1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Franchise tag

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rawalabhay, Feb 15, 2011.

1. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Some teams have started to put tags on players. Who do you think we will use it on and why.

Also, that will only work provided there is a franchise tag in the new CBA!

2. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    I don't think we'll use it...MAYBE on Crosby, but eh..

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    If we use it, my guess is Cullen Jenkins. Whether that means he plays next year under the tag, we negotiate a new deal in the interim, or we tag and trade him, I do not know.

4. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    I think using it on Jenkins might be a good idea too, then negotiate a deal with him!

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I would think its more likely on crosby than jenkins just based on price. your looking at 13 million to franchise jenkins and 3 million to franchise crosby.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Very true, but it's not just a question of which they want to keep more, but also which they'd hate to see leave town with no compensation to the team.

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
  8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    we might get a 4th rounder if Cullen leaves just like we got a pick when kampman left. Which wouldnt be all bad.

9. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    we get a pick, we didn't get one last year for Kampman

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    oh god your not going to start correcting people too are you? get got watever. Most likely a 3rd rounder watever way you want to call it.

11. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I don't see us using the franchise tag on anyone. If we did, it would likely be Cullen Jenkins, but we'd be on the hook to pay him the average of the top 5 DE's in the league, unless we're able to get a new deal done for a hometown discount. My guess is he wants to test the open market, as will James Jones.

12. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Cheesehead TV has a great write up on Jenkins and the franchise tag:

Cullen Jenkins And The Franchise Tag | Cheesehead TV

Basically, unless we can tag him and re-sign him, or trade him for at least a second rounder, there's no point in using the franchise tag on him as we'll likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him once he leaves in free agency. And with the plethora of teams in the market for a solid DE who can play both the 3-4 and 4-3, value for his services is likely going to be quite high.

Lets not forget we still have Mike Neal and Johnny Jolly due back next year. Not to mention the developmental players and anyone we draft.

13. brett2520

brett2520 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    I was all for keeping Jenkins long term, but with a list of Raji, Pickett, Neal, Jolly, CJ Wilson, Howard Green, and Wynn, plus a draft pick or two, Jenkins is a luxury we don't need to pay extra for. A 3-4th round draft pick should be fine for depth and potential.

14. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    LOL, not trying to nitpick, just pointing out that it's this year not last year that we get it. It's probably a 3rd which is awesome, we could turn it into Casey Mathews :D:happy0005: