Fox Sports on "The Call"

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with Jenkins' QB hit

With 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter on Monday night, with the score 27-24 Seattle, Cullen Jenkins was called for roughing the passer on a third down that should've taken the Seattle offense off the field.

Enough is officially enough.

These horrendous calls — just like the Justin Smith on Bruce Gradkowski hit, like the Victor Hobson on Tom Brady hit — to name two of at least 10 that come to mind — are ruining this game.

IT'S FOOTBALL! Not tennis.

Jenkins pressured Hasselbeck on this crucial third down. The defensive linemen did absolutely nothing illegal, taking Hasselbeck down as he released the ball, hitting him in the back with one arm, while wrapping the other arm around his waste. It wasn't late. It wasn't helmet-to-helmet. It was actually a rather good and fairly ordinary hit. That is, until the flag inexplicably came out.

Now there is no question in my mind Seattle still wins this game. But that was a huge play, keeping Seattle's offense on the field for a long, sustained touchdown drive to ice the game at 34-24.

The NFL's competition committee needs to do something about this — and fast.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6215622

I agree, except for the Seattle winning part. What a homer

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning teams get those calls. Losing teams don't get those calls. It has always been that way. It's not right, but it is the way it is. it was a terrible call and it turned the game around for them.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:jumpflame: B.S. Let's get back to playing footnall and get rid of these flag happy A**holes. there was a time when the QB actually was part of the game and could be hit just like any of the other ball carriers and I'm all for returning to that format. The NFL is beginning to look a lot like a Chinese Fire Drill and you can also ****-can the idea that the ground causes a fumble. Modern football is enough to gag an elephant. Enough already with the surrender flags.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'ROUGHING' was the second headline on PTI, and Wilbon went off, saying that the NFL competition committee really has to look at this bs...you know they wont

and you know it was a bad call when Theissman thought it wasnt roughing

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest plays in games are now made by the officals. They can keep any drive alive or kill it with their calls. Look back at last years Superbowl, maybe the refs are paying back. Last night's game has a much different momentum with out some key bogus offical's calls. For example with the packers up and a stop on third down, they call illegal contact, instead of a field goal it's a touchdown. Then the Jenkins hit on third down forcing Seattle to punt, instead another touchdown. That's 11 points right there. I watch these games and get sick at the refs calls. I would like the NFL to put out a video to demonstrate what constitutes holding and not, what constitutes offensive pass and defensive pass interference and what is not. Then they could compare the video to their ref's calls on the field, they would become as sick and iratated as us. Or you could just put on professional wrestling, it's more on the level.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest plays in games are now made by the officals. They can keep any drive alive or kill it with their calls. Look back at last years Superbowl, maybe the refs are paying back. Last night's game has a much different momentum with out some key bogus offical's calls. For example with the packers up and a stop on third down, they call illegal contact, instead of a field goal it's a touchdown. Then the Jenkins hit on third down forcing Seattle to punt, instead another touchdown. That's 11 points right there. I watch these games and get sick at the refs calls. I would like the NFL to put out a video to demonstrate what constitutes holding and not, what constitutes offensive pass and defensive pass interference and what is not. Then they could compare the video to their ref's calls on the field, they would become as sick and iratated as us. Or you could just put on professional wrestling, it's more on the level.

If you make that call, any way you look at it its a terrible call...but for it to prolong possession in the 4th of quarter in a tight game, henceforth eliminating us from the playoff race...it makes it that much harder to accept...and you're correct the refs are the determining factor in the games nowadays...

and two plays later or so you see jeramy stevens grabbing kampman's arm from behind and let it slide, whatever, i'll just stop there

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the worst call I've seen in a long time, and it happened at a crucial time. I think the Seahawks probably would've won anyway, but we'll never know for sure, will we?

The refs should adopt an "innocent until proven guilty" policy. That is, they should not call penalties unless they see them for sure. Too many refs are just guessing out there. The worst thing about that call was that Jenkins actually pulled his hand back to make it crystal clear that he was not roughing the QB. But they called the penalty anyway. I guess these guys may as well just kill the QB and try to take him out of the game, if they're going to get penalized either way.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The roughing the passer thing is outta hand. The Giants lost the game because guys are afraid of getting called. Did anyone see the DLineman let Vince Young go on 4th down because he thought he dumped it off and didn't want to get called for roughing?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any kind of call good or bad changes the momentum of the game, this call was stupid and shouldnt have been flagged, I think we could have came back to win this game without this call...IMO that is..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The roughing the passer thing is outta hand. The Giants lost the game because guys are afraid of getting called. Did anyone see the DLineman let Vince Young go on 4th down because he thought he dumped it off and didn't want to get called for roughing?

Yup I saw that and was like WTF...at 1st thought he stopped cuz he heard a whistle blow..

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: When the players react to flag happy zebras; it is no longer a game. It becomes a case of who the zebras think may be guilty of something. Wonder what the reaction would be if the fans began fining the officials for boneheaded calls. After every game the fan committee would announce the guilty parties names and issue a ticket for the boneheaded call and the amopunt of thefine. Say, beginning at $5,000.00 and going up depending on the level of stupidity in the call.
As I've said in another post the NFL is destroying the game of Football for the fans. What we need is a large fan committee to reign in the rules committee and deal with the zebras idiotic flag throwing. H-m-m? Is burning at the cross too violent?

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad thing is I think the owners are to blame for it. They feel such a need to preotect their million $ investments that they're ruining the tradtion of the game. The way it's going Brett's streak will be passed by many guys cause how will they ever get hurt

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Right you are! My heroes were Johnny Unitas and Y.A. Tittle. Now there were a couple of real QB's that played with blood still running. Not like these modern Prima Donnas! Real football was, you weren't down until they stopped you from crawling. Ground causing a fumble was a joke! And you hadn't played a tough game unless someone had been knocked out, carted off the field and came back to play again. Todays players wouldn't stand a chance under the old rules playing one of those real football teams. Ah Well! Guess it goes along with the new society where everyone has to be protected. Guess I'm too old to change so, I tend to watch videos of the good old days. A-h-h! Those were the days my friend,

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the the old NFL films. You see guys dragged 10 yards out of bounds and slammed down. I forget who it was but he said when he was a rookie in camp in the 60's, he asked a veteran if it's always this nasty and he replied. "No, it's gets a lot worse when the season starts" Man they were tough

OP
OP
Y

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see Rich Eisen and the boys tear apart the officiating on NFL Network when they have that head official guy on to talk about controversial calls.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I love the the old NFL films. You see guys dragged 10 yards out of bounds and slammed down. I forget who it was but he said when he was a rookie in camp in the 60's, he asked a veteran if it's always this nasty and he replied. "No, it's gets a lot worse when the season starts" Man they were tough

Name escapes me but could it be a lineman from the old Baltimore Colts?

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AWFUL call. Completely took us out of the game. What can we do? Anyone we can complain to, and would it do any good? I don't mean in changing the outcome of the game.. I just mean, making someone's life miserable. In this case, that would provide me some satisfaction!

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone on another forum said that the head ref is the same one who officiated at da bears game, and he also said that when he is the head ref when the hawks are playing the hawks are 10-1. Don't know if this is true or not, but it sure makes one wonder, doesn't it?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: HTPG Yep! What I suggested in a previous post was a committee made up of fans from all the franchise cities that would meet immediately after the weekly games were over and review the zebra calls and would have the power to fine or even remove any refs that made stupid calls. Now you know that won't happen uless all the fans really start raising some hell. Give me the old time football where all members of the team were eligible to be really smacked. I remeber "Big Daddy Lipscomb", played for the Old Colts during the Unitas era. Was game in Milwaukee which no one ever attended inthose yrs., so was seated right behind the Colt bench and could overhear the conversations. Some guy is walking a duck up and down the side lines. Aftrer a bit he surrepititiously pours a bottle of booze into the Colt's water bucket. Yes! A real bucket in those days. Big Daddy comes off the field and grabs a dipper of water fom the bucket starts to drink it and then quickly spits it out. Tells the coach who also tries the water and then has it dumped out. Anyway the Colts with Unitas at the helm really creamed the Pack. And the guys comong off the field were a bloody mess. Remember there wasn't unlimited substitution back then either.

OP
OP
Y

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
Someone on another forum said that the head ref is the same one who officiated at da bears game, and he also said that when he is the head ref when the hawks are playing the hawks are 10-1. Don't know if this is true or not, but it sure makes one wonder, doesn't it?

I smell a lemon-scented conspiracy

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
carol k said:

I smell a lemon-scented conspiracy

If it is true the NFL should investigate this immediately. I'm serious too especially considering the refs have control over the game as of late. Look no farther than the Super Bowl.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Porky, it has been suggested that the refs become professionalized by having a pool of refs properly trained from which to draw. Apparently the NFL refuses to consider this option so, that couls lend some credence to the idea that the NFL prefers refs that can be swayed in their decisions. Think most refs try hard to be accurate but, have too many marginal ones who seem to enjoy the power that little yellow flag gives them. Still like my idea of a committee of fans from league cities to meet after every weekend to review, fine and chastise publicly.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to the Jim Rome show and he had this guy named Michael Francis on and he was involved with the mob and he stated anyone he new is either in prison or dead.

Anyways Rome asked him if he ever fixed a game and without any hesitation he said yes. Rome asked him what ones. He said basketball, football, baseball mainly. He told Rome that they don't fix the big games because then sometimes it can be obvious. Instead they fix the minor games. The one's in the regular season that isn't necessary on everyone's radar.

When you hear that it does make you wonder sometimes. He was doing an interview because he had a book that was coming out about everything. Can’t remember the title but I’d like to read it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine if this call was made in a playoff game which would have eliminated a team by essentially GIVING a team a two score advantage, or, at least takes the opportunity away for a field goal to tie it.

No way this gets called in a situation like that.

So the question is why was it called now?

Yo know a LOT OF MONEY changed hands over that sequence of events. I believe Seattle ended up 9 point favorites and this call got it to 10.

I'm not much into the fixing theory and Refs on the take but it sure looks cloudy when a drive is allowed to continue that absolutely affects the point spread like that.

Green Bay was covering the whole way and certain calls (like Manuel's holding call) and this phantom hit to the head deal gives the Seattle side the money.

Hmmmm.

Maybe I am being a little naive thinking that gambling dollars are not in play when it comes to what we see happen out there. We are, after all, talking millions placed on each game.

Members online

Latest posts