Franchise tag

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some teams have started to put tags on players. Who do you think we will use it on and why.

Also, that will only work provided there is a franchise tag in the new CBA!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we use it, my guess is Cullen Jenkins. Whether that means he plays next year under the tag, we negotiate a new deal in the interim, or we tag and trade him, I do not know.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think its more likely on crosby than jenkins just based on price. your looking at 13 million to franchise jenkins and 3 million to franchise crosby.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true, but it's not just a question of which they want to keep more, but also which they'd hate to see leave town with no compensation to the team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true, but it's not just a question of which they want to keep more, but also which they'd hate to see leave town with no compensation to the team.

we might get a 4th rounder if Cullen leaves just like we got a pick when kampman left. Which wouldnt be all bad.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see us using the franchise tag on anyone. If we did, it would likely be Cullen Jenkins, but we'd be on the hook to pay him the average of the top 5 DE's in the league, unless we're able to get a new deal done for a hometown discount. My guess is he wants to test the open market, as will James Jones.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehead TV has a great write up on Jenkins and the franchise tag:

Cullen Jenkins And The Franchise Tag | Cheesehead TV

Basically, unless we can tag him and re-sign him, or trade him for at least a second rounder, there's no point in using the franchise tag on him as we'll likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him once he leaves in free agency. And with the plethora of teams in the market for a solid DE who can play both the 3-4 and 4-3, value for his services is likely going to be quite high.

Lets not forget we still have Mike Neal and Johnny Jolly due back next year. Not to mention the developmental players and anyone we draft.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was all for keeping Jenkins long term, but with a list of Raji, Pickett, Neal, Jolly, CJ Wilson, Howard Green, and Wynn, plus a draft pick or two, Jenkins is a luxury we don't need to pay extra for. A 3-4th round draft pick should be fine for depth and potential.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh god your not going to start correcting people too are you? get got watever. Most likely a 3rd rounder watever way you want to call it.

LOL, not trying to nitpick, just pointing out that it's this year not last year that we get it. It's probably a 3rd which is awesome, we could turn it into Casey Mathews :D:happy0005:

Members online

Latest posts