Foxsports-on the Packers

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must be beyond knowledgeable, they must have a crystal ball to be able to judge a player so soon who has played so little. Based on that I wouldn't put much stock in ANYTHING they say. Obviously a Chicago fan.
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Reaction score
FOX.... need I say more? You know, sometimes it amazes me how these idiots are able to get a job, and then actually keep it. I think someone needs to pass them some toilet paper and tell them to wipe their mouths because they are talking $hit. :evil:

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really is amazing how these sports writers can assess the potential career of a rookie QB based on his performance in his first 4 preseason games. Personally, I thought Rodgers showed improvement each game he played. This may not have been reflected in his numbers, but as far as reads and keeping his head went, I thought he was doing well. I have only seen the highlights of the Tennessee game, but I will be watching it when I get home tomorrow morning.

When the draft was on, I was hoping for the Pack to choose a big defensive player in the first round. However, after they picked Rodgers I realized what a gift that could end up being for the Pack's future. We really won't know for a few years when Rodgers takes over as starter and we see what he can do on a regular basis. However, I am confidant that he will prove to be a worthy choice to take over QB duties from Favre.

As far as Orton goes, lets wait to see how he performs in a regular season game vs. an all-veteran starting line before anyone crowns him the NFL's next Golden Boy. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
As far as Orton goes, lets wait to see how he performs in a regular season game vs. an all-veteran starting line before anyone crowns him the NFL's next Golden Boy. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley
True. I am not expecting Joe Montana. Just manage the offense and please be a hell of a lot better than Chad Hutchinson!

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Pssst - I wanted the Packers to draft Kyle Orton, too!

Right now, it's all a guessing game.

I had no idea Rodgers would fall to us (DUH!) but I'm glad we took him. It was a no-brainer. I was hoping we would have taken a D-lineman and a D-back and then a qb in the 3rd or 4th. I figured our guy was going to be Charlie Frye (who I think is going to be the best QB in the 2005 draft class, BTW).
We got Rodgers and I'm totally happy with that. For these Fox Sports morons to predict something like this about Rodgers so early is ludicrous.

I can't wait to see all these geniuses eat some crow. :evil:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
IPBprez said:
Pssst - I wanted the Packers to draft Kyle Orton, too!

Right now, it's all a guessing game.

I had no idea Rodgers would fall to us (DUH!) but I'm glad we took him. It was a no-brainer. I was hoping we would have taken a D-lineman and a D-back and then a qb in the 3rd or 4th. I figured our guy was going to be Charlie Frye (who I think is going to be the best QB in the 2005 draft class, BTW).
We got Rodgers and I'm totally happy with that. For these Fox Sports morons to predict something like this about Rodgers so early is ludicrous.

I can't wait to see all these geniuses eat some crow. :evil:

I'm glade that you brought him up. Like Rodgers and Orton, Frye fell farther in the draft than he should have. He was hurt at the end of his Junior year and then returned to a team that had lost some key players. He has already moved up to the # 2 spot for the Browns and will probably be a very good QB in the NFL. Another QB that a few teams will kick themselves in the *** for not drafting. I personally think that all three of these guys will have better careers than the 49ers #1 pick.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
True. I am not expecting Joe Montana. Just manage the offense and please be a hell of a lot better than Chad Hutchinson!

I am sure he is more than capable of succeeding at both of those tasks. :)

Don't get me wrong, Phil. I never said I didn't like Orton, nor do I think he is a bad QB by any stretch. My point was it is going to take a few seasons before anyone will be able to hand out the final grades for the QB Draft Class of 2005.

As far as Alex Smith goes, he is going to be in a difficult position seeing the uphill climb SF is going to have to make to get anywhere near their former glory. I certainly wish him the best of luck (until the day comes when he faces GB on the gridiron). :twisted:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny part is that the argument is that GB will fail based on one draft pick!

How many times does a rookie come in and have a major impact? Barnett did great as a rookie a couple years ago, but the defense had similar results to the previous year.

Rodgers was a great opportunity to get a talented rookie QB to learn the offense for a couple of years without spending much. His value was greater than another backup defensive player who needs more experience.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least somebody at Fox see's hope for the Packers:

(courtesy of jsonline)

Aikman eludes rush to pick Vikings in North
Posted: Sept. 7, 2005
SportsDay

Troy Aikman has no trouble saying what many others cannot bring themselves to say: that the Green Bay Packers are the team to beat in the NFC North.

Once again the Minnesota Vikings are the "fashionable pick," according to Aikman, but there are some unsettling aspects about the Vikings, one of which he thinks has not attracted wide attention.

Aikman is the lead game analyst for Fox Sports who for the first time since he joined the network in 2001 will work a two-man booth with partner Joe Buck. Every other season he had worked in a three-man booth.

"I just have a hard time going against a team like Green Bay," Aikman said Wednesday in a teleconference with reporters. "They are pretty seasoned in a lot of areas. And they have a quarterback. I guess I say this because I used to play the position, but I still believe it's a quarterback-driven league and I don't agree with anybody who says that we win because we just don't want our quarterback to lose games. I think when you go in with that approach, you are not going to win many. Certainly they are going to go as far as Brett Favre takes them. So I still believe they are the team to beat."

Aikman said he thought the onus was on the Vikings to prove they can go ahead and actually win the division while starting yet another season as a favorite.

"The Minnesota Vikings have been kind of the fashionable pick there in the North for the last couple of seasons," Aikman said. "They have started out for the most part fairly well at the beginning of the year and faded down the stretch.

"This year people think they have a chance to improve from where they were a year ago. But I think that's pretty much true for all 32 teams. I don't know anybody that would be going into this season and not feel that they upgraded their team from where they were.

"Everybody is quick to say Green Bay is probably not going to be where they were a year ago, that this is going to be the start of their decline. I don't know about that."

The departure of wide receiver Randy Moss has attracted huge attention, but the Vikings had to fill another void as well.

"One of the areas that I don't think has been given a lot of attention, the fact that they lost Scott Linehan, the offensive coordinator for them," Aikman said. "He went to Miami. I know for a fact that he was a real ally for Daunte Culpepper and Daunte gives him a lot of credit for his development. You wonder how much he is going to miss Scott Linehan. I know what it's like to lose a coordinator that you feel good about, like what he is doing from a scheme and allows you to play well."

Aikman was surprised the Packers let both their guards go, particularly Mike Wahle, who signed with Carolina. Marco Rivera went to Aikman's former team, the Dallas Cowboys.

"I don't think there is any question that they are going to miss losing those two guards," Aikman said. "It surprises me that they lost Mike Wahle because in talking with MikeSherman last year, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that they would probably have to lose one of them. They wanted to keep Mike Wahle because he was the younger guy and had a little more up side at this point in his career. Yet they lost him to Carolina."

With the exception of guard, Aikman sees pretty much the same team as last year, a team that won 10 games.

"They are not a whole lot different," Aikman said. "Brett is playing really great football. I would expect that to continue. I don't think he is going to just drop off the map after the year he had.

"Defensively, Jim Bates was in Dallas with me as a defensive line coach before he went to Miami as defensive coordinator. I thought at the time he was in Dallas he was a terrific defensive coach and felt that he would do exceptionally well as the defensive coordinator for Miami. And he did.

"He had some good players to work with. He doesn't have near that kind of talent in Green Bay on the defensive side of the ball. But I think he is going to get the absolute most out of that defense. I don't know exactly what that is right now, but I do believe it will be a lot better than what it's been."

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a little early to say that Rodgers is no good. I did like both Orton and Adrian MacPherson in the middle rounds in this year's draft, taking Rodgers really was a no brainer.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the big deal. Rodgers won't play this year anyway. If we do bomb this year we will have a more favorable draft pick and we can always trade Rodgers. Pointless dribble. Wolf almost always regretted when he had to draft a need and has since stated to draft the best player on the board reguardless of position.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always liked Aikman a whole lot..(but hated the Cowboys) and wished the Packers would have drafted him...can you imagine that...Aikman at Lambeau...!!!

I kind of felt sorry for him at the end of his career when he didn't have the same receivers to throw to, and was getting his bell rung like the Notre Dame cathedral every other play on the Dallas turf...

I think he makes some good points though regarding the QB position...that is what will tell all....that is if Favre gets enough time to make his reads and find his receivers!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aikman is one of the smarter football writers out there, so it's good to see him saying positive things about the Packers. He was a great QB too--very calm in clutch situations.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
They must be beyond knowledgeable, they must have a crystal ball to be able to judge a player so soon who has played so little.

I think it's really hard to say, either way, how the Packers will do. I predicted them to go 10-6 in another thread based largely on their schedule. But, a lot more has changed in Green Bay than most of the "pundits" realize. Very few even mention Bates, and NONE mention what the Packer D went through last year with Slowik (changing the scheme on a Saturday before the game - think about how ludicrous that is!). It also appears that we're learning how to tackle, another thing everyone seems to be missing. To say that we'll be WORSE than last year is a stretch, IMO - not the other way around. Bill Simmons from ESPN page 2 thinks the Packers will go 4-12! I think the reason for this (and most of the other bad predictions for the Pack) stem from people taking a "snapshot" view of them. Lost 2 great guards, Favre is "old" (umm..4,000 yds and 30 tds last year..), no improvement on the Defense (wrong! Collins, I think the combo of Lenon/Thomas/Manning is better than Navies, Joey Thomas and Carroll have had a year to mature, even Roman should be better in Bates' system, etc.). The Packers were very quiet in their areas of improvement, which seem subtle, or non-existent to some. While other teams in the NFC North had "loud" offseasons - but really, are they really that much better than before? Anyways, it's way too hard to say and how often are these guys actually right? I think sports media members are on the baseball hitter's scale of success - batting .300 and you're a superstar.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Aikman is one of the smarter football writers out there, so it's good to see him saying positive things about the Packers. He was a great QB too--very calm in clutch situations.
I am a life long Cowboys hater but Aikman is a good guy.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose it makes good news to say the Packers are going to fall. The Packers have been one of the most consistently-winning football teams in the last what - 13 years?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts