he would be out of football this year, let alone forever. I suppose Franklin knew it, but why no information to the public? Why the secrecy? It doesn't reflect well on the medical staff if they've known for months that a player is finished but the organization makes no announcement.

I think it's up to Franklin to decide when he wants to announce his retirement and no one else.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sucks bad for Franklin and I feel bad for him, but lets be honest, how much of an impact was he going to make on the team this coming season? He was pretty much planted behind Lacy and Starks on the depth chart. He wasnt going to get many carries. As far as special teams go, we have a couple of other players that I think would be returning kicks over him.

I feel bad for the guy, but in the end, this is not a huge loss at all. Lacy/Starks/Harris will be more than fine for us.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What a damn shame. I don't know where he would have ended up - on the Packers' depth chart or elsewhere but what a shame he won't find out. I wonder if he's another victim of spinal stenosis?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone have comparable stats between the Packers and neck injuries for the rest of the league ? The never ending neck injury saga reminds me of Lombardi's "what the hell is going on out there".

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The medical staff is bound by law (HIPAA) not to disclose medical information to the public. In absolutely NO WAY does this reflect poorly on the medical staff. On the contrary, it reflects very highly of their professional standards. By extension, the Packers are also bound to confidentiality until such time that the player is comfortable with making it public.

H

HardRightEdge

How so? In Franklins small sample he ran like an elusive guy with good vision and burst who was also capable of breaking tackles and falling forward.
That may be what you saw in the Pac 12. That's not what I've seen in the NFL. The point is now moot.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sucks bad for Franklin and I feel bad for him, but lets be honest, how much of an impact was he going to make on the team this coming season? He was pretty much planted behind Lacy and Starks on the depth chart. He wasnt going to get many carries. As far as special teams go, we have a couple of other players that I think would be returning kicks over him.

I feel bad for the guy, but in the end, this is not a huge loss at all. Lacy/Starks/Harris will be more than fine for us.
There is no way of knowing what his place would have been. He looked good in his short time last year.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be what you saw in the Pac 12. That's not what I've seen in the NFL. The point is now moot.

So explain how he resembled Brandon Jackson at all. He only had like 2 runs that didn't gain yards and he broke like 6 tackles in only 1 half of football against a good defense. So apparently you either don't know what you are looking at or you just cannot see.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I am unphased. Severe neck injuries forcing promising players into early retirement is kinda the norm around here.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're being a little quick to judge after seeing only him play only 62 snaps in the NFL. Though I suppose it helps make this news suck less to think like that.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe there is a sufficient "sample" of eye tests to judge that he runs like Brandon Jackson, while not bringing Jackson's blocking skills to the field.
Well unfortunately JF won't get a chance to prove me right or you wrong. This is one of those rare cases where I bet you would have been glad to been proven wrong. From everything I read Jonathan sounds like a wonderful young man who has aspirations of making a profound impact on his community (L.A.). As a Christian man I believe everything good and bad happens for a reason and that God has a plan for his life. Again, this debate could last forever as the sample size will end up being considered his total body of work. The one thing I am sure we agree about is wishing nothing for the best for Jonathan as he enters this next chapter in his young life.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prime example of why these guys have to make hay while they can. Hopefully he had some good insurance and has a decent education and work ethic to go forward on

H

HardRightEdge

So explain how he resembled Brandon Jackson at all. He only had like 2 runs that didn't gain yards and he broke like 6 tackles in only 1 half of football against a good defense. So apparently you either don't know what you are looking at or you just cannot see.
Suit yourself. It doesn't matter now.

H

HardRightEdge

I think you're being a little quick to judge after seeing only him play only 62 snaps in the NFL. Though I suppose it helps make this news suck less to think like that.
It was my thinking before he got hurt, so "less sucking" is not an issue for me on a team level.

So, maybe he'll get an intern job in the LA mayor's office, get his masters degree, work his way up the bureaucracy, eventually win a city council seat, then maybe the state senate seat, and then achieve his dream of becoming mayor.
I say this without irony: if that's what he wants, he's getting a 5-10 year head start in pursuing his dream.

H

HardRightEdge

Well unfortunately JF won't get a chance to prove me right or you wrong.

I love being proven wrong if it leads to more wins. I'm not a braggart nor an "I told you so guy" as those 3000+ posts would attest, but I'll make a rare exception...I'm right a lot more often than wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts