frank walker signs

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://packers.scout.com/2/626505.html

rank Walker signed a one-year contract with the Green Bay Packers this morning, PackerReport.com has learned. Walker, a backup cornerback with the New York Giants the past four seasons, is the Packers’ first signing in free agency.

The amount of the contract was not disclosed, but it did include a signing bonus, according to the source.

Walker, who turns 26 on Aug. 6, started one game in 2006 and five games overall with the Giants since he was selected in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL draft out of Tuskegee (Ala.). Last year, he found himself buried on the depth chart behind starters Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters, and fighting for playing time against Corey Webster (a second round draft pick by the Giants in 2005) and rookie free agent Kevin Dockery.

Walker played in 10 games for the Giants last season and finished with nine tackles, no interceptions and no sacks.

Walker met with the New Orleans Saints over the weekend, and worked out for the Packers on Monday. Both sides agreed to the deal while Walker was literally on the plane in Green Bay for Seattle to meet with the Seahawks, according to the source.

Walker presumably will be playing for the No. 3 or No. 4 positions behind starters Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Walker's main competition will be Patrick Dendy, who finished the 2006 season as the team's nickel back; Jarrett Bush, who played some as a dime back; and Will Blackmon, who was selected in the fourth round of the NFL draft last season, but missed most of the year with injuries.

Stay tuned to PackerReport.com for more information on Walker later today.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sweet!
I bet i'm the only guy on this site that already has his autograph!
I pulled his signed card out of a pack of Topps football cards this past season.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.Com

Packers sign former Giants CB Walker

NFL.com wire reports

MILWAUKEE (March 13, 2007) -- The Green Bay Packers signed free agent cornerback Frank Walker to a one-year deal that could be worth nearly $1.5 million with incentives, agent Harold Lewis said.

Lewis said Walker, who spent the past four seasons with the New York Giants, will compete for the Packers' nickel cornerback job next season.

Green Bay's Al Harris and Charles Woodson are one of the NFL's best starting cornerback tandems, but the Packers struggled to find a consistent third cornerback last season.

Lewis said Walker might have been the Giants' best coverage cornerback last season, but Giants coach Tom Coughlin believed Walker was too aggressive.

"He's tough," Lewis said. "Sometimes, a little too tough."

In November, Walker delivered a big hit on Tennessee Titans cornerback Vince Young on a fourth-down play but was called for a personal foul to extend the drive. The Titans went on to score a touchdown on the drive and won the game; Coughlin called the play "stupid."

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Dakota, you are correct and I should have been more specific:

Does this mean the Packers don't NEED to draft a CB on day 1?

Since it is a week CB draft, I don't think you can eliminate a day 1 prospect. Ideally, getting a corner that can return punts is what you want. I think Blackmon fills this role, but that player needs to prove his health.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find this part of it hilarious. I read a report that TT or Brandt followed Walker onto the plane he had boarded on his way to Seattle. He finally signed right there on the plane. He departed the plane but they couldn't hunt for his luggage. I, with my suspicious nature, wonder if TT Felt he had to go all-out with this guy since he's been losing in his attempts to get any one else to sign. His reputation as a GM was suffering, IMO. Too bad he didn't fight that hard for a better player. But maybe that's just me.

Reaction score
retired, from what I've read, Frank Walker has good skills, they just haven't translated onto the football field in the form of production.

Perhaps TT feels he can get the most out of Walker's skills by having him play in a press coverage coverage scheme...

Either way, it is refreshing to read that the Packers aren't opposed to doing all they can do if they see a player they like.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decision plain, simple
Team signs hard-hitting Walker to one-year deal
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: March 13, 2007

Green Bay - Frank Walker, a hard-hitting, somewhat temperamental cornerback whose playing time with the New York Giants didn't match his ability, will try to reverse that pattern as the Green Bay Packers' first addition in unrestricted free agency.

Walker, 25, agreed to a one-year, $1.24 million deal that included a $750,000 base salary, $150,000 signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $240,000 roster bonus. He will make $15,000 of the roster bonus for each game he's on the 45-man roster.

"He saw a good opportunity to get on the field, which was one of his major goals in this," co-agent Frank Murtha said. "To get back and compete for at least a nickel and dime job."

The agreement was reached at 7:14 a.m. Tuesday while Walker was in Atlanta already seated on a plane bound for Seattle and a visit with the Seahawks.

His other agent, Harold Lewis, called Walker on his cell phone frantically informing him that he had just reached agreement with negotiator Andrew Brandt and that general manager Ted Thompson had signed off on it.

"They let him off but his bags are in Seattle," Lewis said. "The contract was easy. Getting him off the plane was hard. Frank was saying to them, 'You don't understand, I've got to get off this plane. Now.' It was hysterical."

Lewis credited both Packers scout Alonzo Highsmith, who along with the late Mark Hatley championed his cause in college, and Packers nose tackle Kenderick Allen, a former teammate in New York, for persuading Walker to pick Green Bay. Highsmith, according to Lewis, was on the phone with Walker until 2 a.m. Tuesday.

"Highsmith worked Frank hard," Lewis said. "He built up a really good relationship with Frank in college. He should get a couple pats on the back.

"Here's the thing. Frank Walker does not drink alcohol. He's a straight-arrow guy. I said, 'Hey, Frank, it's perfect for you up there. There's nothing for you to do. Just play football.' "

The Packers decided they had to have Walker after an impressive workout Monday in the Hutson Center when he ran 40 yards in the low 4.4-second range. Walker, 5 feet 11 inches and 196 pounds, also had an offer from New Orleans.

Drafted by the Giants in the sixth round out of Tuskegee in 2003, Walker started the last seven games at right cornerback as a rookie. He played 45.9% of the downs and intercepted two passes, returning one for a 56-yard touchdown.

The next year, coach Tom Coughlin replaced Jim Fassel and Walker's role gradually diminished. After playing 18.8% in 2004, his playing time slipped to 2% in '05 and 8.1% in '06.

Although the Giants' cornerback situation was shaky last season, Walker languished behind Sam Madison, Corey Webster, R.W. McQuarters and Kevin Dockery.

Walker will compete with Patrick Dendy, Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush and others for the No. 3 job behind Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Tuesday meeting: The subject of the Packers' interest in Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss wasn't even broached by Thompson at the monthly executive committee meeting until he was asked about it. Thompson steadfastly has refused to discuss Moss with reporters because he remains property of the Raiders.

Newly re-signed: Center-guard Tyson Walter's one-year contract is worth $701,240. It includes a $595,000 base salary, $40,000 signing bonus and $36,240 workout bonus.

Linebacker Tracy White's one-year deal is worth $641,240. It includes a $595,000 base salary, $25,000 signing bonus and $21,240 workout bonus.

Date set: The Packers' annual stockholders meeting is set for 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 25, at Lambeau Field.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Here's the thing. Frank Walker does not drink alcohol. He's a straight-arrow guy. I said, 'Hey, Frank, it's perfect for you up there. There's nothing for you to do. Just play football.' "
Interesting! Is Green Bay seen as detox for troubled NFL players now?? :_D

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think this guy is going to be my 2nd favorite player, after Dendy.

The Dendy\Walker combination is going to be a force!

Members online

Latest posts