1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Franchise tag question

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by gopkrs, Jan 6, 2015.

1. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    1st off ... I am looking for The Pack to play an excellent game on Sunday.
    I read that if Detroit were to franchise sou; it would cost them nearly $27 million. How is that? I thought it was an average of the top 5 salaries at that position. Thanx.

2. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    It's the average of top 5 salaries or 120% of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. Suh makes about $22.4 million and 120% of that is about $27 million.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +507
    Holy crap, that's a lotttttttt of money to squeeze under any salary cap.

4. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +737
    Which is why Suh will be a free agent next season. Honestly, if I were another team, the guy I'd go after is Fairley. He'll cost a third as much and might be 95% as good as Suh.

5. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Thanx Carl...good info

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,749
    It looks like the Lions have a $10 mil cap/dead cap number for Suh for next year regardless of whether Suh is re-signed. This evidently resulted from a couple of salary-for-signing-bonus swaps along the way in order to defer cap hit:

http://overthecap.com/player/ndamukong-suh/1816

So, while $27 mil is out of the question to start with, it's gets worse since tagging him at that amount would result in a $37 mil cap hit in 2015 with the $10 mil hangover.

The Lions have a $120 mil cap commitment already for next season including that $10 mil Suh number already on the books. Adding $27 mil would likely put them over the top with just that one player.

Then there's Detroit's other unrestricted free agents, 20 in all, including Fairly and two starting OL. They have 5 total DL who will be free agents.

The $10 mil Suh hangover for 2015 gives the Lions a significant incentive to get him signed to a long-term deal; taking that cap hit for a guy no longer on the roster is painful. They'll be looking to repeat the cap hit deferral process...a big signing bonus that can be spread over the term of the contract for cap purposes with low front end salary numbers.

The media kibitzing on this matter says Suh is likely to use Watt's 6 year / $100 mil deal as a benchmark in testing the free agent market. Even with a creatively structured deal, it doesn't look the Lions can swallow anything like that given the other free agents and the pre-existing 2015 commitments.

I'm sure many here will be pleased to know Detroit is officially entering cap purgatory. While not as bad as the 49er's cap hell ($153 mil in cap commitments already for next season), they shared the approach of loading up to get through a narrow win-now window. Some rebuilding must ensue.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    As an Auburn Tigers fan I saw Nick play. His best year by far was his junior year. He was a nasty D-Lineman a guy Green Bay could use. HOWEVER, since coming out early I have seen too many injury issues to warrant any draft pick loss to sign him. Also when he does play he's not what he was.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Fairley will be an UFA after this season so the Packers wouldn't lose any draft picks by signing him (aside of compensatory picks of course which I would be fine with though).

I guess he will ask for way too much money though so the Packers shouldn't think about going after him.

9. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +737
    When he was healthy this year he was one the best seven defensive tackles in the nfl.

10. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    JJ Watt is better than Suh, a lot less likely to miss games and, from what I can tell, a model pro. No way does Suh get his money.

You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance here but the cap's around $140m, right? So how do SF get round that? If they cut people do they still have to pay them?

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    The Niners will be allowed to carry over $3.3 million in cap space for 2014 to next season. That will still leave them above the cap for 2015 so they'll have to either release some players saving them some cap space (in this case only the remaining prorated signing bonus will count against the cap) or renegotiate existing contracts.

12. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    That makes sense. Thanks for the information. I thought teams still had to pay a player for the duration of their contract if they got cut, hence the confusion.

RE Suh: I don't know if the Lions can afford him at that price but I can't see them losing him and Nick Fairley in the same offseason

13. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5593/ndamukong-suh

"The Lions are willing to slap the franchise tag on Suh even though it would cost a staggering $26.7 million. The Lions would have to move mountains to get that number under the cap, but it can't be completely ruled out."

Have fun with that, Lions.

If I'm Suh and I get tagged, I sign the tag immediately and guarantee myself an insane amount for one season and then get to hit free agency next year,

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I didn't see the quote you posted adambr2, but this is on the linked page from rotoworld:
    But you're right about about the danger of franchising him.

15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Not sure if that works out for Suh though as the Lions probably would do it once again in 2016 and lowball him with a $32.04 million, one-year franchise tag.

16. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    $60M for 2 years for a non QB. Not bad.

17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    I probably should have put a sarcasm hint somewhere in my previous post.

18. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    So do they “butcher” their roster and franchise him or do they commit huge dollars to sign him long-term? Or do they let him go in FA and secure the best compensation pick in the 2016 draft? Was the double step on Rodgers a blip on the radar or does he remain a child emotionally? Tough, tough decisions that make me :D.

19. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    I picked it up. I was just saying, that'd be one hell of a take if they actually did it.

20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,749
    People say stuff they don't mean. This is one of those cases. There is no way they will tag him.