frank walker signs

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
CurlyBear said:
Walker, 25, agreed to a one-year, $1.24 million deal that included a $750,000 base salary, $150,000 signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $240,000 roster bonus. He will make $15,000 of the roster bonus for each game he's on the 45-man roster.

The Packers decided they had to have Walker after an impressive workout Monday in the Hutson Center when he ran 40 yards in the low 4.4-second range. Walker, 5 feet 11 inches and 196 pounds, also had an offer from New Orleans.

IMO this shows TT is willing to cough up the money to get players HE BELIEVES CAN BE A GOOD ADDITION TO THE TEAM.

Secondly, this shows that TT can sign players who have received offers from other teams. Let's face it, the Saints are a team on the rise, and it isn't as if Walker chose Green Bay over the Lions or something.

Hopefully this will put to rest some of the stuff being said about TT around here.
It WOULD be nice...........but the reality is, the TT haters will go on hating!
And if Walker DOES turn out to be good (like Woodson did last year) the haters will just ignore that fact and go onto other reasons to keep hating.
I doubt if anything can or will stop that.

Not all of us that believe that old Ted is ultra conservative are complete haters. Here is my take overall, Ted is building the team way of a Bill Walsh which is adding from within and turning them into players, "coaching them up". My issue with it is that he could and maybe should be more aggressive to try and win now. Albeit that I didn't see much help in the FA market for us this year, he is in my opinion gambling on young players to fill starting roles with no veteran leadership to back them up. Last year it was on the oline, and like it or not that cost us games early in the year that we could or should have won. The Ram game comes to mind with missed block after block in that game. This year he is gambling on RB and FB. And if we go into the year, yes there is time left, with players on the roster and rookie additions it is a gamble.

TT track record and his belief in his drafting and his scouts is strong that he will try to fill holes with the draft. Just like the interior of the oline last year. Did it turn out late in the year yes, but did it cost us in the 1st half hell yeah.

My opinion is Ted wants to win and make the playoffs, it just might not be this year:) We have a franchise QB that can take us to the big dance, why not do everything you can to go for it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank Walker. i like his name.

sounds like a Private Investigator from the 80s.

Frank Walker PI.... if he drives up to Lambeau his first day in a Ferrari 308. He will officially be my favorite player.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not, but hell I can't understand why Carroll needed to hold, he's one of the fastest guys in the NFL and ran a 4.26 40-time. There was nothing wrong with Carroll except his head weren't were it was supposed to be.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I find this part of it hilarious. I read a report that TT or Brandt followed Walker onto the plane he had boarded on his way to Seattle. He finally signed right there on the plane. He departed the plane but they couldn't hunt for his luggage. I, with my suspicious nature, wonder if TT Felt he had to go all-out with this guy since he's been losing in his attempts to get any one else to sign. His reputation as a GM was suffering, IMO. Too bad he didn't fight that hard for a better player. But maybe that's just me.

Your report might have been wrong??

Thompson makes first free-agent strike « Back

by Rob Demovsky
Source: PackersNews.com

Mar. 14, 2007

The Green Bay Packers finally made something happen in free agency, and it was just the kind of move one would expect from General Manager Ted Thompson.

Thompson, who has approached free agency with caution during his tenure, signed cornerback Frank Walker on Tuesday. Walker's agent, Harold Lewis, said the deal was completed early in the morning after an all-night negotiation with Andrew Brandt, the Packers' vice president of player finance.

The Packers did not announce the signing, but Walker agreed to a one-year contract. It was their first move since free agency began on March 2.

The fifth-year pro will receive a signing bonus of $250,000 and a roster bonus of $250,000. His base salary will be $750,000. Playing-time and performance incentives could increase the value of the contract to almost $1.5 million.

The 5-foot-10, 198-pound Walker played his first four NFL seasons for the New York Giants, who drafted him in the sixth round out of Tuskegee in 2003.

The Packers envision him as their No. 3 cornerback behind starters Al Harris and Charles Woodson, and he could see significant playing time as their nickel defensive back. That role last season was played mostly by Patrick Dendy, who became the third cornerback after Ahmad Carroll was released on Oct. 3.

"He's a great cover guy," Lewis said of his client. "He'll be their nickel, at worst. He got a one-year deal, and it's up to him now to do what he needs to do. Hopefully, at some point this year, we can stretch it into a long-term deal with the Packers."

Walker, 25, has made five career starts but last season played mostly on special teams.

"Don't look at his playing time (last year)," Lewis said. "Trust me, he can cover. He just had a little personality conflict with (Giants coach Tom) Coughlin."

Walker wrapped up his visit and workout with the Packers on Monday and returned to his home in Atlanta. He was scheduled to fly to Seattle for a visit on Tuesday. He boarded a plane at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport that was to depart at 7:24 a.m., Green Bay time. Lewis and Brandt came to an agreement shortly after 7 a.m.

"We got it worked out and completed at 7:14 in the morning," Lewis said.

"By that time, he's on the plane in Atlanta, so I had to try to get him off the plane. That was harder than the contract.

"I called Frank, and I could hear the flight attendant in the background saying 'your (oxygen) masks will come down,' you know the whole preflight routine. And I hear Frank saying, 'Excuse me ma'am, I need to get off this flight.' She said, 'I'm sorry sir, but we're taxiing, and there's nothing we can do.'"

That's when Walker said: "You don't understand, I'm a football player, and I was going to Seattle, but now I'm signing somewhere else."

After checking with security, the flight attendant let Walker off the plane.

Thompson on Tuesday said he "couldn't confirm or deny" he had signed Walker.

When asked what he likes about Walker, Thompson said: "I think that's more appropriate in a couple of days, if and when everything becomes official."

Lewis said Packers defensive tackle Kenderick Allen, who played with Walker in New York, helped convince Walker to sign with Green Bay. Allen's contract with the Packers expired after last season, but Lewis said the Packers have given him reason to think they will re-sign him.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
CurlyBear said:
Walker, 25, agreed to a one-year, $1.24 million deal that included a $750,000 base salary, $150,000 signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $240,000 roster bonus. He will make $15,000 of the roster bonus for each game he's on the 45-man roster.

The Packers decided they had to have Walker after an impressive workout Monday in the Hutson Center when he ran 40 yards in the low 4.4-second range. Walker, 5 feet 11 inches and 196 pounds, also had an offer from New Orleans.

IMO this shows TT is willing to cough up the money to get players HE BELIEVES CAN BE A GOOD ADDITION TO THE TEAM.

Secondly, this shows that TT can sign players who have received offers from other teams. Let's face it, the Saints are a team on the rise, and it isn't as if Walker chose Green Bay over the Lions or something.

Hopefully this will put to rest some of the stuff being said about TT around here.

Are you kidding, So when TT signs someone he "is willing to cough up money" but if he is competing against another team and loses "he just chose to go in a different direction".

How many ways do you want it?

He coughed up million dollars, chump change. Perhaps the Saints just thought that Walker wasn't worth it. Isn't that what the Pro Ted Millen crowd says everytime we get outbid on a FA? Yet when Ted signs someone he all the sudden aggressively outbid someone. Please!

Perhaps the Saints who got one of those "overpaid" FA's last year in Drew Brees and were aggressive this year getting Brian Simmons, Eric Johnson, and Kevin Kaesviharn chose to pass on this one.

Pyle, the point of AAPD is that a team on the rise, a team in the NFC title game last year wanted this guy..Andrew and Ted did something to make this guy choose them over Saints. They saw something in this player to say we want him!!

Where as other players it might be more, we could use him but wont pay more then WE think he is worth- Griffith.

We JUST DONT KNOW what is being said behind the doors..

And btw it is TED THOMPSON...... NOT TED MILLEN

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Walker being the teams nickel back this year? He does have more experience than Dendy, Blackmon, and Bush. He's also started a few games in the past before.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Walker being the teams nickel back this year? He does have more experience than Dendy, Blackmon, and Bush. He's also started a few games in the past before.

He is going to fight for that spot, and who knows maybe it will light a bigger fire under the returning guys...But right now he seems to be penciled in as a nickle back..

Does anyone know if he can field punts?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
maybe he is just a backup..

back ups

but why would you not have someone with experience at a backup spot at least. There are veteran guys out there but TT keeps going after these rookies or 2nd year guys.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully it never comes to this, but if Harris or Woodson get injured, is Walker be the next in line to start?

If he is, can he do a decent job?

:thumbsup:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully it never comes to this, but if Harris or Woodson get injured, is Walker be the next in line to start?

If he is, can he do a decent job?

Better than Patrick Dendy in my opinion. Walker was sought out by a few teams. So it shows not only the Packers but others think he can be a contributing player. Now don't take what I'm saying out of context.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this signing.

Walker is a solid defensive back who will provide good depth in the secondary.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He is definately fast enough, the Packers had him run the 40 in low 4.4. He seems to have great work ethics, he doesn't drink, he's a football player and a really professional athlete.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts