Franchise battle Packers vs 49ers

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since its SB week and one of the marquee franchise is playing Sunday, lets have a battle of the franchises.

All time Roster Packers offense

Coach - Lombardi

QB - Starr
RB - Ahman Green
RB - Jim Taylor
WR - Sharpe
WR - Hutson
TE - Coffman
T - Gregg
G- Gillingham
C- Ringo
G - Michalske
T - Hubbard

All time roster 49ers offense

Coach - Walsh

QB - Montana
RB -Craig
RB- Gore
WR-Rice
WR- Owens
TE - Davis
T - St Clair
G -Cross
C -Sapolu
G -McIntyre
T - Barton

Of the 12 spots up for battle I give the 9ers an edge in 3 of them (Gore over Green, Walsh over Lombardi, Davis over Coffman).

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sharpe over Lofton??? Walsh over Lombardi???

Lofton is in the Hall of Fame...and...I almost bought a jersey with a player's name on it. Lofton's...still my favorite Packer.

Lombardi won 5 Championships in 7 years. Still the gold standard. Factor out all of the crap that kids educated via ESPN toss into every discussion about the game changing...blah blah blah...and it all boils down to championships, right? 5 in 7 years. 5 championships in 7 years when the game was still a "power" game.

Not taking a thing away from Walsh because the 9'ers have been my 2nd favorite team since the days of John Brodie lighting it up with Gene Washington ... Walsh was a great innovator to be sure and the man knew how to win. However, bottom line being Championships.... 5 in 7.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharpe over Lofton??? Walsh over Lombardi???

Lofton is in the Hall of Fame...and...I almost bought a jersey with a player's name on it. Lofton's...still my favorite Packer.

Lombardi won 5 Championships in 7 years. Still the gold standard. Factor out all of the crap that kids educated via ESPN toss into every discussion about the game changing...blah blah blah...and it all boils down to championships, right? 5 in 7 years. 5 championships in 7 years when the game was still a "power" game.

Not taking a thing away from Walsh because the 9'ers have been my 2nd favorite team since the days of John Brodie lighting it up with Gene Washington ... Walsh was a great innovator to be sure and the man knew how to win. However, bottom line being Championships.... 5 in 7.

Sharpe over Lofton bc at his best Sharpe was the best WR in the nfl at the time. Led the league in receptions 3x, yards 1 time, and TDs 2x. He was an all pro 3x in 7 seasons. Lofton was a 1x all pro and never led the league in anything. He has volume stats and had the hof jacket but wasnt the better player.

Lombardi was a great motivator but Walsh had him beat on the Xs and Os. Both had dynasties. One is part of a coaching tree and the other isnt. Paul Brown imo is the greatest coach of all time, so if anything its a credit to him. you could say the coaching is a draw though

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Ivo on Sharpe. I'd take Sharpe in his prime over just about anyone. Not gonna leave him off the list just because he got cut short.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since its SB week and one of the marquee franchise is playing Sunday, lets have a battle of the franchises.

All time Roster Packers offense

Coach - Lombardi

QB - Starr
RB - Ahman Green
RB - Jim Taylor
WR - Sharpe
WR - Hutson
TE - Coffman
T - Gregg
G- Gillingham
C- Ringo
G - Michalske
T - Hubbard

All time roster 49ers offense

Coach - Walsh

QB - Montana
RB -Craig
RB- Gore
WR-Rice
WR- Owens
TE - Davis
T - St Clair
G -Cross
C -Sapolu
G -McIntyre
T - Barton

Of the 12 spots up for battle I give the 9ers an edge in 3 of them (Gore over Green, Walsh over Lombardi, Davis over Coffman).
I like all the Packer picks here, but with the 49ers, I'd go with HOF'er Joe Perry over Gore, and Bart Oates or Forrest Blue over Sapolu. That wouldn't change the Packers' overall edge in the match ups, though.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Lombardi was a great motivator but Walsh had him beat on the Xs and Os. Both had dynasties. One is part of a coaching tree and the other isnt. Paul Brown imo is the greatest coach of all time, so if anything its a credit to him. you could say the coaching is a draw though
Lombardi was no slouch with the X's and O's himself, I've heard others talk about his knowledge. Madden in particular.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi was no slouch with the X's and O's himself, I've heard others talk about his knowledge. Madden in particular.

His offense was pretty simplistic and he stole the defense from a certain conworker in NY.

Walsh's offense is still a major part of the nfl.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like all the Packer picks here, but with the 49ers, I'd go with HOF'er Joe Perry over Gore, and Bart Oates or Forrest Blue over Sapolu. That wouldn't change the Packers' overall edge in the match ups, though.

I took the franchise leaders in rushing on that one, but I could absolutely see perry over gore.

Members online

Latest posts